Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you tip a bartender when filling a growler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #121
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I always throw a buck or two in if I am getting a growler filled at the bar, especially if the bar is busy (extra buck if the bartender doesn't avoid me because they see the growler in hand at the busy bar). I figure that if I were buying the beers I would be paying more per beer and tipping a little more, so I can definitely afford a buck or two on a 9 -14 dollar growler.

That being said, the brewery I live next to has a growler exchange type set up. You bring in your empty growler, and they give you a fresh one from the fridge (I was skeptical of freshness at first, but after dozens of growlers I have only had 1 bad one). I never know what to do in this situation. The bartender is just grabbing something out of a fridge and setting it down. What would you guys do? Tip? No tip?

I've been leaving a buck if the bar is busy, sometimes nothing if the bar is dead. Having been in food service industry for several years I feel sorta scummy if I don't leave something, but then again at the restaurant I worked at we sold pre-packaged items and I never felt short changed if someone didn't tip when all they got was that.

What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #122
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For a growler fill I would typically tip something like $2-3. I try to tip at least a buck a beer, and a growler is more work. Sure, you could make the case that a carryout sale is basically the same as going to a liquor store, and the guy at the liquor store doesn't get tips. The difference is that there's no chance you're taking up time that the liquor store guy could be serving someone who WOULD tip.

My thinking on tipping in general is that I'm in a situation that requires a tip 2-3 times a week. So even if I throw the bartender/server a couple extra bucks, that's maybe $250/year. I was just going to blow that money on booze anyway.

I often wonder about the customers I have who don't tip. Have they never had a job working for tips, or has it just been so long that they've forgotten? Most of them do tend to be middle-aged and above.

squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #123
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63belair View Post
I never know what to do in this situation. The bartender is just grabbing something out of a fridge and setting it down. What would you guys do? Tip? No tip?
I don't think there's an universal answer, but at the brewpub where I work the brewer and/or bartender has to fill those before the bar opens. So at the minimum I'd ask who does the work to fill them, and try to tip that person.

I was actually in the brewery yesterday and someone came down from the restaurant with $2 for me. "These customers said they really enjoyed the beer and they wanted to make sure you got this." I was floored.
squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #124
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63belair View Post
That being said, the brewery I live next to has a growler exchange type set up. You bring in your empty growler, and they give you a fresh one from the fridge (I was skeptical of freshness at first, but after dozens of growlers I have only had 1 bad one). I never know what to do in this situation. The bartender is just grabbing something out of a fridge and setting it down. What would you guys do? Tip? No tip?
Meh, if you're a regular customer they know and tip well when you're there, you could skip the growler exchange tip. I know I would down a pint while they were walking to the fridge and throw a buck down, now your down to $.50 per transaction.

_

Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #125
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think the growler tipping depends in part on how the brewery is set up. I'm fortunate to have a lot of craft beer access close at hand. Some of these places have a "growler fill" line. You go stand in the line and whoever is behind the bar will get to you, typically when any pending drinks have been served. You need to have patience if that's what you're there for. Personally if I'm just walking in and getting a growler to go in a place I frequent, I don't add a tip on the growler, I just pay cash and go. A lot of times the person filling the growlers is the owner and/or one of the brewers.

This being said, walking in and grabbing a growler is not my typical practice. Usually I will sit at the bar, have a pint or two, then get my growler filled. If this is the case, I tip generously on the cost of the beers but do not include the cost of the growler to bump up the tipping rate. If it's happy hour and the beers are discounted I bump the tip. If the bar has an AHA discount, particularly if it is added on without me asking, I almost always give the AHA discount back to the server on top of whatever I would leave as a tip. I would have paid the higher price for the beer anyway so I pass the savings on.

Because these places are really craft beer locations and the folks behind the bar are generally all about the beer fortunately I don't see a lot of jerky folks pulling pints so I can't say that I've ever felt the need to show my frustration at the local places by withholding tips. As a general tipping practice I don't feel the need to tip if I'm not being served. Fast food is not service (nor is fast casual).

Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #126
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

The one thing I have learned with this thread is that people that don't tip ARE prick bastards.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #127
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
The one thing I have learned with this thread is that people that don't tip ARE prick bastards.
You forgot self important.

_

Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #128
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1327 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3 View Post

If I do my job and someone dies, it sucks. But it happens more often than not. If I am negligent, then not only will I not be paid, but I'll probably be sued and or prosecuted. I have to carry malpractice insurance to make 12 bucks an hour, do you have to carry any sort of liability insurance to serve me dinner?
Off-topic curiosity. How do you only make $12 an hour as an paramedic? A buddy of mine with his national EMT-P certification makes something like $70k a year.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Empty (for now)
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Pale Mild
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #129
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If you can afford $8 for a beer, you can afford $9. Those are the most ripped off servers in the entire industry.

_
:EDIT: Reference is to buying beer at a sports event, do you tip the beer cart or snack stand guy.

But are they really servers? They aren't making the $2.15 an hour like servers in other states. My buddy worked at Anaheim stadium and made $12/hr.

Granted he only worked on game and event days but he didn't depend on tips, the hourly more than made up for it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #130
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3 View Post
THIS is the problem with this entire system. What in the world would make you tip someone for giving less than perfect service.

If I do less than "good" or "as expected" at my job, I get warnings, sent home, or could lose my job--not to mention the fact that if I am not on my game I could be sued and someone could die.
(This was in reference to my statement that I always tipped.)
Excuse me, but if you don't like my way, its hardly a 'problem of the entire system' or whatever it was you were going on about.
I tip well for good service, poorly for bad service -but I ALWAYS tip -even poor service -it lets them know that I most certainly did not 'forget' -and there are plenty of ways to show your displeasure through the tip.
If you don't like this method, feel free to NOT use it. Good manners are NEVER the problem.
NEVER.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Quick Reply