Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you make beer for you, or for others?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Default Do you make beer for you, or for others?

I made a sort-of Sapporo knock off, just with more flavor and body. I like it a lot and I'll drink it with most any asian food. I offered to give my son some (he's 22) and he said no thanks, he didn't like it that much.

I made a honey orange Kolsch, and I tried it last week. Don't really like it. A little too bitter for me, almost no orange taste, and too much body. He loved it. He says it's a little like a ShockTop only much better. So I gave him over half the batch.

Do you brew primarily for yourself, or for people who will drink your beer?
My kid's opinion matters to me.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I make it for me. I'm no sucker. I'd make it for others if they paid for the ingredients... Or if my significant other, who I loved, enjoyed good-tasting beer and wanted something unique from time to time. But I have no inclinations of ever cloning subpar swill like Bud Light or Shock Top.

If your friends and family come along someday and enjoy the beers you typically brew, then great. If not, and they continually whine about how they don't share your particular tastes, well then they should brew their own beer. I'm not partaking in this hobby so I can impress others; I'm doing it so I can drink exactly the type of quality and flavors that I enjoy.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
half_whit
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I struggle with this one too. I mean, I pay for the ingredients. I should make what I want, right? I recently bottled at Magic Hat #9 clone because it's my ladyfriend's favorite beer. I also just recently discovered that I don't like Magic Hat #9. Womp womp.

I say brew for you, but share freely with those who are interested. I go to my friend's house every Thursday to watch Archer (since we don't have cable). I pay him with homebrew!

Planning: Heady Topper Clone,
Primary: Nutella Stout
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I brew for me..
I brew for my GF, she helps pay for the hobby and is supportive
I brew for people who come over, I want to be a hospitable host for craft and crap beer drinkers alike.

I wont make a light american lager, as they are easily and cheaply purchased, and frankly not easily made. I have apfelwein for non craft drinkers and am about to make some Skeeter Pee and see how a Kolsch goes over.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have and will continue to brew entire batches for friends and family. One of my friends loves scotch ale (I do not like it) he asked for a batch and found an award winning recipe on line and together we tweeked it to fit my system. I kept 1 six pack and gave the entire batch to him. My brother has a standing order for a Black Lager that I make for him. I keep 12 he gets the rest. A police officer friend loves Pilsner and asked for a batch ... it is fermenting now... Pilsners are to sweet and light for my tastes so he will get all except for 6 or so.

Yes I brew for others and brew what they like. I love being able to give people my beer and then have them call me when they open the first one to say "Holy jumping Josephine that's good"

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Cromwell Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I brew only for me. If someone else happens to like my beer, great. If not, that's fine to. More for me.

Long story short, Beer.

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

The thing is, I really like brewing. I don't do this just because I like beer. Actually I didn't like beer all that much when all I could get was light american pilsner. But now that I brew, I really like my own Maibocks, Dubbels, CAPs and hopburst IPA.

So I'm happy when my kids want some beer. I mean raising kids is partly about educating them, right? So if I can show them there's better stuff to be had (made) than what they can buy, I'm doing my job as a parent.

And I didn't mean to say I made an actual Sapporo clone. It's like Sapporo, like a Classic American Pilsner is like Bud Light.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brew for myself. I have made beer for a friends bachelor party and aged a RIS for his wedding in wax topped bottles for the groomsmen, but that's about the extent of it. I will take there suggestions but if im not into it, it doesnt get made. My wife barely ask me to make her beer and when she does, its a hef or wit and I enjoy those.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I brew only for me. If someone else happens to like my beer, great. If not, that's fine to. More for me.
+1. This is how I feel. I have a friend or two that sample my beer and appreciate my brews. I don't give it out to too many people. More for me.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I brew a little for the wife and my father and friends. It helps to have some support on your side.

We both like wheats for sessioning. So I brewed up a wheat, went to keg it, and she wanted to add raspberry flavoring to it. I thought peach would go better. But heh, sure honey, why not. Only problem is the raspberry tastes like soap. The same raspberry flavoring taste I absolutely HATE in Lost Coasts' Raspberry Brown. She likes it, but I don't dare say it tastes like soap, because then she won't enjoy it as much and I'd be left with a full keg of stuff I don't want to drink. Next time, if she wants the raspberry flavoring, we'll batch prime, then put just enough in for however many she wants to bottle up, or switch brands of flavoring.

I do try to brew a variety to give away as gifts. We end up drinking the rest. It ensures a nice variety is kept on hand because I want to be able to give out samplers. Go figure.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply