Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Default Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

My dad was born in Munchen and I was introduced to beer at a young age. I could get sips from his glass anytime he had one. Never saw him drunk. Other than a few teenage drunks I've never been drunk myself. Yea a little tipsy, but not to the point that I didn't know what was going on. Now I drink maybe 2 a day and after a hard hike maybe 3.

My two daughters got to taste both beer and wine as they grew up. Beer didn't do anything for them and they still don't do beer. We use to have wine tasting at home and my dad, wife and the two girls would taste different wine w/me. As far as I know neither of them overdue any alcohol.

One daughter's husband is on the wagon for over 10 years and there is no alcohol at there house. I worry bout my grand kids learning hot to drink to enjoy in and not just to get drunk.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

In countries/societies that don't put such a heavy stigma on drinking there seems to be less problems. At least that has been my experience in talking to people who grew up in them. Myself I occasionally got a sip from dad and he would take me to the bars to shoot pool or throw darts (obviously I didn't drink at them, lol) so it was never a big rebellion thing for me to drink when I was in my teens. I went to parties and drank and whatnot but seldom over indulged like most teens. Heck I was frequently the taxi even before the term designated driver became a catch phrase.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

When I have kids sure. Beer is good for everyone including children regardless of the "law"

Time to have some fun

Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I must say absolutely not. The law states the drinking age is 21, so I will not authorize under age drinking.

I understand the argument behind revealing the mystery behind alcohol to kids, and after living in europe for quite a while I see both sides of the coin. However, the law is the, and as one who is tasked with enforcing laws it would show a lack of integrity to allow my children to break laws. If anything they are held to a higher standard.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

My 18 year old son was home from college this Xmas and he tried my homemade brew and liked it. I was really proud to have one of my beers with my son.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

panfishrfun Likes This 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

I have only one kid below 18,& only one likes beer. My oldest is multi-handicapped,& doesn't like anything with bubbles. So I guess that's good.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly
I must say absolutely not. The law states the drinking age is 21, so I will not authorize under age drinking.

I understand the argument behind revealing the mystery behind alcohol to kids, and after living in europe for quite a while I see both sides of the coin. However, the law is the, and as one who is tasked with enforcing laws it would show a lack of integrity to allow my children to break laws. If anything they are held to a higher standard.
I had sips of beer growing up. It isn't an integrity thing it is a moment shared with your kid. Most people use it as a teaching moment. Hell, if you were tasked with upholding the law because you live to a higher standard then you would be busting people for spitting on the sidewalks. Im not saying laws aren't good. Im just saying some laws cant be applied to every situation all the time. Sometimes someones best judgement has to be used. Most people have good judgement most of the time.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah, I have 7 siblings and we all got the occasional nip from Dad's bottle (usually something like PBR or Stroh's). Thought it was perfectly normal because, well, it was.....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly View Post

You might want to make sure you know what the law actually is then

Only a minority of states actually prohibit the consumption of alcohol by minors in the home under the supervision of parents. A few states are even laxer than that. 42 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly View Post

I disagree, but understand where you're coming from if you're in the legal system. Bottom line is you have to do what you believe is right. Hell, at least you care about your kids unlike some parents.

That said, my dad gave me a sip of beer when I was 5. I think it was Bud. He never had to offer again. Embarrassing to say, but it's probably why I hated beer until brewing my own.

Both my family and in-laws are 2nd and 3rd generation military...some are from and/or spent much of their lives abroad...gives one a different perspective on alcohol. When you look into prohibition, it was one of the worst things to happen to this country.

Quick Reply