Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you care about the calories in your craft beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
febbrewro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Do you care about the calories in your craft beer?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062900910.html

Haven't read the book, but based on what they said about the Bigfoot barley wine (mentioned in the article), I'd say the authors have no idea what they're talking about. No one is going to sit down and drink a full sixpack of Bigfoots in one sitting.

Best part of the article: Counters Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.'s founder and president, "It's a stupid way of judging anything: like saying, 'Don't eat a pound of butter.' "

Do any of you drink a specific style or brand based on calories? I don't personally - taste dictates beer selection, and moderation is the key.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Strave19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats a good question! I was thinking about this last night actually... while noticing a little flab around the midsection, haha

I dont choose beer or discount a beer because it is high in calories. However, I could not help but notice that my Olde Ale I'm planning to brew will have an estimated 510calories per 12oz... Its a bit of a hard thing to balance. Exercise is key with a hobby like this, and I'd feel a lot less guilty about having a beer or two every evening if it didnt equate to an extra 500 or so calories. I'll never not drink a beer because of its caloric content, but moderation is definitely key. As much as I'd want to have an Old Stock every evening, 500+ empty calories after dinner is just not healthy every day...

Yes, craft beer has calories, all beer has calories... just find a balance between health and beer and you're fine!

Well...If beer could be exactly the same but be zero calorie.... i would drink more of it, so I guess I cant say that calories mean nothing to me in regards to beer consumption

Edit: to actually answer your question, no... I definitely dont choose beer based on calories!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I suppose I kind of do care about calories. I tend to treat beer as dessert and cut down on the amount of ice cream, cake, etc. I eat accordingly. I don't actually tally calories, nor do I drink to get drunk.

EDIT: Just noticed this:

"The authors recommend substituting Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale (155 calories) for Bigfoot. But Fireside is available primarily in November and December, while Bigfoot doesn't hit stores until late January or early February, so the two aren't likely to overlap"

Seasonality aside, they're entirely different beers. I might decide how much of a beer I'll drink after deciding what I want. But the above substitution strikes me as silly.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I, too, have gained weight since starting this homebrewing hobby. Not only am I enjoying my homebrewed creations, but I'm also buying more beer because I want to sample brews I haven't had before. That said, most of my personal weight gain is most likely from the food I enjoy with my beer, not just the beer itself. And I work a job that involves sitting a desk 8 hours a day. Being a foodie, a beer nut, and having a sit-down job is not exactly the best combo for the waistline.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wonder if there are any lines in the Affordable Health Care Act that are gonna mandate ALL breweries to post calorie content on their beers?

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Not really. I can't drink as nearly much of the higher calorie beers anyway so it sorta balances out.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Beer has calories?!?!? Dammit!!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This article is silly. Although, frankly, I wouldn't mind calories being printed on the label. Mostly because I like know things like that. It does not affect my decision process, but I like know random things about what I consume.

For the record, I am fat, but not getting fatter!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
steinsato

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Is it Gordon Biersch beer bottles that say "Never trust a skinny Brewer"?

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have said it many, many times before (just maybe not here). I would rather drink/eat what I want, die fat and happy, even at the cost of x years of my life, than to live to 120 having drank a foul tasting chalky "health drink", eating what is good for me vs. what I want and die skinny, cold and miserable...

I find that people that "count calories" other than diabetics (or for other medical reasons) are generally unhappy. They are not only unhappy with themselves but are generally miserable to be around.

Bottom line(s) are:

No one gets out of life alive.
+
You can not take it with you.

So, "no" I do not count calories in anything let alone my beer...

Quick Reply