Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does Anyone Else Dislike Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #111
CidCitrus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew99 View Post
I like both Malty Brews and Hoppy Brews.... I like Beer!
+1 and most of the time, but not always, it depends on the weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #112
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have said this before and I will say it again. Hops in beer are a lot like pepper in chili. Guys will cram in as much as they can just so they can watch you make a face when you try it- then they get to call you a wuss and tell you that you don't know what is good. I like my chili just hot enough to make my nose run. Any more is too much. My threshold with hops is prolly a strong APA. Any more is too much. I will smell your IPA; they smell great, but they taste horrible.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #113
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

"Does Anyone Else Dislike Hops?" BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #114
HappyDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
"Does Anyone Else Dislike Hops?" BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Says the man with two Hefeweizen's in the pipeline! Those should be around 10 IBU's if I'm not mistaken. Just messin with ya of course, but you see where we are coming from. Bottom line, I don't think any of us would turn down ANY beer!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #115
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To me, it all depends on the style of beer and the hops themselves, but overall, I like the hops. Most of my favorite beers have an IBU around 40 (+/- 10 or so). That would be like most American Pale Ales or mildly bitter IPA's. My favorite recipes that I have created include a big flavoring hop addition added at the last 20 minutes left in the boil using something that has a lot of citrus character like Amarillo, Cascade, or Falconer's Flight. So I guess that means I enjoy the hop flavor, but don't care much of the extreme bitterness. The aroma is great and I enjoy standing over the kettle taking in all the smell when I add hops, but I really want the flavor to come through more than anything in the final product.

Some of my other favorite beers included traditional hefes, saisons and other belgians, that have a prominent and unique yeast flavor, with low IBU, and low hop flavor. Some day soon I'll try making one of these styles with the same late addition of a citrus flavored hop. Just off the top of my head maybe something like 50-60% wheat, 2 row and munich, WLP380 for more spice and less banana, and lots of Amarillo and/or Falconer's Flight added in the last 20 minutes of boil. I'm imagining a mix of malty, spicy yeast, and citrus flavors that I think I would really enjoy.

Quick Reply