Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you ever want to...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I just still have never figured out why is it that "dumping beer" especially without even knowing if anything is wrong, so prevalent in the mindset of new brewers? It seems to be the knee jerk reaction to every little thing, perceived or otherwise that could go wrong. Is it because we live in such a disposable society, so that things don't really matter, even if they involve time, effort and money to put together? Or is it that new brewers think what they're making is one step away from toxic and therefore a mistake so they think they need to get rid of it?

Maybe it's cause I'm older or something, I just can't see just willy nilly think I need to just scrap something I've put the slightest bit of effort into.

Like my Keezer build for example, I've already got close to a grand into it, and I made a mistake on one of the collar boards, in where I cut a hole, for the power outlet on the back. Rather than scrapping the board, I broke out the woodglue and the piece I cut out, mending plates to hold the piece together while the glue dried and some wood putty. And it looks and feels like there was never a hole cut out. I didn't have to go out and by another 2x8 just to cut one piece of wood out. If it were the front I might have replaced it. But I figured since it's the back side if this worked then I was ahead of the game.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

homebrewdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Mishraile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I tell them. "yes, you need to dump it, but let me do it. I have a beer dumping recycler at home, and can take care of that for you." /innocent whistle

"My own beard boasts my brewing ability better than my brewing ability can stand up to."

Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
SledgeH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

How else would newer members of HBT get our post count up (to make it look like we know what we are doing) if we don't respond to all of these!?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeH View Post
How else would newer members of HBT get our post count up (to make it look like we know what we are doing) if we don't respond to all of these!?
Epic.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just still have never figured out why is it that "dumping beer" especially without even knowing if anything is wrong, so prevalent in the mindset of new brewers? It seems to be the knee jerk reaction to every little thing, perceived or otherwise that could go wrong. Is it because we live in such a disposable society, so that things don't really matter, even if they involve time, effort and money to put together? Or is it that new brewers think what they're making is one step away from toxic and therefore a mistake so they think they need to get rid of it?

Maybe it's cause I'm older or something, I just can't see just willy nilly think I need to just scrap something I've put the slightest bit of effort into.

Like my Keezer build for example, I've already got close to a grand into it, and I made a mistake on one of the collar boards, in where I cut a hole, for the power outlet on the back. Rather than scrapping the board, I broke out the woodglue and the piece I cut out, mending plates to hold the piece together while the glue dried and some wood putty. And it looks and feels like there was never a hole cut out. I didn't have to go out and by another 2x8 just to cut one piece of wood out. If it were the front I might have replaced it. But I figured since it's the back side if this worked then I was ahead of the game.
I'm with you, here. Why on earth would you dump it?

The other one that kills me is the recent rash of "I think messed something up. I know that I'm a total noob, but I'm now doing the following nonsensical things to my beer in the fermenter. Will this fix my original imagined problem?" type posts. GLLAAARRRBLBLBLBBBAAARGH!!!!

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
Revvy Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishraile View Post
I tell them. "yes, you need to dump it, but let me do it. I have a beer dumping recycler at home, and can take care of that for you." /innocent whistle
I'm using that one next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
chip82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I really wish I could have been the first reply to this thread. I would have replies with "Yeah. Ruined."

Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I guess I'm an exaggerationist (new word?). When my kids get a tiny cut I'm always like, "Let's go to the hospital. You know, they MIGHT have to cut it off at this point." Of course, they know I'm joking...I wouldn't ever make them cry or upset. I DO love the hell out of them...but I also like to mess with people. So when I see the posts I just want to respond with a short answer to just the title, without reading the post.

But I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
Sixmilecross
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could devise a mandatory quiz at the end of registration that forces people to read the FAQ section before allowing them to post a new thread. Maybe throw in a "This is how you execute a search" demo just to be safe

"...who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
homebrewdad Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I guess I'm an exaggerationist (new word?). When my kids get a tiny cut I'm always like, "Let's go to the hospital. You know, they MIGHT have to cut it off at this point."
Yeah, okay, I do this to my significantly younger cousins... which really freaks them out, because, well, I'm a doctor and they think I'm serious.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads