Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do any of you guys prefer and brew mostly lagers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default Do any of you guys prefer and brew mostly lagers?

It seems that ales are all the rage these days in America when it comes to brewing handcrafted beer,both commercially and also for the homebrewer, yet most beer drinkers in America and the world (except Britain maybe) drink Lagers almost exclusively. So do any of you homebrewers out there mostly enjoy and brew lagers? I haven't brewed a lager yet but I plan to soon.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I think it's more a case that lagers are more challenging to brew, since temp control is more crucial than it is for ales...And I'm sure most brewers don't have a dedicated fridge or chest freezer to keep the temps as low as is required..I brewed my first lagers this winter in using the pretty unheated storage in my loft building's garage, doing sort of ghetto lagering.

Plus I think lagers do get a bad rap, since BMC's are lagers, and despite the complexity with which they require are pretty bland and tasteless.

But having discovered maibocs, and especially, vienna lagers, I've found that some can be just as complex as many ales...I enjoy them, but I wouldn't say I prefer them over ales....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I prefer ales (never made a lager). I do not see why there could not be as many different styles of lager as ale, but I like hoppy and spicy, malty is ok, but I find most lagers fairly boring.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
bsruther
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lager is the most popular type of beer in the world, I think. I love lager beers, especially when they are crisp, clean and full of flavor. I'm trying as much as I can to get my ales to taste like a lager and they're beginning to come close. I'll make a lager when and if I get better at brewing.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently tried my first lager just to see if I could do it but it was enough of a pain that I probably won't do it again. Huge starter, chilling the wort, keeping it cold, and then the time requirement...although the sample at the end of the primary was pretty promising.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
mosyslack
doesn't drink...hahaha

Recipes 

I just brewed my 3rd lager (a swartzbier) and really enjoy the results. The biggest downside for me is the time required from brew day to drinking. I've got several carboys and one is being used for a mead right now. When I bottle this, I will probably have more opportunities to brew more lagers. Space is a close second, and a primary reason I have not bought a 5th carboy.

Drinking: 3rd Shift Breakfast Stout, store bought

Old 04-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

I do both.

I just today brewed my third lager in a row. I hadn't done any lagers since November.

Next month will be a lager and two ales. In June I will be too busy to brew, so I am getting the pipeline filled.

I am still using coolers and frozen 2 liter bottles for temp control. Hopefully, I will get my mini fridge based cooler done this summer.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
grammatron
Recipes 

I'm not a big fan of most lagers that I've had. I don't dislike them, I just don't enjoy them as much as the ales I've had. Of course, as a result I'm not as likely to buy and try lagers, so my exposure to them is much more limited.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Seriously though for all you new brewers/lurkers.. try a good swartzbier or Vienna Lager, or even a maibock, you will be converted to actually liking some lagers...I know I was...I used to hate most lagers (atleast the bohemian pilsmers that BMC is based on) until I tried beers of those three styles, especialy the vienna lager....they are amazing. Some worth Trying are, August Schell's Firebrick Vienna Lager, Great Lake's Elliot Ness Amber (vienna lager) and Trader Joe's Vienna Lager....

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
STB
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I currently on a try a different style every brew kick. Get the whole range of HB experience. I started with a stout,ale,pils and just brewed a lager this afternoon. So many recipes so little time.

Quick Reply