Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you keep a lager on tap for friends?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 747 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default Do you keep a lager on tap for friends?

Yesterday, I finally snagged a freezer to use for making lagers, with the intention of having a beer on tap to be able to offer my friends who prefer light, American-style lagers. But as I prepare to make my first lager, the more I read about it, the more it seems there's a bit of "class snobbery" surrounding brewing such beers.

I'm curious - do you guys keep a batch of "plain, boring" light lager on tap to offer your friends who don't like the richer character of a homebrew ale?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
arnoldk2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Uh... no. I have 3 taps and I have a cali common beer on tap at all times cause my wife loves that beer. The other two taps are reserved for what I feel like brewing. I have friends that love bud lite so when they come over they bring a 12 pack for themselves. The only time a light lager is in my keg is if I decide that is what I want... but that is very very rare and usually that will be my lawnmower beer.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Why would you brew a plain boring light lager? If you want that kind of beer for your friends just buy it, it would be cheaper and easier.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 747 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirk View Post
Why would you brew a plain boring light lager?
To demonstrate to them that homebrew beers can be every bit as good as commercial beers. Basically, just to get them over that first hump of considering that maybe - just maybe - homebrew beer isn't the scary, Frankenstein mess people seem to think it is.

I'm absolutely baffled that people seem to have this irrational, instinctive aversion to homebrew beer. I say, "Hey, can I get you a beer?" They say, "Sure, what kind do you have?" "I've got a nice medium-bodied pale ale and a stout." They ask, "OK, but what kind is it? Stella? Heineken?" "No, they're homebrews." Then they back away. "Oh, OK then, don't worry about it, I'm fine with water."

Everybody knows they can make a better burger than McDonald's. Everybody knows they can make a better coffee than Dunkin Donuts. But for some reason, people seem to think that brewing beer is the exclusive domain of the large commercial breweries, and anything you make yourself will be a disgusting concoction bearing absolutely no resemblance to "beer." I just figured having a nice, light lager to offer them might help dispell that prejudice and introduce them into the fascinating, complex world of craft brewing. Sort of a "gateway homebrew."

Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 66 Posts

I understand and agree with the concept but why a lager? Why not a simple blond, a light honey ale or a straight up plain wheat? They are all a quick turn around and plain yet tasty enough to enjoy. My wife and her friends drink 55's or ultras but when I have a blond tapped that is their go to beer.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat

To demonstrate to them that homebrew beers can be every bit as good as commercial beers. Basically, just to get them over that first hump of considering that maybe - just maybe - homebrew beer isn't the scary, Frankenstein mess people seem to think it is.
If i have to demonstrate to them that my beer can be just as "good" as budlight, I'll just write them off as a lost cause. I'll focus my homebrew toward impressing my friends who actually enjoy beer.

Although i would like to brew something similar to yuengling, i went to school in PA, so that's the drink of choice among a lot of my friends. I think i can at least give that enough character for me to be proud of.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
cuttsjp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't go as far as American lager...unless you really enjoy that and want something along those lines on your tap system [no judgment here!]. I definitely like to have a variety of beers on taps, so as to please as many friends as possible, as well as have a beer for my every mood. I definitely think it's important to have something accessible on tap like an ordinary bitter, wheat beer, American amber, mild/brown, low grav/low bitterness APA, or something along those lines, but you never need to sacrifice your standards to get a beer on tap that will appeal even to your macro drinking friends. Especially consider the "gateway" varieties like cream ale, kölsch, American wheat, blonde ale, etc.

$0.02

On tap: Limerick Session Stout, Junior/Senior Amarillo RyePA, Ralph Partigyle Bitter, Saison de Potiron
On Deck: Yazoo Gerst Clone, Experimental Belgian Mild, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH bitter, Belgian IPA, Coffee Cream Stout
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I brew for myself. My friends always try my beer and drink what they like. I usually keep a kolsch, IPA and porter on tap. I personally prefer a lager or pilsner as my go to beer.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

why not a light lager? make a tasty one, that will offer a homebrew gateway to skeptics, and will impress any brewers who will be aware (undoubtedly) how hard they are to get right
but no, i don't do it because i only have 2 taps and rarely drink light lagers. if i had 5 taps then probably. maybe. don't know.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
mr_randy_watson
Recipes 

I would argue that the mass market brewers are extremely skilled at making that light lager style. Unless you like the challenge, I would agree that it would save money and time to just buy. Why not make a wheat, kolsch, or blond that opens them up to a new style?

Quick Reply