Do you guys set a limit on your drinks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Just curious.

I've been trying to have a beer a day except on the weekends. I usually keep to it, but every once in while I might throw down 2 or 3. I'd say I pretty much drink at least 6.9 days a week =P
Do you guys limit your intake in any way at all? Always curious to know.

I drink pretty much every day, but I hardly get drunk. I suppose when I start feeling a little buzzed, I'll stop, but 2-3 beers a day isn't really out of the question.

I'm in the same boat. When I'm having beer it's like 2-4 a night. I try not to drink every night and might go a few days in between without having a beer. Once I start thinking about craft beer though, it's just to easy to pull out a great homebrew and dive in.

I must drink a lot more than you folks....4-6 beers or so then go to gin and tonics ....although I prefer a good homebrew or craft beer but a good gin and tonic brings me to the level of satisfaction I like.
This is on weekends of course. Weekdays it typically 2 craft/homebrews and a couple G&Ts

I average 1 per day through the week. On weekends I have more but usually no more than three spread over a whole day.

Nope. All in moderation. From scientific studies (I know, I know) it has been suggested that a brew or two a day is actually good for your long term health! You know, antioxidants and other stuff I know nothing about. So. keep it to one or two a day and you'll live longer!
I read that on the internet, so I know it true! ;)

New study says some positive results from coffee and beer. ( moderation)

Just like food.

To keep down the number of brews you can try larger bottles and brew higher ABV. A single 7% 750ml does me nicely for an evening.

Otherwise brew up some low alcohol beers.

I don't set limits, but I notice during the week my body tends to feel like stopping after two beers.

That is if I have a couple with dinner about 6ish, I kinda hit a wall after two (unless I'm at a beer tasting or a brewpub after work or something geared towards drinking.) Usually it's when my sweet tooth kicks in, and I want something dessert like, at that point I'm done with beer for the night.

During the weekend I'll probably start earlier, and drink throughout the day. Yesterday the Baseball game started at 4, and I started brewing a small batch of Midas Touch while the game was on, so I think I drank 4 or 5 between 4 and 9 pm.... Only about one an hour or so....

I have one beer with dinner. 9 times out of 10 its a high grav brew, 7% or higher. Not that I want to get the best bang for the buck in terms of alcohol, but most of the higher ABV brews have more flavor.

I tend to drink more where there's a keg or two in the keezer... however, it's usually limited to Saturday nights.. sometimes both Saturday and Sunday..

With my job, I don't drink within 24 hours of a shift. It behooves me to not have a single trace of alcohol in my system "just in case"..

On the other hand, I have been known to get home Saturday morning after a shift and drink myself unconscious by noon... lol

I drink beer every day. I don't drink hard liquor except maybe a very occasional Scotch, and I often drink a very small glass of wine with dinner.

I keg, and rarely drink bottled beer, so I don't know how many exactly it would be in "bottles", but probably about +/- 3 every day. That's probably a lot for my size but I'm in perfect health so I'm not concerned about it.

I don't set limits, but I notice during the week my body tends to feel like stopping after two beers.
I agree with this. Not sure if it's my body or head that feels like stopping, but same effect.

Also, about the same pattern as Revvy. Start a beer before dinner that usually gets me part way through the meal. Possibly another during dinner along with another after the meal while relaxing. That one might be a snifter of a bigger beer.

So, 2-3 a day, but I don't limit myself to it. It just happens.

Depends on whats going on. I tend to only drink outside or in the garage. The winters up here are pretty cold so i dont typically drink much. Unless i'm having a fire outside or playing in the garage. Summer on the other hand is a whole other story. I spend most evenings after work outdoors which means i always have a beer close by.

I'm a lightweight, only one for me. what I tell myself is that since I'm buzzed after one, I can't possibly enjoy another as much because I'm numb enough not to experience it fully. now, my wife on the other hand can knock'em down like nobody's business. I've got two carboys full just trying to keep up. she never gets buzzed....part Indian or something else genetically superior, I have no idea. It's a great problem to have, she's one in a million.

2 beers will do it for me most of the time. However I was out we some friends yesterday and we were drinking a local commercial bock, after about 4 low abv beers I got a big headache and really didnt even have a buzz. I believe I will chose quality over quantity.

When I brewed beer I enjoy drinking I can drink 3-4 a day. My wife will ask me sometimes how many beers I've had, and I ask her how many chips she's had.
If I brewed a beer I don't enjoy I try to at least drink 2 a day, just to figure out what I did wrong and learn from it, and to help empty the bottles for the next batch. If I were kegging already and brewing consistently good beer every time, it would be a different story.

