Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > DIY Immersion Worth Chiller - Double Coil or Single?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 400 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne17 View Post
Will this dual coil design really make a big difference vs the single coil? I don't have any plans to increase my batch size but who knows how much I'll get into this over the next few years!
Anything that increases your surface area will help.

I think moving the wort around the chiller is just as important as the chiller you use. Stirring or whirlpooling will give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It depends. The best bang for your buck is from moving the wort around. See my el-cheapo wort whirlpool device here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-whirlpool-immersion-chiller-system-sucess-384060/

Surface area helps but preventing temperature stratification of the wort is the most important factor in cooling. So a double coil vs single coil doesn't really matter if you are not moving the wort around.

If you are thinking about possibly upgrading your pot in the future to allow you to do 10 gallon batches, than I would make a single 50' coil IC. If not, then you could just go with a single 25' IC and lower your cost. However, $38 for 50' of 1/2" copper is a steal (I paid $75 for mine) so maybe you should just make a 50' IC and have your freind make one of his own.

Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

50' 1/2" for $38??? was it a clearence sale? That's great price

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
pmatson
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The actual coil is about a foot tall, maybe a little less. I coiled it around my bottling bucket to get the shape, which fits inside my brew kettle. The intake and outflow ends go up and over the side, and extend a good bit over the side so I don't have to worry about dripping water going into the kettle. I used a compression fitting with a garden hose attachment for the intake, so I can run the garden house into the kitchen. The outflow line is some becerage tubing that can handle near boiling temps and is attached with a hose clamp. Without the chiller, I would have had to lug 6 gal of hot wort down a flight of stairs; no bueno.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
pmatson
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Also, because my chiller coil sits low in the kettle, i give it an occasionally swirl with a sanitized spoon so that the liquid cools evenly. Otherwise, the wort was stratifying so the the surface wort was much warmer that near the bottom. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #16
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
50' 1/2" for $38??? was it a clearence sale? That's great price
Yea I guess it was $39.62 to be exact, plus tax. It was a great deal, the 1/4" x 50' was more expensive! Same brand too.

Pmatson, thanks for giving me the specs of your IC. I went to get some compression fittings and such for mine and will probably start to tackle it tomorrow. Looks like it's gonna cost me about $60 or so for a 50' dual coil. I got a t-compression fitting so I can split the water between the inner and outer coil. Hoping it cools it down quick!

There's still a big part of me that wants to use only 25' and reduce my cost that much more, but I think using all 50' and dual coil will help with the cool down and future batches larger than 5 gallons.

Thanks for the feedback!
Lorne

Fermenting:Tres Nieves Milk Stout Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter On Deck:Orange Belgian

Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
overflow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My suggestion is single coil. The reason being is that I prefer to continue to stir the wort while the IC is cooling, which reduces cooling time and keeps the hops in suspension. With a secondary smaller coil it might cool faster, but would probably make it harder to stir. YMMV.

Quick Reply