Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do professional breweries ever use extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 03:42 AM   #21
HP_Lovecraft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerbil
As to Guinness not being Irish, I believe the point the poster was making is that it has not been Irish for a long time now,
True, though it wasnt meant as an insult. My grandparents came from Ireland, and I happen to like Guinness. My point was that it doesnt really matter where it comes from since Guinness itself doesnt represent much of Ireland for me. Its too hyper-marketed.

Oddly, during my last trip to Ireland, most young adults were drinking Budweiser. Also brewed at the Guinness factory in Dublin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 AM   #22
blaqball
Recipes 

I have these feelings too.
To me it's like making cookies from scratch or buying the just add water version.
It's sort of a bad example because the box kind taste better than my homemade cooking. Steeping grains is fun. Mixing in DME is not. Extracts seem so inside the box....boring. This much of that grain and this much of that one and this and that. I'm making my own beer. I want the best and I'm not looking for the easy way to do it.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #23
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Yes, there are breweries that use extract. In several cases I know of, it is a matter of waste disposal. If you can't sell (or give away) your spent grain, this can be a real problem.
There's a great brewpub in Portsmouth, VA, named Alt Platz, where all of the beer is brewed via extract + grain or partial mash recipes. The brewer simply can't efficiently dispose of several hundred pounds of spent grain. So, he buys bulk liquid extract at a very reasonable price, and his profit margin is such that he is now looking for a bigger venue. I had the good fortune to sit in on a brew day there, and I was very surprised at the simplicity of the process. It was simple homebrewing on a very grand scale. If you ask me, pure genius!

Old 02-24-2008, 04:18 AM   #24
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqball
I have these feelings too.
To me it's like making cookies from scratch or buying the just add water version.
It's sort of a bad example because the box kind taste better than my homemade cooking. Steeping grains is fun. Mixing in DME is not. Extracts seem so inside the box....boring. This much of that grain and this much of that one and this and that. I'm making my own beer. I want the best and I'm not looking for the easy way to do it.
You are highly misinformed. Though I brew all grain and take great pride and satisfaction in making great brew from fairly raw ingredients, I have to acknowledge that extract brewing affords almost as much flexibility as all grain brewing. Specialty grains can be used to GREAT effect in extract brewing. You should not discount it as a very valid and very creative process through which to create great beer.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #25
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally.
While this is still technically extract I wonder if it counts for the purpose of the poster's question. I mean, if they make their own wort and then concentrate it themselves (or contract to do it) for shipping and then redo it, it is a little different that a typical "extract" batch since they still control the ingredients, quality and consistancy.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
dmckean44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's a ton of breweries/brewpubs that make their own hopped wort and use that as a basis for 6 or 7 of their beers. I dislike these places because you'll order a sample flight and everything tastes the same.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
cowgo

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Turnkey Brewpub and Microbrewery Systems Supplies And Equipment Manufacturers

I've read some pretty bad reviews about this system, mainly because it's marketed to non-brewers who want to have a brewpub using extract and that it's a no boil set up.

I like their statement, "Our beers have won 1st place five years in a row." Of course what competition is never mentioned.
Kegged/bottled: Cowbrau Heifer Weizen, Kolsch, House Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Faux Urquell Blond Ale and Irish Red

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Water St. Brewery in Milwaukee is an extract brewpub. As has already been stated, I am sure there are more.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #29
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Water St. Brewery in Milwaukee is an extract brewpub. As has already been stated, I am sure there are more.
This explains why I have never cared for WSB's beer and always go to Lakefront when in MKE.

Quick Reply