The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you tip a bartender when filling a growler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #101
edb23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hahaha my kitchen hit 125 yesterday, no exaggeration. and we had an all day rush kind of day on top of it.

it is the drink of men who think
and feel no fear nor fetter
who do not drink to senseless sink
but drink to think the better

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #102
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

did any one die? i can see an over worked, over heated cook shanking the **** out of a impatient waiter or mouthy bus boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #103
edb23
Recipes 

somebody threw a hotel pan at a waiter. Tip your wait staff damnit!

edit: to add to this whole thing, i just wanna say i've noticed that some people have been talking about tipping cooks. it would be nice, but cooks do what they do mostly because they love what they do. if you don't love the atmosphere as a cook, you're going to quit. lots of waiters don't love what they do, and are not the type of insane person like myself who thrive off the fast pace and verbal abuse

Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #104
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
+1

so what if you were doing your best to save somebody and they died anyway, then the family was pissed so you didn't get paid and still had to pay taxes on what you should have gotten paid and you had to give money to the other people you work with? you'd be pissed to. don't get me wrong, i'm sure what you do is more important than bringing people food. but as a server you get bitched at, at least once a day, sometimes more. that's from cooks, for doing a special order for somebody, and from customers when anything is wrong. i don't work in a restaurant anymore, but i loved doing it. 99% of the customers loved having me as a server, but that doesn't mean that 1% should steal from me because they didn't like what they ordered. if i ever screwed something up, i apologized and fixed it. the times i didn't get tipped it was because cheap, unhappy assholes didn't feel like me doing them a service warranted anything from them. if you can't afford to tip, or if you can do a better job at serving your own food. then stay at home and service your self.... cocksuckers
There are two scenarios:
1) I DID MY JOB AND still failed.
2) I DIDN'T do my job, and caused someone to die.

If I do my job and someone dies, it sucks. But it happens more often than not. If I am negligent, then not only will I not be paid, but I'll probably be sued and or prosecuted. I have to carry malpractice insurance to make 12 bucks an hour, do you have to carry any sort of liability insurance to serve me dinner?

If you read what I said, I pretty clearly said that if a server does there job, apologizes for mistakes(theirs or not, the customer doesn't care about excuses), doesn't make excuses(again, no one cares why it took me 22 minutes to drive through traffic 15 miles to their emergency, so no one cares why the food was late. Just say, I'm sorry, that is all people want to hear) That and provide good SERVICE(you're a server, after all) then I'll tip.

But if you can't do YOUR job, maybe YOU should stay home. If a server provides crappy service(it has nothing to do with the quality of the food or my personal taste) then they get a tip. Sure, if I like what I got I'll prob tip BETTER, but I'll gladly tip 15-25% for GOOD SERVICE.

I WILL NOT tip someone to provide me service worse than what I get at McDonalds.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #105
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
I realize it is easy to get sympathy points from those who don't know how the tip credit system works, but no one gets less than federal minimum wage to serve.
Minimum wage for tipped employees varies from state to state. In NY its $2.13/hr

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #106
rycov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb23 View Post
somebody threw a hotel pan at a waiter. Tip your wait staff damnit!

edit: to add to this whole thing, i just wanna say i've noticed that some people have been talking about tipping cooks. it would be nice, but cooks do what they do mostly because they love what they do. if you don't love the atmosphere as a cook, you're going to quit. lots of waiters don't love what they do, and are not the type of insane person like myself who thrive off the fast pace and verbal abuse
i would kick someones ass if they threw a pan at me. i loved my job, but would have lost it for that.

also i'm one of those people who loves the fast pace and yelling.
Quote:

Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #107
edb23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3 View Post

But if you can't do YOUR job, maybe YOU should stay home. If a server provides crappy service(it has nothing to do with the quality of the food or my personal taste) then they get a tip. Sure, if I like what I got I'll prob tip BETTER, but I'll gladly tip 15-25% for GOOD SERVICE.

I WILL NOT tip someone to provide me service worse than what I get at McDonalds.
this. people should get tipped, i definitely disagree with you on the side that bad service in an establishment where tips are expected deserves absolutely no tip, since the way i look at it when you go into a restaurant you pay your bill to pay the cooks and the business for providing service and tip because you essentially "rented" a server for a while. however, there's no excuse for someone (no matter what their job is) not doing their job to the best of their ability.

and yeah there was a lot of yelling and cursing and a visit from the manager about the pan, but the guilty guy apologized to the waiter and cooked him something nice out of the walk in after service was over so no hard feelings at the end of the night

Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #108
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout View Post
Minimum wage for tipped employees varies from state to state. In NY its $2.13/hr

I think what they were implying is that even if you are a crappy server, they should make that much with tips(because according to this logic, we tip people for not doing their jobs, now).

I get the logic of the argument, but I have seen servers that I expect don't make the federal minimum wage....

Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #109
rycov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout View Post

its something like that in SC too. its also seasonal. summer time i make bank. winter time i starve. so i have to get fat in the summer to make it through the winter. and people think its ok not to tip. i miss waiting, but i'm glad i don't have to deal with any assholes.
Quote:

Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #110
rycov
Recipes 

most servers deserve their money. i will say that i have known a few ****ty ones. but honestly how many times do you go out to eat and get ****ty service? if its often at all, then maybe its you being a dick.

Quote:

Quick Reply