Do u taste ur brew during conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebrewin

Reaction score
Does anyone taste their brew a during conditioning!
With my last brew I bottled 6 x 375ml stubbies to taste along the way to track it's progress. Weird???

lovebrewin said:
Does anyone taste their brew a during conditioning!
With my last brew I bottled 6 x 375ml stubbies to taste along the way to track it's progress. Weird???

I taste mine weekly. Kinda cool to see how it progresses. And of course I get a sample while I bottle

I did sample my EIPA yesterday, after only five days conditioning, and it was definitely... in need of more conditioning time. Promising, but still young and under-carbonated.

I taste mine weekly. Kinda cool to see how it progresses. And of course I get a sample while I bottle

Same here with my first batch. Had a taste when checking OG, again at bottling, a full 12 oz. at week 1 and will continue at each 1 week interval until week 3. Then it'll probably become a daily sampling.

NEVER.

Cuts way down on the "is my beer fu(k'd?" threads.

also, what does it matter what it tastes like at 1 week? Only the finished beer matters.

The few I tasted, I was tempted to dump, and they all turned out fantastic. Why stress?

also, what does it matter what it tastes like at 1 week? Only the finished beer matters.

By the end of the first week you will know what the finished beer will be like. It's like that pH check 8 hrs after pitching. If that looks good you know you'll have a good fermentation. After a couple of days you can tell by taste whether the product will be a well balanced beer or not.

I think it's a waste of beer to opening one early, even if it's got some carb it will more than likely be green. Me I prefer having all my beers drinkable, rather than sneaking them early.

I can never understand the point of sneaking beer's early when we KNOW they're not ready yet. I like to drink beer that tastes good to me, that's why for instance I don't choose to drink Bud Light. Not that it's a bad beer, but I don't like the taste. So I don't choose to drink it....same for my beers when I'm sure they're not ready yet. I'd rather drink something else and know that at the end of the journey I'll have 2 FULL cases of good beer.

Beer, like anything else, has a life cycle and it is fascinating to track that over the period of up to 2 years that a beer, properly cared for can be enjoyed (or even longer in the case of barley wines etc.). In the ferementor it starts out tasting worty but, as I said above, you'll know early on whether you have succeeded or not. Then during conditioning it stays green, stays green, stays green and then, overnight, the jungbuket is gone and you have a beautiful beer. It continues to evolve getting ever smoother and mellower over a period of, say, 6 months and then begins to lose a bit of its hops punch. Six months more and oxidation starts to creep in and diacetyl may emerge. Sometimes the beer between 3 months and 9 months is dramatically different from the beer between 9 and 18 though both may be very good (though typically, of course, one will be preferred). And it depends on the beer. Wheat beer you'd better drink up in 3 months.

I set and forget method. I set the fermenter away in the closet and forget it for a couple of weeks. I bottle the beer and then forget them for a month or so. I am so good at the set and forget method I just found a case of beer I did know I had. Must of been one of the first batches I did but who knows. I drank one last night and it was good. Not great but good :ban:

By the end of the first week you will know what the finished beer will be like. It's like that pH check 8 hrs after pitching. If that looks good you know you'll have a good fermentation. After a couple of days you can tell by taste whether the product will be a well balanced beer or not.

I call BS.

I had beers at 1 week taste of ass that ended up fantastic.

I think it's a waste of beer to opening one early, even if it's got some carb it will more than likely be green. Me I prefer having all my beers drinkable, rather than sneaking them early.

I can never understand the point of sneaking beer's early when we KNOW they're not ready yet. I like to drink beer that tastes good to me, that's why for instance I don't choose to drink Bud Light. Not that it's a bad beer, but I don't like the taste. So I don't choose to drink it....same for my beers when I'm sure they're not ready yet. I'd rather drink something else and know that at the end of the journey I'll have 2 FULL cases of good beer.

THIS^

Beer, like anything else, has a life cycle and it is fascinating to track that over the period of up to 2 years that a beer, properly cared for can be enjoyed (or even longer in the case of barley wines etc.). In the ferementor it starts out tasting worty but, as I said above, you'll know early on whether you have succeeded or not. Then during conditioning it stays green, stays green, stays green and then, overnight, the jungbuket is gone and you have a beautiful beer. It continues to evolve getting ever smoother and mellower over a period of, say, 6 months and then begins to lose a bit of its hops punch. Six months more and oxidation starts to creep in and diacetyl may emerge. Sometimes the beer between 3 months and 9 months is dramatically different from the beer between 9 and 18 though both may be very good (though typically, of course, one will be preferred). And it depends on the beer. Wheat beer you'd better drink up in 3 months.

