Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you keep a lager on tap for friends?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #31
azmark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

for a cheap experiment. Buy a case of Coors,(or the BMC of their choice) fill up a pitcher with the beers. Serve telling them it is their favorite beer. After they finish the first one or two, tell them it's a home brew, and ask what they thought it tasted like. Whatever their answer ask them if they want another, if they want another, feel free to try to start educating them. If not they are most likely a lost cause.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #32
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Every lager is a challenge, heck, every beer is a challenge. I know that the old "light lagers are actually the hardest style to brew well!" line gets a lot of work around here, and there might be some truth to it since every mistake sticks out like a second nose in the face, but brewing a bock or a czech pilsner is also going to need a lot of skill, preparation, patience and talent, while being drinkable afterward.

Most people's choice in beer is inherently irrational, like it is when it comes to cars or computers or motorcycles. There's a lot of brand loyalty associated with light lagers, like there is with most consumer products: they grew up with it, so they like it. My grandfather only bought Fords and most of them were crappy, shoddy, break down after 3 years pieces of junk, but to him, they were "his cars" and he wouldn't miss an opportunity to piss on "fancy imports". BMC drinkers are the same with their brand. It's their beer.

I have an old neighbour who is an harcore piss water drinker. He was talking to me about my brewing while I was having a beer (a cream ale), so I offered him one. He said it was horrible. The next time I was mowing the lawn, I offered him another of my "homebrews" in a glass, which was actually a Labatt Bleue, his favourite beer. He nearly vomited on my shoes. The old bat has no tastebuds and I'd wager your friends are pretty much the same. They like the brand. Everything else is crap, no matter where it comes from.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #33
bufitfn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
To demonstrate to them that homebrew beers can be every bit as good as commercial beers. Basically, just to get them over that first hump of considering that maybe - just maybe - homebrew beer isn't the scary, Frankenstein mess people seem to think it is.

I'm absolutely baffled that people seem to have this irrational, instinctive aversion to homebrew beer. I say, "Hey, can I get you a beer?" They say, "Sure, what kind do you have?" "I've got a nice medium-bodied pale ale and a stout." They ask, "OK, but what kind is it? Stella? Heineken?" "No, they're homebrews." Then they back away. "Oh, OK then, don't worry about it, I'm fine with water."

Everybody knows they can make a better burger than McDonald's. Everybody knows they can make a better coffee than Dunkin Donuts. But for some reason, people seem to think that brewing beer is the exclusive domain of the large commercial breweries, and anything you make yourself will be a disgusting concoction bearing absolutely no resemblance to "beer." I just figured having a nice, light lager to offer them might help dispell that prejudice and introduce them into the fascinating, complex world of craft brewing. Sort of a "gateway homebrew."
Very well said....

Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #34
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

my BMC friends all love my cream ale - if you brew it well most couldn't tell you it's an ale vs lager

they also loved my vienna lager which is more flavorful but still a nice enjoyable crisp beer that can be enjoyed by anyone, especially me

if you want to brew a light american lager go for it, but keep in mind they probably won't appreciate the extra time and skill that goes into it and would likely be just as happy with a cream ale or easy drinking blonde ale

Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #35
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5334 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 1242

I don't have a lager on tap very often- usually twice a year because that's about the timeline when I enjoy them most.

I normally have a maibock or a Bohemian pilsner on tap in the spring (and the maibock is so good!) and then an Oktoberfest in the fall. Occasionally, I'll do a dopplebock or a bigger lager.

I rarely make a light American lager. Why not? Well, I don't really care for them, and those that do will still prefer their BMC brand anyway. But....other lagers like Classic American pilsner, maibock, BoPils, maibock, Oktoberfest, etc, are all beers that I like to drink so I make them and have them on tap occasionally.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #36
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I keep at least one lager on tap for most of the year, but for me, not my friends. Although I stick to German style lagers. Once I dialed in my lager process, I couldn't stop making them.

1. Bock 2. Bock 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 27 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Blonde, Irish Stout, IPA

Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #37
Lumpy16
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a buddy who is positive that molson Canadian is the best beer in the world. In a blind test I am certain he wouldn't be able to tell which one was the Canadian. It's all about the bottle it comes in.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #38
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
...I have an old neighbour who is an harcore piss water drinker. He was talking to me about my brewing while I was having a beer (a cream ale), so I offered him one. He said it was horrible. The next time I was mowing the lawn, I offered him another of my "homebrews" in a glass, which was actually a Labatt Bleue, his favourite beer. He nearly vomited on my shoes. The old bat has no tastebuds and I'd wager your friends are pretty much the same. They like the brand. Everything else is crap, no matter where it comes from...
This illustrates exactly why it is worthless to try an brew a BMC clone for you BMC freinds.
Even if you manage to get it to taste exactly like Bud, Miller or Coors all your freinds will "taste" is homebrew. It is pointless to do for them, for you the point would only be the same as can I match XYZ beers.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 193 Posts

I wouldn't brew something I wouldn't want to drink just to try to convince other people homebrew is ok. **** 'em. If brewing for a party with non-craft drinkers I'd make something more simple to give them an opportunity to enjoy my beer but it would be something I would still enjoy drinking on my own after they leave.

My only advice to OP is to try making a lager you want to drink a lot of until you get your lager process down perfectly. That way if it has some flaws you can still drink it. Nobody wants to drink diacetyl bud lite clone.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #40
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 106 Posts

I brew mostly lagers.. I really only offer my beer to people that I think would appreciate it. It's a labor of love, but it's still effort. I don't make enough to waste it. I love the beer I brew.
If others don't, Oh well..More for me.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Quick Reply