Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you make beer for you, or for others?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

I'm happy if someone enjoys my beer, and sometimes I brew specifically for people at work or friends, but I've found a few friends who have such deeply ingrained ideas of what constitutes a good beer that I could not possibly make a beer that they would like. They just couldn't believe that a person could make actual beer at home. Only a factory could produce a quality beer!

And everyone's tastes are different. Even among the craft beer fans there is a wide variety of different palates.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Vebra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I brew at this point mainly for others. I myself enjoy making beer more then anything. Don't get me wrong, I love my beer and try to make things that myself and others will enjoy. I'm starting the process of opening up a nano so I give away a lot of my home brew. Get it out there and get people wanting more. Kinda like a drug dealer, only no money exchanged. I always look for an excuse to brew, so if people want more beer, I'm happy to do it. I'm just fortunate I have a job that affords me the opportunity to buy ingredients any time I want and don't really have a brewing budget.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
And everyone's tastes are different. Even among the craft beer fans there is a wide variety of different palates.
This is exactly why craft beer exists!

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I brew for both.

I like making beers I enjoy, but at the same time creating something that someone else likes is just as fulfilling. Half of the fun in making beer is to show other people that you can make something they like.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Only problem is the raspberry tastes like soap. The same raspberry flavoring taste I absolutely HATE in Lost Coasts' Raspberry Brown. She likes it, but I don't dare say it tastes like soap, because then she won't enjoy it as much and I'd be left with a full keg of stuff I don't want to drink.
lol, I'm going to have to brew a beer similar to that soon here. My fancee had some the other night and thought it was amazing. "Cherry soda", she called it. She meant it as praise.

Now I just need to figure out a recipe that makes it taste good for her, and that I can also enjoy.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I brew because I have several friends who brew. We try to coordinate what we are brewing so we can each sample the other's beers. It's a neat arrangement as it forces all of us to make good beer for the others.
I have an IPA that is in the bottle now that should be good for a swap meet at the end of the month.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
brick_haus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brew for anyone that wants to come to my house and drink it. So far i only brew what my wife or myself enjoy. I'm pretty new to brewing and dont bottle so the kegerator in the garage is the only option . I have a regular group of friends that frequent my garage more often now...

Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Me. And Bob. He actually has a lot of input into what I brew, because he has a great palate and will make great suggestions (like, "This beer is great, but I think it would be even better with a nutty hint" or "I think this beer would be even better with a faint earthy note behind the citrus") and then I'll tweak it for next time.

We share our beer with whomever stops over and wants some, but it's always just for us unless I'm brewing for an occasion for someone (rare).

Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2688

I pretty much only brew for myself, but I make more than I can drink. With that said I share with anyone who is interested.

I have brewed one batch for someone else. He's a BMC drinking client of mine who just can't believe homemade beer can be any good, so I brewed BM's Cream of Three Crops for him. I Haven't given it to him yet, as it's still carbing up. I'm only giving him half of the batch, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

When deciding what I'm going to brew, I do what I want. Well, I occasionally take a request from the wife.

With each new batch, I usually bottle 10-15 bomber bottles to give away. Partly because I like giving my beer away and partly because I get sick of 5 gallons of the same beer. And then around the holidays ill brew a batch and give all of it away.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Quick Reply