The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do people simply keg their beer after the primary fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Default Do people simply keg their beer after the primary fermentation?

I am wondering if people normally keg their beer after the 2 week period when the beer has reached its FG?

The reason why I am asking is simple: I carb in the bottle and age there too. How does kegged beer get the carbing and aging?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I generally primary for a month then transfer to a keg. I'll let that condition for another few weeks after that. I then hook it up to CO2 For a day or so at 30 PSI, cool the keg, purge, and hook it up to CO2 at serving pressure. In about 1 week it's ready.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

People Like This 
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
packet
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts

Keg and force carb with a bottle of CO2. No need for a bottling bucket and no need for bottling sugar.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1277 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 516

There's a bunch of ways to do it.

Many folks on here go longer than 2 weeks in primary, and then straight to the keg. Hook up the gas at the appropriate pressure for the appropriate temperature, let it reach equilibrium, and you're good to go.

Some friends of mine transfer to a secondary THEN keg, just to keep sediment out of the keg.

And you can also naturally carbonate in a keg. Just add priming sugar like you do with bottling.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
And you can also naturally carbonate in a keg. Just add priming sugar like you do with bottling.
That's what I do. Three week primary, transfer to keg and add sugar. Start drinking it a month later.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I do 1 week in primary then keg most ales. It's not unusual for me to start drinking them in under two weeks grain to glass. But all beers are not the same. Dry hopping adds some time. Some yeast stains are slower or wont drop out in that time line. Sometimes I'll crash the primary or add finnings to the keg. If it's at FG and tastes good keg it. It's the safest place for it.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I cold crash a few days and then just racked right into the keg. Let it go in there for a few weeks to age/carb.

And just a note of habit that ive picked up after reading some tales on here... Once i rack I will pressurize with CO2 and vent a few times just to purge all the air out of it. Less worry of oxidation while moving and get rid of any bacteria or bad things the off chance that they got inside while racking.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 101 Posts

Since I mostly brew lagers, Once fermentation is done, which is about a week, I'll rack to a keg. Then lager. I never use a secondary.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
I do 1 week in primary then keg most ales. It's not unusual for me to start drinking them in under two weeks grain to glass. But all beers are not the same. Dry hopping adds some time. Some yeast stains are slower or wont drop out in that time line. Sometimes I'll crash the primary or add finnings to the keg. If it's at FG and tastes good keg it. It's the safest place for it.
Yes, me too. I normally go 7-10 days or so in the fermenter, then keg and drink. If I dryhop, I tend to add the hops right to the fermenter for 5 days, and keg on about day 12-15.

If the beer is done, and clear (or clearing), it's not going to get any "doner" sitting in the fermenter.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
Same here for the most part. Primary for 5-10 days, into a keg in fridge under 20psi for a couple days, dial back to 8psi for a couple days, and drink it up in the weeks that follow. Eleven days is about as quick as I've had G2G, and sixteen is more typical. The problem them becomes finding an empty keg when a fermentation is finished ; usually ends up being a sloppy weekend every few weeks

Edit: I should point out that some beers have definitely conditioned well and when I'm clearing the keg I notice it's getting good - these tend to be more complex grainbills with less late addition hops. Also, I've conditioned a robust porter in the keg with priming sugar for 4 months before and it was great (aside from a few changes I'd make to the recipe for next time).

Quick Reply