Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you keep a lager on tap for friends?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #51
Jay1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm passionate about brewing but I couldn't get too excite about making something I personally wouldn't enjoy. If I was to proselytize the benefits and joys of drinking truly good beer, I would start with some of the commercially available varieties. Once they see the light, they might be able to start enjoying my beers.

Don't justify the hobby based on who might like your beer. Be a true artist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #52
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester View Post
Im kind of appalled at the prejudice displayed here. I dont see any posts that talk about personal experiences wih lagering; just a bunch of naysayers parroting how difficult and arduous a process that lagering a light beer is; a bunch of critics discouraging someone from taking on a personal challenge.

Have any of you even had a homebrewed Pilsner? Even when brewed with rice syrup solids they're exceptionally tasty.
I don't think you read everyone's responses. First, the OP was not asking what you think he was asking. Second, I gave my response to his question and then proceeded to offer some personal advice on what I learned from my own attempts at making lagers. That's above and beyond, right there!

OP my personal experience is that a light blonde ale is very close and much easier to make. If you are expecting your friends to switch to bigger beers than American Light Lager, then they are going to have to try some bigger beers. If not, then they aren't interested in drinking other styles and I would not expect them to change in the future.

That said, I have found that people who are averse to light ale styles oftentimes will enjoy an IPA or stout or some other very flavorful beer, as odd as that may sound.

I do not want to discourage anyone from trying an advanced style like a light lager, but the pleasure you get from it very well may be decided based on your motivation. If it's to experience something new for yourself, then you are likely going to be satisfied at some point. If it's to start converting your friends to ales and other homebrew, be prepared for some disappointment.

Yooper has reminded me that I really wanted to learn to brew a nice Bo Pils though. Maybe I can find some time this winter to lager one of those in the garage.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #53
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1
I'm passionate about brewing but I couldn't get too excite about making something I personally wouldn't enjoy. If I was to proselytize the benefits and joys of drinking truly good beer, I would start with some of the commercially available varieties. Once they see the light, they might be able to start enjoying my beers.

Don't justify the hobby based on who might like your beer. Be a true artist.
If you don't like it it's gonna be a chore to drink it. Brew beer you like to drink. If people are gonna be uptight about drinking only BMC it doesn't matter what you make for them, I assure you, they're not gonna drink it.

There are also way to many lager styles to buy a freezer just to brew light lager. I would love to buy a freezer to lager but I genuinely like lagers.

Just buy a 30 pack of natty lite or Milwaukee's beast and call it good.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #54
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 395

I usually try to keep a lighter beer style on tap for my non-craft beer friends. I started out with a cream ale, then moved onto a kolsch, but lately I've been making lagers. I've got a Bohemian Pilsner and an Octoberfest on tap, and this is what I give to my non-craft beer drinking friends. It's familiar and doesn't intimidate them. My wife enjoys them and a nice lager is good to have in the rotation.

I enjoy brewing lagers because they are more difficult and less forgiving than ales, and present more of a challenge for me as a brewer. Paying attention to things such as fermentation temperatures and pitching rates are critical when making lagers and seem to be what most ale brewing homebrewers ignore. If you can make a good lager, then you can pretty much make any style of beer successfully.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #55
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My BMC drinking friends have enjoyed my blonde, amber, and English bitter quite a bit. I've never had someone get freaked out by the word "homebrew" and I wouldn't go out of my way to try to change their mind if they did. They can bring their own beers if they won't even try what I'm offering. I brew beers I want to drink and I will always let someone try one of my beers if they want to. If it's not their thing I'll offer a different style.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #56
B2Barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's cool you got a freezer.
Now it's time to go out and get some new friends.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #57
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post

I enjoy brewing lagers because they are more difficult and less forgiving than ales, and present more of a challenge for me as a brewer. Paying attention to things such as fermentation temperatures and pitching rates are critical when making lagers and seem to be what most ale brewing homebrewers ignore. If you can make a good lager, then you can pretty much make any style of beer successfully.
Well said...

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #58
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I didn't read everyone's posts, but I'll have to say that I would never brew something I didn't want to drink just to have it on tap for someone else. Between the brew day and packaging, you're looking at a good 5 1/2 to 6 hours of work. Not to mention taking up fridge space for at least 6 weeks. No way I'm doing that for a friend and not getting anything out of it. Now a friend with benefits, on the other hand . . .

That said, the man got himself a lagering fridge and wants to make some lagers. Why tell him to stick to ales? I'd say try your hand at a nice Pilsener. If that's not close enough to BMC for your buddies, they're hopeless anyway.

Quick Reply