Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #231
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
Maybe you's guys spend too much time on here go brew beer!
Touché!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
DoubleAught Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #232
edds5p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Starting around age 15, I was allowed wine at holiday dinners and I got to have beer with dad while making dinner on the grill. I also did drink at my friend's homes with parents there and keys confiscated. I am going to allow and encourage my son to enjoy beer and hopefully have some self-control before he is on his own in the world.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #233
BlackRock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Growing up my parents never drank much of any beer but they did like their wine. I helped my dad build a wine closet and bottle racks along with a number other wine hobby related things. I also had one side of the family that never seemed to drink much of anything and the other that drank to excess at holiday gatherings so I remember as a little kid seeing a big difference between the two. I do remember having sips of wine and a small glass now and again. Sometimes my dad would give me a bit and explain something about it but I never remember having it in any sort of quantity though I also don't remember it ever being something that was taboo. In the end I feel like I chose myself not to drink in high school or really until I was 21 but I'm not sure if it was my parents or seeing some of my family drink too much. It also could have simply been the fact it never seemed like anything that exciting. Wine was boring and didn't taste very good. It was something my parents "aka - old people" did and I just never thought much about it.

So now fast forward a bunch of years and I've got my own kids at 1 and 3. My daughter is simply too little but my son has asked for beer to which I've poured a sip and said sure... Oh, it was funny to see the look on his face after trying some IIPA I had that evening. He's never asked again, but I think I'll try not to make it much of an issue if I can. We will probably brew and do beer related hobby stuff together and over time he will probably learn as much about beer growing up as I did about wine. My hope is that when they are old enough they will have been introduced to the concept in an environment that was responsible with it and will choose to do the same. Seems to me the kids I remember growing up with who drank in excess early in life were people like the "Minister's son", the "Principle's daughter" or the local "drunks" kid. You know what I mean. Basically the kids who's parents were either overly strict against alcohol or those who had parents that abused it.

I think all I can do is set a good example and see what happens.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #234
Lumpy16
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly
Grumpy I actually cite for going five over. If its a residential and the posted speed limit is 25, if there is school in session it is 15. Going 5 over in that case results in a 55.00 cite. Same for construction zones, fines are doubled, so 5 over in a construction zone is usually automatically 150.00 cite. The chief and the city manager get quite upset if we let things like that go being that the state is broke.

With that being said, the military taught me some very important things, and one was I am not a lawyer. My job is to enforce the law as was written to the letter. So long as you go by the book, you can't go wrong. I don't enforce the spirit of the law, but rather the letter. I have seen a lot of people turned from NCOs into airmen, and berets disappear because of underage drinking, DUI, and providing to a minor. I use the same integrity and standards I learned in SF and apply them to the civilian world. The fact that I'm still reserve still holds me to the standards my wing commander set as well as core values. Alcohol offenses have a zero tolerance policy, and will result in article 15 in the least. This includes providing a "sip" to a minor.

While each state may allow parents to be irresponsible, the federal government says the drinking age is 21. No state law supersedes federal law.

If my chief learned I was supplying alcohol to a minor, in the very least it would be days on the beach, an IA opened, and probably my patches stripped with my career in law enforcement over.
Glad I'm from Canada, and feel that most of the cops here aren't on quite as big of a power trip. If what gets you wet is ticketing a dad for giving his 20 year old son a beer, that's a joke. Not to mention the law makes no sense. You can drive, and go to war but dont you dare have a beer or you get a ticket. I don't need to use my self as an example because like everyone else I started drinking before the legal age and it hasn't messed me up. Get off your power trip super cop.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #235
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks like it was about to die so thought I'd put it back on the front page

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #236
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

That guy isn't even a real cop. He mentioned being "SF" too much in his posts. "SF" meaning "Security Forces", not Special Forces. Being from Canada doesn't save you from cops like this, there's very few here also who act like this guy says he acts.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #237
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRock View Post

I think all I can do is set a good example and see what happens.
I think that's kinda the long and short of this whole thing. :slaps himself for not just trolling this thread at this point: Our boys are older now, 16 and 13, so it's a whole 'nother ( ) ballgame. When they were younger, we could say that beer or wine were for "mommies and daddies" or "grown up drinks" and laugh at the rare occasion that they asked for a sip, only to pucker in disgust when we obliged. Now that they're older, especially with the oversized 16 year old (~6'2" 230), we have to be more real with them.
I really think it's all about perception. The kid's perception. Like someone else pointed out, if you play ostrich and pretend that realities don't happen, your children are going to have no clue how to deal with reality when it inevitably does. That applies to alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. Conversely, if you over consume with no regard for the dangers of alcohol abuse, along with letting your children run the show at home, you're going to have a whole 'nother (yes! twice in one rant!) set of issues to deal with.
Like with most things in life, brewing included, raising children (properly) is about balance.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
jonmohno Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #238
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
On that firearms thing... I would consider it irresponsible parenting to NOT teach your children how to safely handle firearms. Like knowing how to work the safety, check to make sure they're unloaded, etc. at the minimum. Even if you don't want to learn to shoot them, you should know enough to be able to check one if you stumble across it.

And sorry for that being totally off topic.
In mine and my wife's collective 76 years on this planet, neither one of us has ever "stumbled across" a firearm, nor known anyone who has. I have never been to Kansas, so maybe that's a cultural thing, but I firmly believe in the 2nd amendment, I have handled and fired firearms, but I'd move if I lived in an environment where my child might accidentally stumble across a firearm.

Regarding my child and beer: My daughter loves to taste sips of daddy's new beer as they come out. She is 8 and one time I poured her about 1oz in a glass, and she looked at me and said: "but this is small enough so that it's safe for a child to drink right dad?". She knows that alcohol is something her mom and I enjoy in moderation, and she's never seen either of us visibly drunk.

I OTOH was raised in a strict Southern Baptist family and my mother claimed to have never had a drop of alcohol across her lips. I took every opportunity away from home to binge as much as I could without getting caught. I outgrew my desire to binge (more like I got tired of hangovers) but I often wonder if my relationship with alcohol during my young adult days 18-23 would've been different if I hadn't lived in a home where alcohol use was binary.

I'm not sure one way is right or the other is wrong, but I believe I'll be the one to teach my daughter about alcohol, and not her friends.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #239
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
In mine and my wife's collective 76 years on this planet, neither one of us has ever "stumbled across" a firearm, nor known anyone who has. I have never been to Kansas, so maybe that's a cultural thing, but I firmly believe in the 2nd amendment, I have handled and fired firearms, but I'd move if I lived in an environment where my child might accidentally stumble across a firearm.

Regarding my child and beer: My daughter loves to taste sips of daddy's new beer as they come out. She is 8 and one time I poured her about 1oz in a glass, and she looked at me and said: "but this is small enough so that it's safe for a child to drink right dad?". She knows that alcohol is something her mom and I enjoy in moderation, and she's never seen either of us visibly drunk.

I OTOH was raised in a strict Southern Baptist family and my mother claimed to have never had a drop of alcohol across her lips. I took every opportunity away from home to binge as much as I could without getting caught. I outgrew my desire to binge (more like I got tired of hangovers) but I often wonder if my relationship with alcohol during my young adult days 18-23 would've been different if I hadn't lived in a home where alcohol use was binary.

I'm not sure one way is right or the other is wrong, but I believe I'll be the one to teach my daughter about alcohol, and not her friends.
It's probably because you live in CA about the gun thing, the laws there are as bad as the ones in Mass, that's why I moved to NH, lol
The only time I came across a gun in my younger years was at a christian camp in NH in 4-5th grade! lol Now it's everyday, and you become very comfortable with them very fast.

Anyways... I never was allowed a sip, and my parents didn't drink at all when we were growing up, only the occasional beer my dad had (Milller Light). I would smell it and thought it was gross, I still can smell that stank. I always said when I was young, "I won't drink except for every once in a while, like Dad." My mom remembers me saying that.

Fast forward to College... I was free! lol. Did the partys every weekend, now at 29, I have the occasional few beers on the weekend, and maybe 1 or 2 during the week with some friends. No more parties, going out, except a few times a year. You have your fun for a little while, then you grow up and work. I am not married and therefore no kids, yet. Once married and have kids I'll do the same as jbaysurfer, and others, to introduce it at a young age, and teach responsibility.

BTW, my parents drink occasionally now, and they love my beer

Now can someone find me a beutiful woman who wants to make some babies???

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #240
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly View Post
My job is to enforce the law as was written to the letter. So long as you go by the book, you can't go wrong. I don't enforce the spirit of the law, but rather the letter.
It must be nice and simple to live in such a myopic field of view.

Quick Reply