Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you tip a bartender when filling a growler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #91
rycov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

sorry. the first part of my rant was directed at jd3, but the last half wasn't. i'm not calling you a cocksucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #92
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow - fun thread.

First of all, I waited tables for 8 years - high school and college. Now I have a "big boy" job. They both suck.

Anyway, yes, you should tip for a growler fill. Why? Because that is how the restaurant is set up. It may seem stupid to the customer that you need to throw an additional $2 at someone to fill an eight dollar growler when the only way you can get that growler is by asking them to fill it. However, it is equally stupid that the bar tenders are only paid $4/hour by the restaurant under the guise that they will be tipped for everything they do. Their total income assumes being tipped, so it really is a responsibility of the patrons to make that happen. You got your growler, so the bartender did their part. Now it is up to you to do your part and throw him a couple bucks. Sure, quality of service comes into play, but it should really be a deciding factor between a 15% or 25% tip, not a factor between tip or no tip. I have to agree with what has been said - no one who has ever worked a day in the restaurant industry would ever consider stiffing their waiter/bartender/bell boy/maid/valet - whatever - for a service.

Don't blame the person filling the growler, blame the person who is underpaying his staff. Everyone else is just falling in line, and to take a stance of "why would I tip for something so simple?" really bucks the system.

On the other hand, travel the world a bit, and visit places where people in the service industry are paid a reasonable salary by their employer, and the tips are literally just a bonus. Guess what - the service (on the whole) pales in comparison to what we in America would actually consider "bad service". So is "assumed tipping" really a bad thing?

That said, when I get table service at a brew pub, I always settle the dining bill, and on my way out, swing by the bar for my growler. Watch someone fill that thing, and you will see what a PITA it is. I always get the impression that the bartender really appreciates me doing it this way, because the tip goes right into their bucket, rather than just getting a back end % from the servers sales. Sure, they already poured pints that were delivered to my table and settled as part of the dining bill, but again, that few seconds of work will go back to them when the wait staff has to "tip-out" for the night. In the case of a growler, it is several minutes of work, and I really think should be tipped directly.

So again, at least a $2 tip on a growler, and at least $1 for every drink across the bar. A little off topic, but I found tipping every time you get served a drink will get you better service throughout the night because it eliminates the mystery of you snubbing the bar after running a big tab. You won't get ignored if you run a tab, but you certainly won't get serviced before the guy who tips each time he got handed a drink.

Joe

Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #93
Gfei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I definitely feel the need to tip anytime someone is providing a service for me. It seems a lot of people don't tip for some things anymore. I feel wrong not doing it.

And +1 for the Old Toad. I miss Rochester, which is funny because all I wanted to do as I got closer to finishing school was leave.

Chris
Damn Yankee Brewing

|Bar Build|

Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #94
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post
Wow - fun thread.

First of all, I waited tables for 8 years - high school and college. Now I have a "big boy" job. They both suck.

Anyway, yes, you should tip for a growler fill. Why? Because that is how the restaurant is set up. It may seem stupid to the customer that you need to throw an additional $2 at someone to fill an eight dollar growler when the only way you can get that growler is by asking them to fill it. However, it is equally stupid that the bar tenders are only paid $4/hour by the restaurant under the guise that they will be tipped for everything they do. Their total income assumes being tipped, so it really is a responsibility of the patrons to make that happen. You got your growler, so the bartender did their part. Now it is up to you to do your part and throw him a couple bucks. Sure, quality of service comes into play, but it should really be a deciding factor between a 15% or 25% tip, not a factor between tip or no tip. I have to agree with what has been said - no one who has ever worked a day in the restaurant industry would ever consider stiffing their waiter/bartender/bell boy/maid/valet - whatever - for a service.

Don't blame the person filling the growler, blame the person who is underpaying his staff. Everyone else is just falling in line, and to take a stance of "why would I tip for something so simple?" really bucks the system.

On the other hand, travel the world a bit, and visit places where people in the service industry are paid a reasonable salary by their employer, and the tips are literally just a bonus. Guess what - the service (on the whole) pales in comparison to what we in America would actually consider "bad service". So is "assumed tipping" really a bad thing?

That said, when I get table service at a brew pub, I always settle the dining bill, and on my way out, swing by the bar for my growler. Watch someone fill that thing, and you will see what a PITA it is. I always get the impression that the bartender really appreciates me doing it this way, because the tip goes right into their bucket, rather than just getting a back end % from the servers sales. Sure, they already poured pints that were delivered to my table and settled as part of the dining bill, but again, that few seconds of work will go back to them when the wait staff has to "tip-out" for the night. In the case of a growler, it is several minutes of work, and I really think should be tipped directly.

So again, at least a $2 tip on a growler, and at least $1 for every drink across the bar. A little off topic, but I found tipping every time you get served a drink will get you better service throughout the night because it eliminates the mystery of you snubbing the bar after running a big tab. You won't get ignored if you run a tab, but you certainly won't get serviced before the guy who tips each time he got handed a drink.

Joe
I realize it is easy to get sympathy points from those who don't know how the tip credit system works, but no one gets less than federal minimum wage to serve. A good server in the simplest of restaurants makes at least $10/hour in tips alone. Add that to the minimum the employer is required to pay and thats a pretty good wage for a non skilled job. Serve in Washington and you make about $25/hr and still stand in the window bitching about the table that stiffed you in front of the guys in the back who make a whole lot less to work many times harder than you. Even having been one, I have Zero sympathy for servers.
Tipping is not mandatory anywhere, it has become expected by the server regardless of their performance. This is why it is such a heated issue.
A server should get 15% which is $1.50 on a $10 bill, but a bartender should get $1 for every $5 drink he pours? NIMBY.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #95
rycov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
I realize it is easy to get sympathy points from those who don't know how the tip credit system works, but no one gets less than federal minimum wage to serve. A good server in the simplest of restaurants makes at least $10/hour in tips alone.
not true
Quote:

Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #96
edb23
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Serve in Washington and you make about $25/hr and still stand in the window bitching about the table that stiffed you in front of the guys in the back who make a whole lot less to work many times harder than you.
This is the one thing. I tip because i am aware how hard the servers work and that its a big part of what they make, but i tip more because i feel for the bussers. However, when i'm working i am one hundred percent of the time working at least twice as hard as every server in that place and making less money to do it, especially if it's a busy shift. Anytime a server comes into the back (even the ones i'm friends with) complaining about their tips, i politely remind them that i find this infuriating, and i'm the dude with the knives

it is the drink of men who think
and feel no fear nor fetter
who do not drink to senseless sink
but drink to think the better

Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #97
rycov
Recipes 

i've cooked and bussed before too. i'll have to say that while they are both hard jobs, they are not harder than serving (or easier). they are different. have you waited or bussed?

Quote:

Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #98
edb23
Recipes 

yeah waited and bussed all through highschool, started cooking three years ago. The thing that makes me say cooking is harder then bussing or waiting is that when you wait you get a few minutes here and their to collect your thoughts and figure out what you need to do, which tables you need to check on and so forth. as a cook, once you're busy you're busy. stop and take a minute to re check your tickets and something burns or your tickets get behind. waiting is football, cooking is rugby

Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #99
edb23
Recipes 

like to add that's not to take anything away from waiters. i've been saying the whole time they work incredibly hard, but going from a waiter to a cook pretty quickly (i was waiting one week and a week later was cooking) i've always thought cooking especially in a high volume place is much harder

Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #100
rycov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb23 View Post
waiting is football, cooking is rugby
Touche.
not to mention how hot it gets in kitchens. i definately don't **** with the cooks. busy and hot? that's a recipe for disaster.
Quote:

Quick Reply