Normally only two pints, and generally only Fri/Sat/Sun, though occasionally 3-4 on a nice Saturday in the yard. Don't often drink anything during the week. You guys are lushes, LOL!

Wow you guys make me look bad. I usually do not drink on work nights. However the 2-3 days I have off is fair game. I usually have 4-5 "52oz bubba kegs" a night (they are not all the way full due to head space). Of course this is with lower abv brews. I remember when I first started brewing I did a double IPA and do not remember what happened the first night out of the keg. So that keg ended up lasting a lot longer than normal.

I have a glass of beer, cider or wine most days but not everyday. I occasionally or seldom have more than two glasses. On the doctor's form, I mark ' seven drinks per week' because that is probably the average.

That's probably a good idea even if it's actually more.

Yeah... that's not the norm... and was complete bullsh*t on the MD's part.

If you're ever in the back of an ambulance, be honest with the medic. We don't care if you have a substance abuse problem or not (perceived or otherwise)... we need to know what you've got onboard so we can make better medical decisions regarding your emergency care.

</rant>

One or two on work nights. I tend to drink slowly so moderation tends to just happen. On weekends, I may drink three to five beers. I start earlier but, again, I drink pretty slowly.

Bender said:
That's probably a good idea even if it's actually more.

That is fu&(ed up. I don't want to steer this off topic, but the thought of that is disturbing, especially since I've been at a point where I was drinking that much in the past and I also never let it prevent me from working, nor did I ever get a DUI. As it is now, I haven't had a beer in about a week. Usually, the weekends are fair game to have as many as I want, which usually ends up being 4-6. I sometimes will have a couple on a weeknight, but only once throughout the week.

It's good to know that all you guys are all high functioning alcoholics just like me lol. =)

I definitely know my limits now, especially because I usually don't drink anything under like 6.5%.
3 is good on that level for getting a healthy buzz, if I go for 4 though, that's where I start feeling like a giant bag of ass the next day.

I will say this; I noticed I was starting to gain some weight from drinking and was about 15 lbs heavier than when I got married. Now I exercise every day, not to lose weight, but just to insure I can keep drinking my beer and remain at the same weight lol. Maintenance exercise =P

I usually don't have more than 1 per night during the week, maybe 2-3 on Sat & Sun, more if we're hitting a brewery. Studies have found that 1-2 alcoholic drinks a day has positive health benefits, so I'll go ahead and stick by that.

I don't set limits other than what my body tells me. Most days a six pack is average, (16 oz) other days two beers is too many. I noticed after 30 i dont rebound as fast as i use to. Depends on what is going on, work, training for a race, etc.. i also typically drink alot of water during the day.

Now after a marathon. it's on until I'm down! I start with a good stout and proceed to drink amber ale or a similar lager until I forget what I was doing.

Last night we got into the mead and watched Lincoln so as of right now, ummmm... Water please.

I don't intentionally limit.

I notice that I get far less done after more than a beer in an hour (motivation to grind decreases), so I tend to only drink after 7pm on "weekends" because I'm trying to accomplish as much as I can in the brewery. On "weekdays", I tend to only have 1-2 beers because otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night looking for water and my eyes feel dry in the morning... not things I want to contend with while getting ready for work.

I say "weekdays" and "weekends" because I work 12-hour panamas, so my schedule doesn't conform to M-F 9-5.

I don't set a limit to my intake, I will drink until I have what I feel is enough which depends on the situation.

Hanging out with friends or a bbq I will have enough to get a light buzz.
At home I tend to have one now and again with a meal or a long day.

I don't drink every day by any means, in fact I sometimes go a week or two without any drinks at all because I just don't want it, other times I will have one a day and sometimes more. My body and mental state tell me how much and when rather than an arbitrary number.

I usually don't have more than 1 per night during the week, maybe 2-3 on Sat & Sun, more if we're hitting a brewery. Studies have found that 1-2 alcoholic drinks a day has positive health benefits, so I'll go ahead and stick by that.

I've said it on here repeatedly, when I started cardiac rehab, the doctor's recommendation was 2 drinks/per night.

I heard that in Germany the doctors say 6-8 a night is perfectly fine health wise. I couldn't imagine my tolerance with that kind of beer intake!

I try not to drink too much during the week, maybe the odd beer at home. However I quite often end up going out for a few beers with people after work so I often have a few more one or two nights a week. Hate doing that though because 3+ pints definitely hits me the next day...

The weekends are a completely different matter though...

Back