I am fine with this. I just don't like being told that I should.

People who make wine at home sometimes bottle 375mL or beer bottles of wine for taste testing.

For my first 10 or so batches I would drink 1 12oz bottle each week after bottling, mostly just to learn to recognize the difference between a beer that is just "green" and one that might have deeper problems. They consistantly improvide in flavor very quickly between the 2 and 3 week marks, so now I just wait until week 3 before sampling anything, as I would prefer to have those 2 bottles be optimally flavored since I can now recognize "green" beers right away. I had a robust porter recently that took a hair over 4 weeks to really get into the sweet-spot, it was nice knowing that even though it tasted wonky after 3 full weeks, I recognized that it was a normal way for beer to taste when it is conditioning, so I didn't sweat it at all.

I am generally a pretty patient person though, I don't really have any sort of antsyness or urges to open them early, beyond my desire to understand how the flavors progress. After those 10 or so batches I was getting really consistant results so I had satisfied that curiousity, and now enjoy a couple more finished beers per batch.

derbycitybrewer said:

Always sample as I bottle! I was told as a noob to taste your beer at every stage. I have also tasted during initial weeks of conditioning but I only do one bottle usually.

Well, I get that I should wait, but I've got my first partial mash non-kit beer in bottles now and plan on tasting 1 per week to follow how it changes. Once my noobness wears off, I'll leave it alone :)

I taste my beer throughout the entire process, but I reserve judgement until it's definitely done.

I can tell you it's improved my palate, and helped give me a better idea of how a beer changes over time.

I taste my wort prior to fermentation, I taste the gravity samples, and because I keg, I taste it as it carbs and condtions. We're only talking 1 pint (tops), so I don't consider it a waste.

By the end of the first week you will know what the finished beer will be like. After a couple of days you can tell by taste whether the product will be a well balanced beer or not.

Agreed. Yes there are instances where it drastically changes over time, but for the vast majority of beers you get a pretty good sense after a week or so.

I call BS.

What's your sample size?

Everyone has their own opinions on this matter, and developing a philosophy that works for you is best.

I taste throughout the entire process and starting at 1 week in the bottle. With proper yeast preparation, fermentation control and sanitation practices, I have found that most beers I brew under 6% alcohol can be fully carbed in the bottle by 2 weeks. So why taste? The bottom line is every fermentation is different. Even the big guys, and this goes all the way up to the mega brewers (BMC), will tell you that fermentation happens at it's own pace. You have many variables to control, but the bottom line is the beer is ready when the tasting panel, the head brewer or you decide it is. For different styles, especially english styles, I find that if I let the yeast work too much past the carbonation stage, they take the "character" out of the beer. In some styles, you want this, especially an american pale or ipa. In others, the "fermentation byproducts" are actually desirable, think ESB or Belgian, and allowing the yeast to clean them up leaves you with something other than what you intended. I was at the Firestone Walker brewery this past weekend and on the tour the guide told us that fermentation takes between 7 to 14 days for most of their standard beers. When asked how they decide when it's done? The taste. And they keep a couple of full time biochemists on staff to manage the yeast and ensure that each fermentation is getting yeast with the proper cell count, viability and health.

So why taste so frequently? Because I want to know. I want to know what my wort tastes like, and how that translates into my final beer. I want to know what a boiled and hopped wort tastes like and how that translates into my final beer. For beers that I reproduce, I want to make sure that I'm getting that flavor that I remember early in the process. It's just my nature. Why taste after only one week in the bottle when I know it's not going to be ready? I want to see what level of carbonation has developed. If I pop that bottle and it seems really high, I might go over my notes and pop another. Did I prime too much and am I at risk for bottle bombs? Were the bottles primed unevenly? Is there an infection that may cause bottle bombs. This helps me improve as a brewer and keep things safe around the house. Am I popping the 9% Wee Heavy after a week? Probably not. After a month, yes, yes I do. Is it fully carbed? No, but I'm doing it for the knowledge. AJ covered why you would want to taste over a long conditioning phase, and I agree with all his points.

