Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does Anyone Else Dislike Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #101
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Double tap kegerator = IPA on one side and stout on the other. Make's it impossible to make the wrong decision!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #102
BrewBeer74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hops are king!!Ive got several strains growing in my back yard.but my wife on the other hand she cant stand hoppy beers.she prefers a good german style lager.wich i might add has hops in it.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #103
MikeWI
Recipes 

I like hops, but not burn-your-nose-hairs-off bitter IPAs. If I'm buying beer I'll go for a bock or Scottish ale since I prefer the malty goodness.

My second batch was a honey amber ale at about 35 IBUs and that was plenty bitter for me. Now that it's a few month's old the bitter balances the honey pretty well, but I don't think I'd go much higher than that. But my 5th batch was a Pilsner-clone Ale at about 18 IBU with lots of Saaz for flavor and smell and that's just great.

Mike

Old 04-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #104
Nightstalker
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread saddens me LOLOL.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #105
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm right with you - I think it's a natural progression of beer drinking.

When I started drinking craft I loved hops - then you start to get into the subtle nuances that malt and yeast can bring to a brew.

Hops are one dimensional - give me a balanced beer where all 4 ingredients play well together and I'll get excited

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #106
tugbucket
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post

When I started drinking craft I loved hops - then you start to get into the subtle nuances that malt and yeast can bring to a brew.
True, I slowly got into hoppier beers over several years. Now the in your face burn beers I can tolerate but, slowly I am weaning myself off them. I blame Flemish Red /Lambic / Gueze and other sours for this. I still like a over the top hoppy beer every now and then but, something more well rounded (I'm looking at you Saison) is more my go to style.

Side note, because of Flemish, Lambic etc... I think I am starting to appreciate wine more.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #107
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post

Hops are one dimensional - give me a balanced beer where all 4 ingredients play well together and I'll get excited
With all due respect, hops are not one dimensional. Different types in different combinations will completely change the taste and character of any given beer. If they were truly one dimensional it would not matter what type of hop or how many of each type you used.

I also take exception with your statement about the "natural progression" of beer drinking. Perhaps it may be true for someone who is relatively young and new to beer drinking and who starts drinking IPAs because all of their friends do so. There are many of us, however, who have been drinking beers for decades, appreciate and enjoy many different styles of beer, and love hop bombs.

Personally, I tend to prefer big beers, whether it is an IIPA or a RIS, but have yet to try a Belgian that I really enjoyed. The yeast taste reminds me of the very green beer my college roommate use to brew back in the seventies. I just don't really like the taste. I understand, however, that others like or even love Belgians. It is all a matter of individual taste - not any natural progression.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #108
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldDuck

With all due respect, hops are not one dimensional. Different types in different combinations will completely change the taste and character of any given beer. If they were truly one dimensional it would not matter what type of hop or how many of each type you used.

I also take exception with your statement about the "natural progression" of beer drinking. Perhaps it may be true for someone who is relatively young and new to beer drinking and who starts drinking IPAs because all of their friends do so. There are many of us, however, who have been drinking beers for decades, appreciate and enjoy many different styles of beer, and love hop bombs.

Personally, I tend to prefer big beers, whether it is an IIPA or a RIS, but have yet to try a Belgian that I really enjoyed. The yeast taste reminds me of the very green beer my college roommate use to brew back in the seventies. I just don't really like the taste. I understand, however, that others like or even love Belgians. It is all a matter of individual taste - not any natural progression.
Hey no biggie - you like what you like in just going on what I've noticed in craft amongst friends over the last 15 years - I see people all over ipas for a few years and then dig deeper - just going from personal experience.

I still do think that these hop bomb beers are one dimensional - its all about that combo of hops and that's it - that's why most brewers use a neutral yeast like Chico - it doesn't get in the way of that one dimension - the hops.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #109
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I still don't like high IBU brews, but I DO enjoy an English pale ale, or IPA, that's more moderate in it's IBU level, but also has good hop flavor/aroma. It's not difficult to get that either. I dry hopped in keg a batch and it has GREAT hop flavor/aroma from the dry hop addition (1oz whole hops in a 3 gallon keg) for the entire keg. MUCH better, IMO, than when I dry hopped before kegging the batch. I've also done a few hop-burst batches which were balanced (IBU/GU ratio worked really well) and had great hop flavor to it.

I would suggest making a batch where you target the middle of the IBU range for the style, with a solid flavor/aroma addition to the batch. Use software so that you can be sure the IBU's don't get too high. I would do an ounce (or more) for the flavor and another ounce for aroma additions if an ale. Porters and stouts would be just flavor, and probably an ouce... If you're set up for kegging, try dry hopping in keg for either an ale or IPA and see how you like it. I would drop the hops (whole hops being my preference) in a nylon bag and let them float free. I didn't send mine to the bottom in the last batch and really enjoyed it. I also found that the hops (in the hop bag) were just wet from the brew, with no extra beer in the bag, or bottom of the keg.

If you want, experiment with hop bursting batches. There's plenty of info on it online. Basically, you add ALL your hops from 20 minutes from the end forward. It means you're adding a lot more hops to the batch, but what you get is really worth it in the right style brew (ales, pale ales and IPAs especially). It's another case where I'm glad I use a hop spider with my kettle/keggle...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #110
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I like both Malty Brews and Hoppy Brews.... I like Beer!

Quick Reply