New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you ever get tired of big beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Default Do you ever get tired of big beers?

Most homebrewers tend to make more big beers (1.050+ OG) than session beers. The reason is obvious, if you are going to go through the trouble of homebrewing it makes sense to make the beers that cost the most to buy in the store.

I love my homebrews but lately I've been kinda wishing for a lighter, less alcoholic "session" brew. Perhaps it's the warmer weather? I do tend to drink more beer when it's hot because I'm thirsty and drinking a lot of 7.1%abv IPA is really not fun for me. I enjoy a nice buzz once and awhile but I hate being drunk and dread the hangover that always follows a night of over-drinking.

I'm excited for my next brew which is a 1.042 OG cream ale that should be around 4.4% abv.

Anyone else in the same boat? Feel like putting "big beer" on the shelf and drinking thin, yellow, low ABV homebrew once in awhile?

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I wouldn't call it drinking "beer-water," but I do find myself brewing more session beers lately. The mild I have in primary right now is just as flavorful, if not more so than many of the bigger beers I have in bottles right now.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I love session beers and brew more of those than anything. I am getting ready to brew a Table Saison and a Helles..both right around 4.5%. Big beers have their place but for me they are more "special occasion" beers.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I wouldn't call it drinking "beer-water," but I do find myself brewing more session beers lately. The mild I have in primary right now is just as flavorful, if not more so than many of the bigger beers I have in bottles right now.
A "mild" is one of those session beers I haven't looked into yet. Going to see how I do on cream ale first. If you have a good working recipe and don't mind sharing I'd love to see it.

Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Having the 4 beers currently in the kegs at 19%-8%-8%-9%, I'm very happy to say the 2 in fermenting right now will be below 5%. With this beautiful weather I just want to sit on my deck and drink beer all day Saturdays, and it's rough having a good buzz by noon because my lightest beer is an 8% IPA

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I definitely enjoy stronger beers, but I usually rotate what I'm brewing seasonally. Heavier beers in the Fall and Winter. Lighter beers for the Spring and Summer.

Thinking maybe a Fat Tire clone or another batch of EdWort's Hause PA for my next brew.

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgpete View Post
Having the 4 beers currently in the kegs at 19%-8%-8%-9%, I'm very happy to say the 2 in fermenting right now will be below 5%. With this beautiful weather I just want to sit on my deck and drink beer all day Saturdays, and it's rough having a good buzz by noon because my lightest beer is an 8% IPA
What exactly did you brew that came out at 19%? Closer to liquor than beer!

Secondary:

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I tire of both big beers and big hops. I prefer a 1.041-1.050 brown, Irish, or cream ale. I like the others, but I just can't drink them on a pretty much daily basis.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-120-minute-clone-259314/

It's just in the keg to carb up. I should be replacing it with something MUCH lighter in the next few days. The "samples" I keep pulling to check the carb level are starting to get more and more pint-size

Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 405

I am looking forward to an Irish-style dry stout that has been in the ferm for a good while. It should be nice and mellow when I get around to kegging it here in the next week. I also have malt for a Pils or Helles (depending on how I hop it) and a traditional ESB waiting in the wings. I am kind of regretting the Doppel Helles Bock that is next to be kegged, it seemed like a good idea at the time and I'm looking forward to it... just not 5 gallons worth.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply