Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do dry hopped beers carbonate quicker? huh?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
othevad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Do dry hopped beers carbonate quicker? huh?

See subject.
I usually give my newly bottled beers a little shake test and look inside to see if it looks like it's carbonated. If it appears to be that way (no matter how long it's been in the bottles) I refridgerate one and try it a couple hours later.

Usually, as most of us know, it generally takes close to 2 weeks or longer to carb up a decent level. I've done a few dry hopped IPA's in the last 6 months and every time I do one, I swear to god, they carb up in like 4 or 5 days to a seriously good level.

Shun me for trying me bottled beer after 5 days, but if it's carbed up, why not. The question is this: do the hop particles remaining from floating dry hops that sneak into the bottle force carbonation quicker? Seems like it to me, but if anyone could confirm or deny this and why it would be awesome.
yep!
Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

I'm not totally convinced that the dry hop makes carbing quicker. But the thing is,you're not just waiting for them to carbonate. You're also waiting for them to condition,which ime takes about a week longer than carbonating for the beer to be nicely matured. For me that's 3-4 weeks for an average gravity ale.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

How long it takes to carb is dependent more on style and og/fg.

Basically a lighter beer such as an IPA with less malts to it will be a thinner and easier to carb beer than say a thick heavy Oatmeal Stout will be.

There are a lot of variables that could also play into it but dryhopping is not one of them IME

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
othevad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yep, I agree on the fact that they still need to mature to be at peak taste, but if I wanna sneak a few while I didn't have any homebrew in my cases I have no problem with that =)
I should actually say (as well) that the last one that did this was not quite light. It's probably not classified as an imperial, but it was an OG of 1.070 and FG of 1.011.

Quick Reply