Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you prefer brewing existing recipes or building your own?

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer to brew?
Exclusively my own recipes. 34 22.67%
A mix of my own recipes and other's recipes. 96 64.00%
Exclusively recipes from others (mix of clones and non-clones). 19 12.67%
Exclusively other's recipes (no clones). 1 0.67%
Exclusively clone recipes. 0 0%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Do you prefer brewing existing recipes or building your own?

I'm curious what the division out there is amongst brewers between whether you like to brew existing recipes or crafting your own. Granted this is a fairly non-scientific poll and doesn't account for bias of brewing experience, but oh well

For reference:

• "Your recipes" refers to recipes you put tgether yourself. This can include modifying or combining recipes from various sources, but they should be primarily your own concept.*
  • "Other's recipes" refers to recipes posted by forum members, home brew club members, magazine writers, etc. Can include clones unless otherwise specified.
  • "Clones" refers to recipes made to imitate commercial brews.

*This means subbing out a grain or two, the hops, or the yeast used doesn't count as making your own recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
blackflagbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually go with a recipe that I've crafted myself. However, I will read a ton of other recipes and read up on that beer style so I'm going in somewhat informed.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts

50/50 here. I normally start with an existing recipe, but have to change something along the way to match my preferred taste. I don't only do this with brewing beer, but also cooking in general.

People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
ill4delph
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am still very new to brewing, so i've been sticking to clones or other peoples recipes while i get my routines down. I'm sure i will create my own recipe one day...but for now i'm just learning.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 201

As a relatively new brewer, I tended to rely upon recipes originally.

First with Extract/Steeping Kits that I purchased (5 batches).

Then I made the move to AG based heavily on the HUGE amount of information that I found on HBT. It made sense to me to use the "tried and true" recipes that I found on HBT as well. (Props to BierMuncher, Yooper and many others)

Ironically, of the 4 different AG beers that I have made [Centennial Blonde(x4); Bass Clone(x2); Irish Red(x2) and Yoopers House Ale(x2)]
I have only once actually made it through the brewday with no mistakes that "altered" the recipe.
Wrong hop additions
0.75# of choc malt (in a beer that called for 0.75 OUNCES) I named this my not so pale ale [NSPA]

So while I relied on a recipe, I often altered the recipe accidentally.
I am at a point now where I am beginning to distinguish the different characteristics that individual ingredients add to a beer (loving Honey Malt for exampe)
So I am now venturing into the realm of BlackBird House Pale Ale, which I hope to add to the recipe forum eventually as my own.

PRIMARY: Dirty Blonde
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: Regal Pale Ale
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: SNPA Clone
SECONDARY: Unknown Ale (Partigyle from RPA and SNPA)
BOTTLED / CONDITIONING: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Fuggle SMaSH
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Willamette
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflagbrew View Post
I usually go with a recipe that I've crafted myself. However, I will read a ton of other recipes and read up on that beer style so I'm going in somewhat informed.
This is pretty much what I do as well.

Maker of weird beers

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXBrauer View Post
50/50 here. I normally start with an existing recipe, but have to change something along the way to match my preferred taste. I don't only do this with brewing beer, but also cooking in general.
+100

I love to tinker with what I have on hand or being inspired by a recipe that looks really good. I always change something, or a few things.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: 2'd Clone
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I mostly make my own recipes, but will sometimes look at other recipes to get an idea of hops/malt combos when I feel like I"m in a rut of the same old thing.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
PRE66_6TART
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I started just kind of winging it with my own recipes right off the bat. Lo and behold, some of them weren't that great. I had this idea that styles were just points on a spectrum, and whatever I threw together would still be good even if it didn't land on one of those points. Turns out there's a reason all those different styles exist. Anyway I haven't given up on experimenting but I'm starting to do it with smaller batches and using other people's recipes on the bigger batches. That way I have lots of good beer, but still get to do the mad scientist thing.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

I very occasionally use someone else's recipe, but 95% of the time it's my own recipes. If I'm brewing a new style I'll base my recipe on someone else's and there's those times I find myself drinking a beer that I just have to clone. If I'm cloning a beer, though, I usually try it myself before using someone else's recipe. The other thing with clones is that if I can't get it here and can't find anyone to trade for it, I'll just use someone else's recipe from the get go.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Quick Reply