Do brewers get drunk alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFun

Reaction score
Is that common? I always drink alone. A dangerous path it has been for two years.

I will have a beer or 2 alone, but never get drunk alone. I like to be social.

I think it depends on the individual. But I also can't find a consistent definition of "alcoholism", or "drinking problem", or whatever. Certainly better to drink alone than to drink and drive!

I drink alone!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXMAOgEIq4]YouTube - George Thorogood I Drink Alone[/ame]

I tend to drink alone but thats ok ... i have my other personality to keep me company. Right FireNightFly?

Right on buddy. We got each other bro.

I am like a 50-50 split. If I am out, then I am not alone, usually with just a few friends. But at home I am alone if I drink, I dont talk to my 2 roommates much. But I have been know to go to the bar by myself, however, I always run into someone I know and end up drinking with them.

I NEVER drink alone.......

I have all of you fine folk to keep me company :mug: :tank:

Hehe never thought of that. I like to be your and everybody's drinking friend. :)

My favourite video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am like a 50-50 split. If I am out, then I am not alone, usually with just a few friends. But at home I am alone if I drink, I dont talk to my 2 roommates much. But I have been know to go to the bar by myself, however, I always run into someone I know and end up drinking with them.

Got one bar where I live. But the beer is incredible expensive. Boring beer too. Costs over 10 dollars for 16.9 ounces. :(

Really, thats known as the bible belt? In Norway?

Yes from Aust-Agder to Møre og Romsdal is the bible belt. Called "Sørlandet".

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

I'm a member of the State Church. I'm not religious one bit, but it's nice to be buried in a holy graveyard along with my relatives. I like christmas though, and the thought of a child was born. Having a faith is nice, if I could belive.

As a homebrewer who is single, it's almost impossible not to drink alone. But I usually only get drunk alone when I've had a really bad week, or just haven't been drunk in a while and want to remember what it feels like.
The reason I say it's hard not to drink alone if you're a homebrewer and don't live with anyone is that usually you can't go out places and drink your homebrew. Kinda sucks but most bars would kick you out if you brought a homebrew and didn't buy their beers. So the only way to drink it is to bring it to parties, have people over or drink alone.

It's like 50-50 sometimes, although since my pipeline is sort of stacked at thee moment, more people wanna hang out.. hmmm, weird anomaly

ps, whisky lullaby- amazing song, big fan

As a homebrewer who is single, it's almost impossible not to drink alone. But I usually only get drunk alone when I've had a really bad week, or just haven't been drunk in a while and want to remember what it feels like.
The reason I say it's hard not to drink alone if you're a homebrewer and don't live with anyone is that usually you can't go out places and drink your homebrew. Kinda sucks but most bars would kick you out if you brought a homebrew and didn't buy their beers. So the only way to drink it is to bring it to parties, have people over or drink alone.

I'm in the same boat. Well, not single, but my girlfriend lives is finishing school in SC and I got a job in Cleveland last January. I brew mostly session beers, so while I drink alone all the time, I rarely get drunk alone.

Never truly alone.
Jake2.jpg

But I rarely actually get drunk...unless; for example, my alma mater blows a 24 point lead to it's biggest rival (like last night!).:mad:

I do it all the time. Well not alone my wife and kids live with me but
i usually stay out in my shop or back here on my computer. And i
hardly ever get drunk just really buzzed. LOL.

Ive always heard your not an alcoholic until you cant hold down a job..

yep all the time.
but sometimes if I'm lucky I get visitors that come over wearing uniforms and badges and whatnot.
Then we talk about various things, but mostly we talk about turning the radio down, and reminding me to stop singing at the top of my lungs at midnight.

They are normally reluctant to help drink my beer, but I think thats gonna change, because they told me last time that if they came over again they would take me to thier place to hang out.

what a bunch of nice guys.

Wait a sec...wheels spinning...so, let me get this straight: it is somehow wrong to get drunk alone? Man, all those country songs have been lying to me all those years. :mad:

[youtube]hMGpGZvr-G0[/youtube]

Never truly alone.
Jake2.jpg

But I rarely actually get drunk...unless; for example, my alma mater blows a 24 point lead to it's biggest rival (like last night!).:mad:

Off topic, but what breed of dog is that??? He looks a little like our golden cross breed, and we are trying to figure out what he is crossed with. (I should say he looked like that when he was smaller, he's up to about 90 lbs now)

I cant believe you irresponsible brewers are speaking of such things as getting drunk. This website is support the responsible consumption of beer:).....that being said I ONLY drink out of a thirty two ounce mug. Lets just say a belgian trippel with 8% alcohol, a night alone, and youtube videos of watching women get tazed by cops.....AHHH heaven.

I do it all the time. Well not alone my wife and kids live with me but
i usually stay out in my shop or back here on my computer. And i
hardly ever get drunk just really buzzed. LOL.

Ive always heard your not an alcoholic until you cant hold down a job..

I was just going to say that, I have my wife and kids, plus my dogs so I am never alone. I am also like you I never really get drunk just buzzed. If I get drunk I am with other people. But that is very rare.

I cant believe you irresponsible brewers are speaking of such things as getting drunk. This website is support the responsible consumption of beer:).....that being said I ONLY drink out of a thirty two ounce mug. Lets just say a belgian trippel with 8% alcohol, a night alone, and youtube videos of watching women get tazed by cops.....AHHH heaven.

This made me laugh

Well, to answer your question fairly - yes and no.

Do I drink alone? Yes. Noone in my family (wife/daughter) drink, so its usually daddy who is drinking a brew.
Do I get drunk? No. I usually drink no more than 3 beers in a given evening (and thats usually if Ive had a ****ty day) And they are normally spread out at that.

I like to get a little 'buzz' but I dont drink to get 'drunk'
-Me

I'm NOT an irresponsible brewer. I'm an irresponsible drinker!

Depends on how you define Drunk...

I drink alone, with family, or with friends. I've only passed out from drinking once, so I define drunk as passed out. And I wasn't alone at the time, my girlfriend slept with her head on my chest to make sure I was still breathing.

True Story... Beer + Run + Vodka + misc shots do not a fun night make....

So no, I don't get drunk alone. But I do drink alone from time to time.

I drink at home almost every night. Every once in a while the woman will have a drink with me. So I guess I'm not truly alone with the woman, my 8 month old son, and my dog. I try not to go out to often because I can drink A LOT and my wallet hates me in the morning. So much cheaper at home and if I want company I just invite people over.

Buzz driving is drunk driving ...
Something quite funny ... the people who have done the original ad have a website for health and safety. At the bottom right of their webpage are recipes for a Black & tan, margarita, & martini. Just thaught it was interesting.
Ad Council : Drunk Driving Prevention

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNHybKszUWo]YouTube - Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving[/ame]

Back