New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you keep ONE of every batch of homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Do you keep ONE of every batch of homebrew?

My first four batches are done and, even though 3 of them won't keep beyond 6 months, I'm thinking of keeping one of each with labels mostly for sentimental reasons. GF says i'm crazy cause she just sees it as more bottles laying around.

Does anyone here do this? Any advice on regular painter's tape with the style and date written on it?

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

I did for years, until the box of one offs from batches was larger than a case of beer, then decided just to drink them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
adamjackson
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I did for years, until the box of one offs from batches was larger than a case of beer, then decided just to drink them.
Thanks Revvy. Always nice to get your insight on things. What are your takeaways as far as randomly opening things at that point? I imagine Pales were basically undrinkable beyond a year and other weirdness in Wheats and Porters?

Just curious really because the commercial beer drinkers demand you drink IPAs soon due to hop fading and rule of thumb is big ABV = long term cellaring.

Thanks man!

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
mcwilcr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I actually keep 2. One to drink after one year and the other as long as I can hold out. But like revvy mentioned I am going to have to re-think this because it is starting to eat up too much space.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I keep bottle #13 (my favorite number) from each batch set aside. I plan on opening each at the one year mark.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I save one or two from each batch and try them around the one year mark if I can wait that long. I think the plan this year is to drink all the savers on my birthday. Gives me a set date instead of trying to remember what day/month each batch was brewed in.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I kept one from my first batch ever. Labeled with the date it was brewed and the style.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #8
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I often hang on to some (depending on style) for a year, two, three if it is a "big" beer - not to keep forever, but just to see how it is as it ages. If I had kept one beer of every batch I brewed, I would now have in the neighborhood of 300 single beers sitting in my basement. Not sure what the point would be in doing that - takes up a ton of space, most beers do not get better over time, and if you are never going to drink them.....why, keep them? Barley wines, RIS, Belgians, etc. - I think that is worth keeping a 6 or a 12 back to try after extended time to see how it ages. Keeping one of your first batch is a cool idea.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

i tried to keep some, but they cried to me at night. Like lambs. First i tried to free them. I...i opened the gate to their pen, but they wouldn't run. They just stood there confused. So, i drank them, one by one.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started to and kept two of each. I had a case full of old beer when I recognized that most of my favorite beer was best fresh. I randomly began drinking the ones I had saved. An apple cider had gotten a little better, but none of the beer was as good as I had remembered. Most of it was good enough but not as good as before. A chipotle beer I made lost all it's smokey spiciness and tasted very vegetal. Same with the Belgians, they lost their bold earthy spiciness. My hoppy beers were bitter but lacked the flavors and aromas I remembered. These were all average gravity ales. Some did taste better with a little age, but when I tried the ones I saved, they seemed to be past their prime.

Quick Reply