Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does anyone else think Sam Adam's beer sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #111
prrriiide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't hate SA. I don't particularly like them much, either. I know what the OP means about the aftertaste. I call it the Sam Adams whang, and I've only had a couple that didn't have it. The Spring Ale is really nice. They have a decent stout. The Cherry Wheat, well, I have a freeloader drawer in my beer fridge, and right now it's mostly full of Cherry Wheat.

But there's something on the back end of almost all of SA's styles that disappoints me. So much so that I generally won't buy an SA until I've tried a freebie.

That said, I have never had the opportunity to try anything from SA in Boston. I know a lot of their capacity is outsourced (to Miller, I believe?), so I wonder how much different the beer is at the brewery than it is from the bulk runs done on contract.

At the price point of SA around Knoxville, there are other beers I like far better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #112
nathanthn
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The Boston Lager fresh from the brewery is way better than any other glass of it I've had, I was really surprised at how much of a difference there was. If anyone's is in the area I highly recommend taking the tour, they are not stingy in the tasting room either. I've never had a beer from them that tasted "off" from the bottle, maybe there is a difference in production/distribution when living in MA... I would say their seasonals are hit or miss and have gone downhill in recent years. Not a fan of the Alpine Spring or Cherry Wheat at all, the Summer and Latitude 48 are very mediocre IMO, but I have been impressed with their imperial series and limited series. The Imperial Stout and Wee Heavy are very good and if you ever see the Cinderbock definately pick it up.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #113
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I dislike their mainstream beers greatly with the exception of noble pils. I have had some of their specialty offerings such as Utopias and while they are interesting, they aren't typically what I am looking for when I want to drink. Overall I think they are a very large sub par brewery and I wouldn't mind if they disappeared.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #114
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Nope.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #115
prrriiide
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I wouldn't mind if they disappeared.
I don't know that I'd go that far. Whatever you think of their beers, Jim Koch and SA have done a tremendous amount of good in advancing craft beer and homebrewing in the US. Wasn't the GABF Pro-Am his idea? I know SA sponsors it.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #116
STLExpat
Recipes 

Depends on what you're drinking in my case. The Cinderbock is good, but their winter beers give me a real bad case of rotgut.

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.facebook.com/KurtzhausBrewingCo

Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #117
turvis
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

I think they have decent beers did not like alpine spring and the cherry wheat no thank you. Doesn't Sam Adams have a class for people trying to start a brewery as in the business part of it.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #118
prrriiide
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turvis View Post
I think they have decent beers did not like alpine spring and the cherry wheat no thank you. Doesn't Sam Adams have a class for people trying to start a brewery as in the business part of it.
I believe so. Also some small loans available, but there are some long strings attached IIRC.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #119
fastenova
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm really, really unimpressed by their Boston Lager. I will drink it, after I drink everything else in the mix pack. It seems like their stuff is kind of hit or miss. I love their chocolate bock, holiday porter, noble pils, and their alpine spring; haven't really like the boston lager, winter ale, or irish red.

It saddens me that they mix some of their great beers with the Boston lager, and I have to buy mix packs containing it to get things like the scotch ale or chocolate bock (at least the past couple of years).

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #120
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I think their Boston Lager is fairly good, but my taste for it comes and goes. Their Winter Lager is perhaps my overall favorite beer. The Oktoberfest is pretty good, too.

Other than that, I've not been too fond of their styles. Had their Kölsch recently and it was pretty good, but that's one of the few times I've tried a new one and not been disappointed. Don't like the Cherry Wheat.

Regarding hoppiness and craft beers, I hate this connection. I don't like the HOP HOP HOP HOP HOP HOP approach of a lot of the "great" breweries. Sometimes, sure, but not in every beer. If this means I don't really "get" beer, then so be it, but there's more to beer than HOPS!!! SA hits the balance pretty well to my taste.

Quick Reply