Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does anyone else think Sam Adam's beer sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #101
Papachristou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLoverHere View Post
Does anyone else think Sam Adam's beer sucks .

No, i dont.

Sure, it isnt a high end beer like stone or rogue but they are pretty tasty as far as a mass produced, store bought beer goes. I admire their different varieties they have been producing lately. They are really offering a lot of different choices. Boston lager is an excellent DD, and i love their noble pils in spring/summer but i only found it once this year! i think it is much better than some of the common german pils you can buy at stores, it has more favor imo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #102
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1974 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2799

The other day I had a SA Boston Lager from a tap at an airport bar. I couldn't even finish it and at $10 a pint that was a shame. It just tasted terrible, almost skunked. I was tempted to ask the bartender when the last time the beer lines were cleaned. I'd always enjoyed the lager before but it had been awhile since I had one, (couple years) I don't know if my tastes have changed that dramatically or if was just what but that beer at the airport was sickening.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #103
MikeinCT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Except for a couple of fruit based beers - SA is tops. Also love their web site and the bottle labels come off easy. When I want commercial beer they are on the list.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #104
Papachristou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The other day I had a SA Boston Lager from a tap at an airport bar. I couldn't even finish it and at $10 a pint that was a shame. It just tasted terrible, almost skunked. I was tempted to ask the bartender when the last time the beer lines were cleaned. I'd always enjoyed the lager before but it had been awhile since I had one, (couple years) I don't know if my tastes have changed that dramatically or if was just what but that beer at the airport was sickening.
thats ironic, i had my first boston lager from tap this weekend in years. (it was that or bud light and i would rather drink lemon juice than bud light). I was super impressed by the bouquet of flavor. it almost had a fruit note to it.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #105
hoserbrau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This wasn't at DFW was it? I had the exact same experience at a TGIFridays in DFW a couple of weeks ago.

I don't mind most of SA's beers. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I enjoy the Latitude 48 (though I won't go out of my way to look for it). However, the Chocolate Bock tastes too much like Yoohoo to me. There's no way I could drink more than 1 of those in a row.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #106
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserbrau View Post
This wasn't at DFW was it? I had the exact same experience at a TGIFridays in DFW a couple of weeks ago.

I don't mind most of SA's beers. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I enjoy the Latitude 48 (though I won't go out of my way to look for it). However, the Chocolate Bock tastes too much like Yoohoo to me. There's no way I could drink more than 1 of those in a row.
An airport bar? My guess would be dirty tap lines. I'd try bottle beer next time.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #107
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sam Adams has done an amazing thing - opened up the world of better beer for millions of people.

For most of those people, it's Boston Lager. They hardly realize there are other styles of beer than lagers. (Dark beers?)

OK, I don't usually buy Sam Adams beers(well, I did get some for Octoberfest). For almost every style they make, there is a better example from a microbrewery. Will I drink a Sam Adams offered at a party or a friend's house? Yes! Will I drink BMC if that is all that's available? NO!

Most that don't like Sam Adams either:
1. Don't like the style of the beer in question and are comparing to a different style(that they like), or
2. Are comparing to a great microbrew or homebrew.

or both.

Sam Adams makes a credible beer for every style they make. They are a big company, however, and seldom match the best microbrew or homebrew available. Heck, I can't find any poured beer in Nevada that tastes as good to me as my standard IPA or Pliny clone I make. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a well made commercial beer.

Reason: the usual fast typing mistakes
Ramitt Likes This 
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #108
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I think sa is OK but if anyone anything opened my eyes to good beer it was Smithwick's

And dogfish head

Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #109
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLoverHere View Post
How the hell are they so popular and successful? I know marketing has a lot to do with it, but most all of their beers are awful and leave the nastiest aftertastes. It's just bad. I'm always suckered into buying something new of theirs and get pissed off thinking it'll be different, but it never is.
I'll go so far as to say that Sam Adams is HIGHLY OVERRATED...
BUT, it's not nearly as bad as Sierra Nevada or Ninkasi.
Regards, GF.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #110
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

According to the company, Samuel Adams uses only the finest Noble hops that cost 20x as much as average Noble hops. Their beer must be awesome!!!

I've had about 10 different Samuel Adams beers and most of them were just OK and some of them were blech. My favorite is their barrel aged Third World Trippel. It's the only SA beer that I thought was better than meh.

Quick Reply