Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you support your LHBS?

View Poll Results: Do you patronize your LHBS?
Yes 422 80.23%
No 66 12.55%
Can't: there isn't one, but if there was I would probably buy from it 36 6.84%
Can't and wouldn't 2 0.38%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
skibb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Do you support your LHBS?

Do you shop at your local homebrew shop over shopping for your supplies online? Why or why not?

For the most part we all know that buying brewing supplies online can be a bit cheaper then buying them at your LHBS, especially now that many of the major established sites have flat rate shipping. So, what keeps you from saving a few extra bucks and going the online route, or do you do it sometimes when it's more convenient for you to do so?

I'm curious because where I live (Lexington, KY), there are no homebrew shops within an hour + drive. The greater Lexington area has a population exceeding a million people, so I figure a homebrew shop might do quite well here. There is a local brew club that has quite a few members (I believe its somewhere around 80 off and on) and i personally know at least 10 people who are not in the club but who dabble or do a lot of homebrewing. I've been tossing around the idea of starting one up, though I'm just curious what you all do in your areas when it comes to shopping for your homebrew supplies.

Also, if anyone has started up a shop that posts here, some bits of info about roughly how much start up money it cost (just for the stock to get started) and your experiences starting one up, would greatly be appreciated!

Last edited by skibb; 10-05-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I have several LHBS in the metro detroit area, including one in walkign distance from my loft, plus a liquor store about 2 miles away that has an aisle of supplies, that is good for a last minute run for bottle caps at midnight, and a wine on premises place that has some brewing supplies and liquid yeasts. Then there is a "suprestore" homebrew shop (cap n cork) about 40 minutes from my, that is actually convenient to stop at coming home from work. And there's several other LHBS in the greater detroit area that I have maybe visited but never bought from.

So I never have needed to mailorder anything.

I really throw most of my money to either Cap n Cork or the Lhbs in Walking distnce (I've become good friends with the owner of that one. It's really tiny, but I try to support him as much as I can.)

It's really all about inventory, customer service and knowledge/experience that makes a store for me...the two I frequent are places where you find yourself hanging out for an hour talking and maybe even sampling beer.

There's a couple people on here who have opened brick and mortar homebrew shops in the last 2-3 years who post regularly.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've probably spent over $500 at my LHBS this year. I've never ordered ingredients online, only equipment. You just can't beat the convenience of hopping over to the store to buy some last-minute specialty grains or yeast, or a replacement hydrometer. I like to be more spontaneous with my brewing, though, so the few bucks saved online isn't worth having to plan things out so far in advance.

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do, but usually for 'emergency' items or liquid yeast during bouts of extreme weather since I do most of my buying in bulk or using HBT vendors.

The owner hosts our homebrew club and gives a generous 10% discount on everything - so I like to support him when I can. His shop is an hour away from where I live, so I don't get there too often except on club meeting nights or special events.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've learned what they are good at, and what they are not.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
I've learned what they are good at, and what they are not.
yeah me too its a great place with really good prices on most stuff
but there hops are just crazy high , i just got 61$ worth of hops from puterbaugh farms the same hops from my lhbs would cost 383.20 i compared it before pulling the trigger of 7Lbs of hops

Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I've done the calculations and it's usually cheaper to get my supplies from my LHBS than online. However, that is on a per recipe basis. If I were to buy ingredients in bulk (e.g. pale malt, hops, etc) it would most likely be cheaper online. Unfortunately, I am not to the point of buying ingredients in bulk yet.

Also, I like to support the local, Mom and Pop type businesses in my town in general. My LHBS has always been helpful and courteous to me when I shop there, which is rare these days. It also makes sense to support them so they stay in business so when I need an "emergency" supply or ingredient, they are there for me.

However, I will definitely be getting my hops from Hopsdirect.com; $3.50/oz at my LHBS is just ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
bluegrassbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also live in Lexington KY. And I support the closest thing we have to a LHBS. We have a chain of liquor stores that have a large selection of home brew supplies at two of their three locations in town. They stock just about any grain (including 55lb bags of base grains), most hop varieties in whole and pellet form, all the common dry yeasts, and most Wyeast yeast strains. They are wonderful to work with and will special order anything I want that they do not normally stock. I try to buy locally because I want them to stay in business both for the convenience they provide, and for the jobs they provide in my community.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I haven't brewed yet at home, but at school I used to go to a place all the time until they stopped offering home brew stuff. I guess they didn't have the right permits... Woops. Recently I have been getting stuff online, but once I get back to Michigan, I'll probably by local again.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm not driving 45 minutes each way to overpay.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
yeastbound Likes This 

Quick Reply