When I started brewing, the advice on this forum was to wait 4 weeks at least in the primary, and to ignore all instructions on any kit you have. Then bottle and leave it for another 4 weeks. This was sound advice for a beginner. I avoided making bottle bombs and I didn't get an infection from a poorly sanitized secondary and I didn't' have the yeast die and make my beer smell like Vienna sausage. It is true that via this method you will make beer, but for me, this only made drinkable beer. It wasn't until I dug into the science and started to really take measurements with my equipment, really control my process, really pay attention to what I was doing with the yeast, and trust my own taste buds that I started making the beer that tasted the way I wanted. I think this is why I love brewing so much, it is the truly the exemplification of where art and science intersect.

I try very hard to wait a minimum of 3 weeks but if I'm out of homebrew, it's impossible not to try a couple at the 2 week mark.

I try very hard to wait a minimum of 3 weeks but if I'm out of homebrew, it's impossible not to try a couple at the 2 week mark.

And do you notice much of a difference between 2 weeks and 3 weeks?

I can totally understand why many seasoned brewers will wait a full 3-4 weeks until they know the beer is fully conditioned. However, for newer brewers, I would highly recommend tasting at least 1 bottle each week. It will help them to learn the early flavors of undercarbed beer, and green beer. It will help improve their ability to discern these flavors over true infected flavors or true off flavors when a beer *should* be completely conditioned, but each person will have their own style, just like anything else.

Find what works for you and do it; don't worry about what anyone else does or doesn't do. If it works for you, then be happy and enjoy your process.

great advice above, cincyfan

tasting developing beer may not be a great beer drinking pleasure in itself, but it is a great beer making educational experience

I can totally understand why many seasoned brewers will wait a full 3-4 weeks until they know the beer is fully conditioned. However, for newer brewers, I would highly recommend tasting at least 1 bottle each week. It will help them to learn the early flavors of undercarbed beer, and green beer. It will help improve their ability to discern these flavors over true infected flavors or true off flavors when a beer *should* be completely conditioned, but each person will have their own style, just like anything else.

Find what works for you and do it; don't worry about what anyone else does or doesn't do. If it works for you, then be happy and enjoy your process.

And this teaches you how? I'm a "seasoned brewer" to me "Understanding how carbonation develops" is really un important, it's gonna be flat, it's gonna be slightly carbed, or it's going to be carbed. There's nothing to learn about. Who really cares about the other stages, it's only when it's finished does it matter.

It's the same with green beer. What's the point of wanting to know how it develops or changes. How's it going to help us make better beer? It's AFTER the beer has passed the window of greeness where we find out if our recipe/brewing/fermentation process is sound or not. Green beer is an evolution, in the process to maturation. It doesn't tell us anything. Only after a beer is drinkable do we find out if we did a good job. And THOSE off flavors are what we learn from. Not what the beer taste like on the journey.

I just never had gleaned anything substantive from that. Despite the rationalization that many new brewer say is for 'educational purposes' I find there's very little point to tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....that to me just means there 2 less beers that are actually tasting good and are ready at the end. I don't buy budweiser because I don't like to taste "bad" beer. So why would I drink my own beer when it was "bad" especially since I know it's going to be delicious a few weeks later.

It's a great rationalization, and I hear it every time I make my assertion. But the thing to remember is that since every beer is different that 5 day old Ipa you may have decided to crack open is not going to taste anything like that 5 day old brown ale you opened early in your next batch. They're two different animals. There are so many tiny variations in things like ambient temp at fermentation and carbonation, pitch count phases of the moon, that even if you brewed your same batch again and cracked a bottle at the exact same early time on the previous batch, the beer, if you could remember how it tasted, more than likely wouldn't taste the same at that phase....Heck even in the same batch if you had grabbed a different bottle it may seem carbed or tasting differently at that point.

A tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time. Each one is it's own little microcosm, and although generally the should come up at the same time, it's not an automatic switch, and they all pop on. They are all going to come to tempo when their time is right...not a minute before, and then at some point they all will be done.

So you're not, to me learning anything special from it. But It's your beer, but there's not gonna be anything right or wrong at that point, except that you're out a beer that 2-3 weeks later you're gonna post something like"Sigh, they always say that last beer of the batch is the best, now if only I hadn't "sampled for educational purposes" all those weeks back I could be having another on of these delicious beers."

But it's your beer. There's not one right way to do things, or one right philosophy brewing, it's whatever works for you. *shrug*

Just new brewers, if you do open one at 2 weeks, or 1 week, or 1 day, and it's not carbed or tastes funny, don't start a thread to ask for re-assurance that your beer will "be okay." Because that's why we point out that it takes usually a minimum of three weeks for most beers to do their thing. And just because, you don't heed that, it doesn't mean your situation is any different than the thousands of brewers who start those thread. And don't expect us to rub your belly and tell you it's going to be alright because in your gut, you KNOW the truth; We don't tell new brewers to wait just to yank their chains and tell them to wait because we're being mean...it's because we know how long it tends to take, and we want you to enjoy your beer.....every last bottle of it. ;)

I like to sample it, taste it grow and develop. I get Revvys point. It's not particularity educational but for me it's fun. I think of it like flying across the country for vacation. The destination may be why I'm in the plane but I still like to look out the window and enjoy the journey. And I really don't care if I have a few less bottles at the. It's not like beer is hard to get and I need to hoard it.

I did on my first brew simply because I didn't want to wait. the finish between the first one and one that had carbed and matured properly was amazing and one of the reasons that from now on I'll do three in primary and three in bottle before trying one.

its also helped me learn patients with the wine we're brewing and why it will sit until Easter (a full month after bottling)

No, because I like to have some left. I mostly do one-gallon batches (small house, more variety, blah blah blah), so I have to conserve every last bit of sticky brown goodness until the very end, when I pop open the flip top, and pour an over-carbonated pint into my filthy Sam Adams glass, and embrace either sweet, sweet victory, or bitter, bitter defeat. Either way, I have to drink the whole thing - point of pride, y'know.

And this teaches you how?

The same things chewing on my grain and rubbing my hops do. The same things tasting my sauces and food while its cooking does.

As someone that kegs, I can pull short pulls off the keg, and I'm not forced to drink 12oz at a time. Nonetheless, I find value in the practice

Since I keg, it's actually pretty easy to take a little taste whenever I want. I've gotten to a point and a deep enough pipeline that I taste during transfer. If it tastes ok at that point, I'm pretty content to just let it sit, carb up and condition until a spot opens up.

The same things chewing on my grain and rubbing my hops do. The same things tasting my sauces and food while its cooking does.

HOLY HELL!!!

If your pasta sauce tastes off, you add something. If your brew tastes off, IT'S SUPPOSED TO! Too many threads about noobs "adding things" in mid ferment because the poor bastards "tasted" it.

Fermenting beer and mid cooked pasta sauce are NOT the same thing.

I did a couple of my batches because I was curious what it would taste like. I still do once in awhile if I feel like it. It's nice that you don't though.

I call BS.

I call BS on THAT!

If your beer tastes like ass at one week, I can't imagine it would be "fantastic" magically two weeks (or even two months) later.

Aging doesn't fix "ass". It may mellow complex flavors and may smooth out harsh edges, but but beer that is terrible will not become magically wonderful. It just can't happen.

Most of my regular beers are consumed at about day 21-45 or so. Just like with commercial beers.

I never pull a taste sample at any point in the process.

However, I also never return post-boil hydrometer samples to the batch, nor do I bottle a partially-full bottle with the final dregs. So I get to sample the beer at every point in production that I care to sample. That is post-mash, post-boil, and pre-priming. (I also get a post-priming sample; I think this is detectably sweeter, but it might be in my head.)

I'm sympathetic to those who take more samples. It's a neat process and other than brewers, few people know what barley-juice goes through en route to beer. Whether it's "educational" or not, it's a sensory experience.

However, I think those three points are really the key ones. Post-mash you get a clean taste of what the grains did for you. After the boil, you have the last stop pre-fermentation. If two beers taste the same at that point but come out differently, that tells you something about your yeast or fermentation. Finally, at bottling you have beer. It's a preview of things to come. Sure, it's green, but in every batch I've done, it's drinkable. Once in bottles, it gets worse for a while before getting better, at least in my experience.

Is any of this necessary? No. If you don't find it enjoyable, you don't need to sample early. If you'd rather have the maximum quantity of entirely finished beer, then wait. That doesn't concern me, though. I've got plenty of beer in the closet, and I look forward to the occasional pipeline faults, since I use those to justify research into new commercial products. (Actually, I have sufficient supply now that I have to rely on the threat of a pipeline fault 3 months in the future if I want to justify that.)

But I think that part of the point of a DIY hobby is that you can do things you couldn't do by relying on others to make the product for you. If you like sampling in progress beers, that's great. You don't need any explanation beyond curiosity. (I bet you eat cookie dough, too.)

1. The zwickle is on the fermenter for a reason.
2. I do eat cookie dough (love it)
3. If you are not aware of this you should be but pasta (especially pasta though it is true of many other foods too) improves in flavor greatly after a couple of days of cold storage.

Back