Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you keep a lager on tap for friends?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989

If i have to demonstrate to them that my beer can be just as "good" as budlight, I'll just write them off as a lost cause. I'll focus my homebrew toward impressing my friends who actually enjoy beer.

Although i would like to brew something similar to yuengling, i went to school in PA, so that's the drink of choice among a lot of my friends. I think i can at least give that enough character for me to be proud of.
Matt, try this. It's an ale, but I did a Noble Pils Clone from them and it was really close and pretty good.
http://www.myoldkentuckyhomebrew.com.../Yuengling.doc

Back on subject. I don't think it would financially be worth brewing a BMC clone, they can all be bought for under a dollar/bottle. Extract usually costs me 60-80 cents a bottle. Not including my time.
Like others said, brew a nice simple blonde or something else light they may like. But I wouldn't try to clone BMC.
But then again, it's you beer, do what ya want!!
I wanna say there is a clone kit for bud online someplace. Northern Brewer perhaps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You may find that a good light American lager is harder to brew than you think.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Wunderduck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat
I say, "Hey, can I get you a beer?" They say, "Sure, what kind do you have?" "I've got a nice medium-bodied pale ale and a stout." They ask, "OK, but what kind is it? Stella? Heineken?" "No, they're homebrews." Then they back away.
If your friends are afraid of the word "homebrew", it won't matter what style you have for them to try, they will still be wary of the "homebrew". Try giving your beers a commercial sounding name and find a comparable commercial beer they might know.

"I have Ich Bin Ein Berliner Weiss and Bathtub Bock on tap, they're kind of like ____ and _____."

If they like what you give them you can let them know you made it yourself. If they don't like it they will be more likely to try another of your brews in the future because they don't have the homebrew stigma associate with them.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was keeping a blonde on tap for "those" people but I've come to the conclusion they are not worth it. #*@* em Plus they don't event like the blonde's...

They get delicious food when they come here and they can drink the "beer" they like.

Its more than I can say when I visit their houses.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
To demonstrate to them that homebrew beers can be every bit as goodbad as commercial beers.
Fixed.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
I understand and agree with the concept but why a lager? Why not a simple blond, a light honey ale or a straight up plain wheat? They are all a quick turn around and plain yet tasty enough to enjoy. My wife and her friends drink 55's or ultras but when I have a blond tapped that is their go to beer.
Exactly. A blonde ale would be easier and much tastier. I brewed one for a party and my friend who normally just drinks BL said she would gladly drink it over Bud. Mission successful.

This sounds harsh, but over the years I learned not to cast pearls before swine. I just mean don't offer your beer to people who don't even want it. At a certain point excessive generosity is actually harmful; certain people will not show any appreciation it and in turn you will end up feeling slighted. Better not to offer it in the first place.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2249 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I got an extra fridge for lagering. My intent was to take on the challenge of brewing lagers and have a nice clean lager to enjoy and to share with people. After two batches I'm done. I'm not interested in drinking that style and have ample opp. to buy it cheaply (compared to the craft beer I normally choose).

My advice is to brew up a light ale like a blonde, kolsch, cal common, etc. If you want to brew something for your friends, then there are a few tips for brewing lager:

Pitch plenty of healthy lager yeast.
Pitch at recommended temp and allow fermentation to continue until reaching expected gravity. (around 50 degrees)
Reduce temp to lagering temp and hold for 4-6 weeks or longer. (mid to low 30s)

Most people will use European malts and of course noble hops are appropriate and your friends may be expecting them.
Long mash and long boil.
Decoction if you are really excited to brew it authentically.

After all of that work, hope your friends can appreciate the beer.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'm not interested in drinking that style and have ample opp. to buy it cheaply (compared to the craft beer I normally choose).
My sentiments exactly. Keep some BMC in the fridge for the naysayers and brew what you like.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I set up a fridge and temp controller, I'd love to try my hand at light, crisp lager. If I can brew a good Carlsberg clone, I'd feel pretty confident.

Recent brews: Amber ale w/ honey malt, Dunkelweizen, Oktoberfest, Alt, Kölsch, English Brown, Rye IPA, Amarillo IPA. 55 gallons so far in 2013.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post
When I set up a fridge and temp controller, I'd love to try my hand at light, crisp lager. If I can brew a good Carlsberg clone, I'd feel pretty confident.
Yea, Carlsberg is pretty tasty. Can't fault you there.

Quick Reply