Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

42 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

+10 my son just turned 1 and by the time he is ten i want him to start to learn about alcohol the more you know the less you drink although i probably wont give him his firs drink until about 12

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

when I was 18 my parents started allowing me to drink at certain events. (christmas, NYE, packer games)

in WI, I could even drink at a bar as long as my parents were there. That law might have changed, but it was legal when I was 18.

not really sure how much respect it taught me. i mean, i don't usually overdo it today, but college was....a different story....

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySquirrel View Post
Do you apply the same reasoning to drinking? Is you son taking a sip of homebrew like going 5 over? I mean, I wouldn't drive 90 through my neighborhood, just like I wouldn't split a 30 bomb with my son.
As compelled as I might be to agree with this line of thinking... at least in states like mine where it's completely illegal under any circumstances, some government and law enforcement authorities regard provision of alcohol to a dependent minor as tantamount to child abuse.

So... if you don't live in a parental consent state, be very careful, or you may find yourself on the ugly end of a child protective services audit.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
TheWall
Recipes 

Both of my parents drank throughout my childhood. Growing up in a German family (and being a Catho-holic), I was exposed at a very young age to alcohol. I am thankful they taught me how to respect alcohol when I was young. I love good drinks, homebrew, etc., and had the college experience. I believe that the people I have met who are sheltered from all alcohol are the people who end up in trouble with alcohol later in life, especially in college.

Plus my dad drank Red Dog. That was my first beer experience. Needless to say I didn't touch beer for quite a while following that.

Teach your kids to respect it regardless if you let them drink it or not.

Edit: Note that I'm 24, no kids, just speaking from my short life lessons.

Last edited by TheWall; 01-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 213

I'm surprised people have mentioned the law here and no one has yet quoted the irony of a 21 year old drinking age yet we can send 18 year old kids to fight wars and possibly be killed.

When I was growing up the only time I was allowed to have a drink was on New Years and maybe another special occasion or two. It was usually just a small glass of champagne or wine. When I was 16 I started drinking with friends, indoors within our houses hanging out. We never really did the drink in a park thing. We also never got into trouble and enjoyed ourselves, though of course there were a number of times we got plastered and sick.

My step father always told us, and my mother, that he doesn't mind if we drink in the house because he personally felt it was better than us drinking out in a park somewhere getting into trouble, and we respected him for that. I've traveled all over the world many times and I've been all over Europe many times as the wife and I have our favorites spots we go to. The 16 year old kids in Germany, for example, drinking beer are better behaved than most legal young adults that drink here.

Rev.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

Reminds me of Barry Mcguire's "eve of destruction" from our day. you're old enough to kill,but not for votin. You don't believe in war,but what's that gun yer totin?...You can bury your dead,but don't leave a trace. It's your next door neighbor! But don't forget to say grace... Really speaks the hipocrisy of it all. That's why when we were that age,we pushed to have the law changed to 18 for 3.2% beer.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

like many others, when i was growing up dad always let us nab sips off his brew. carlin's black label or stroh's usually. when we were a bit older, like over 10 or so, on holidays like thanksgiving and christmas we were allowed a glass of wine with the family dinner and on new years, we were always allowed a glass of champagne to toast in the new year with friends and family. when i turned 18, i was allowed to have a beer or two in the evenings with my parents if i was staying at home and not having friends over. whereas i wasn't an angel by any means, i've never been one to drink for the purpose of getting a buzz.
i have two teenage step sons and we aren't as permissive as my parents were, a sip of homebrew or a glass of champagne on new years isn't unheard of. our older boy enjoys home soda making and we allow him to naturally carbonate his soda with yeast, under adult supervision and with adult inspection of the soda after carbonation. he's learning to respect yeast for what they do to our beverages, be it producing carbonation in his soda pop, or alcohol in beer and wine. i believe that not only does that teach a good lesson about what alcohol really is, it gives him a hobby he can carry with him throughout his life. i think it's all about teaching responsibility about drinking and alcohol. it's a very rare day that either of us get drunk, and even more rare for that to happen when kids are around.
FWIW, my attitude about this is 'laws shmaws', i feel that for the most part the drinking laws in the US are, as another poster stated, the morals of a few being made law for the whole. at 18, not only can a young man or woman fight and die for questionable causes our nation takes on, they can have a say so in who makes the laws of our nation. i think if we're expecting what amounts to older children to take on such adult responsibilities, the least we can do is help them become responsible adults, not just when it comes to drinking, but in every aspect of life.
except for in a handful of states, a minor can consume a beverage in the home with parental supervision.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 564

As a relatively new dad, my (somewhat) irrational/protective instinct is to lower the drinking age to 16 and to raise the driving age to somewhere north of 30.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Grumpy I actually cite for going five over. If its a residential and the posted speed limit is 25, if there is school in session it is 15. Going 5 over in that case results in a 55.00 cite. Same for construction zones, fines are doubled, so 5 over in a construction zone is usually automatically 150.00 cite. The chief and the city manager get quite upset if we let things like that go being that the state is broke.

With that being said, the military taught me some very important things, and one was I am not a lawyer. My job is to enforce the law as was written to the letter. So long as you go by the book, you can't go wrong. I don't enforce the spirit of the law, but rather the letter. I have seen a lot of people turned from NCOs into airmen, and berets disappear because of underage drinking, DUI, and providing to a minor. I use the same integrity and standards I learned in SF and apply them to the civilian world. The fact that I'm still reserve still holds me to the standards my wing commander set as well as core values. Alcohol offenses have a zero tolerance policy, and will result in article 15 in the least. This includes providing a "sip" to a minor.

While each state may allow parents to be irresponsible, the federal government says the drinking age is 21. No state law supersedes federal law.

If my chief learned I was supplying alcohol to a minor, in the very least it would be days on the beach, an IA opened, and probably my patches stripped with my career in law enforcement over.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #30
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly View Post
While each state may allow parents to be irresponsible, the federal government says the drinking age is 21. No state law supersedes federal law.
this is the dumbest thing I've ever read on HBT. hands. down.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
People Like This 

Quick Reply