The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > DIY Immersion Worth Chiller - Double Coil or Single?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
lorne17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default DIY Immersion Worth Chiller - Double Coil or Single?

Hello there,

I am trying to put together plans to make an Immersion Wort Chiller. A friend found 1/2" x 50' copper tubing for $38 at Lowes this weekend. I can't decide if I want to make it a 50' long double coile wort chiller like this one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/doub...hiller-209708/

Or a single coil that's 25' long and get my cost even lower and split the line with my friend who is also making one.

What are your thoughts and suggestion? I also saw that spliting the inner and outer coils for water source is a good idea to get colder water in both. Does the dual coil really make a huge difference in cooldown time?

Thanks,
Lorne

Fermenting:Tres Nieves Milk Stout Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter On Deck:Orange Belgian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What size batches do you make usually? The more surface area, the faster the cooling. I made a 60' rib cage style and it chills fairly quickly for 6 gallons batches.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

How much wort are you cooling and what is your optimal pitch temperature?

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
What size batches do you make usually? The more surface area, the faster the cooling. I made a 60' rib cage style and it chills fairly quickly for 6 gallons batches.
I do 5 gallon batches. So really I'm only boiling about 2.5 to 4 gallons at a time. My pot is about 12" inner diameter and 17" tall. It's a narrow tall pot.

Fermenting:Tres Nieves Milk Stout Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter On Deck:Orange Belgian

Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
How much wort are you cooling and what is your optimal pitch temperature?
Well I have only made one batch of 5 gallons and my optimal pitch temp was 70F. I put it in an ice bath and it took about 17 lbs of ice and cooled in about 20 minutes. I'd like to at least be down to 10-15 minutes if I'm going to invest in making a wort chiller.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have a 25 ft coil. It will work for 5-gallon batches. It will take about 15-20 minutes to cool from boiling to 75. I think you might have a problem using it with larger batches.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

My 20 footer cools down my wort (5 gal.) in about 15 min. I use a recirc pump and a couple of buckets of ice water.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the posts, I am trying to avoid needing to use ice and just go straight from the hose. So maybe I need to do something like this: http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index...&productId=136

That way I have water running down on inner coil and up on outer coil. I Just need to find the right pieces of the puzzle to get the parts to split like that.

Will this dual coil design really make a big difference vs the single coil? I don't have any plans to increase my batch size but who knows how much I'll get into this over the next few years!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
pmatson
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. However, my options were reduced when my buddy decided he didn't want a chiller, so I made myself a 50' chiller for < $60. I do not regret it. Cheers.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatson View Post
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. However, my options were reduced when my buddy decided he didn't want a chiller, so I made myself a 50' chiller for < $60. I do not regret it. Cheers.
Sounds good PMatson...how tall is your IC? Is it dual or single? How quick can you cool it down?

Thanks,
Lorne

Quick Reply