Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you enjoy brewing more than drinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 669 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default Do you enjoy brewing more than drinking?

This question occurred to me the other day, and I thought I'd toss it out here for discussion.

Like I'm sure many of you do too, I spend a lot of time thinking about brewing beer. I just got into all-grain brewing last fall, and I have 15 batches under my belt. I have a long list of beers I want to make, and I even have a detailed spreadsheet to track fermenter, carboy, keg, and fridge space for each batch to ensure I have enough space.

The problem I'm having (if you can call it that) is that I'm excited to brew all these different styles of beer, but I'm not going through it fast enough to free up the kegs. I have 5 Corny kegs, and in 2 more weeks, they'll all be full (3 are already full and currently carbonating, 2 more batches are just finishing up clearing and will be kegged in the next 2 weeks).

Don't get me wrong, I love beer. But I also don't want to get hammered every night. I exercise a lot and it's important to me to stay in shape, so I don't want to drink excessively. Consequently, it's going to take me a while to get through that 25 gallons of beer. I'll be doing my best to share it with guests, but even still, the weather is going to start getting better soon, and I know I'm going to be itching to weigh out and mill some grains.

I'm not asking for a solution (that's easy: buy more kegs, give more beer away, drink more beer), I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this too. As much as I enjoy drinking beer, I also get excited about making it, and feel sad when I know the weekend is going to be perfect brewing weather, but there's no room in my pipeline. Anyone else experience this too?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I brew way more than I drink . . . . don't get me wrong, I have 1-3 pints 6 days a week or so. But, I don't keep up with what I brew..... Even the drinking part - I look forward to tasting my beer I guess. Not that I drink to relax or to get drunk or anything like that.... I just love the taste of beer and I am constantly looking forward to tasting my beer to see how it turned out, how it is progressing, etc.

I give a lot of beer away, I look forward to having people over for sampling, I started entering comps. which uses up some of it..... All so I can get back and brew more

I have 8 kegs of various fullness right now, 4 batches fermenting, and another 3-4 batches bottled....... And, I am thinking about what I need to get brewed in the next week or two to fill my 4-5 empty kegs and empty bottles - you are not alone

I know you were not looking for a "solution" - but, more buckets, more kegs/bottles, more drinkers to share with - you hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have the same problem. I would love to brew weekly but I cant possibly go thru the beer that fast. At my rate of consumption I can only really justify brewing monthly. I need more friends to give beer to. Ive even considered buying a keg set up for my buddy just so I can brew beer for his house too.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 03-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had the same problem, I love to brew, but only went through 5 gallons every month and half or two. I found some guys and 4-5 of us get together every week or so, fill some growelrs, sit and have some beer and generally hang out. When it comes time to purchase ingredients, they pitch in and help out with the bill, it's a great set up! (and legal, I believe!) The best part is, the beer fund is self-sustaining thanks to their help with ingredients, so SWMBO doesn't care how much I brew, WIN WIN!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drink about 6-8 beers a week. Not always my own. I give away 90% of my brew for parties and such.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
zolakk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I also brew MUCH faster than I drink. I think the last keg I kicked took about 6 months to kill but when the weather warms up and bbq season kicks in the beer gets flowing by going to and throwing parties - showing up with a keg tends to make you real popular lol. I love brewing, and love tasting my beer but don't really enjoy getting drunk - thankfully I also love sharing

Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I love the process of brewing, my problem is I have so much else going on to occupy my free time that I have a hard time brewing as often as I'd like.

I also have a problem with brewing 11 gallon batches most of the time when I could be doing 5.5 gallon batches. I just have a hard time justifying spending 4 hours making 5.5 gallons when I could spend 4 1/2 hours and make 11 gallons! So I have way more beer than I could ever drink myself. Fortunately the wife loves my beer and so do about every friend we have.

I honestly enjoy watching someone else consume and LOVE my beer than I do when I drink it myself!

That said my wife and I drink plenty homebrews. I average about 2 per day (mostly session ales in the 4-5% abv range). She probably averages 1 every other day so between the 2 of us about 75 beers per month...that's about 7 gallons.

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

No.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts

I enjoy the process of making beer but if I couldn't drink any of it then I'd stop brewing.

So I guess the answer is no.

I know you weren't looking for solutions to your "problem" but what about brewing smaller batches? I don't keg. Will beer carbonate properly in a keg that is half empty?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Brewing "too much" is one of the reasons I prefer bottling to kegging. I can drink most of a batch and leave just a few bottles to age for a year. I have 45 gallons of beer currently in bottles and going to brew another 11 gallons tomorrow!

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply