Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Diving into All Grain from Extract, What grain should I buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
mrrrkva
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Diving into All Grain from Extract, What grain should I buy

Was going to put in a pretty big order of grain. I was an Extract brewer and moving to ALL grain.... I like APA's (real hoppy) and also like fruitier beers for the ladies. I did ok with wheat beers for the fruitier. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should buy for a base? I know I need to get some 2 row.... What hops are good for base. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Jcmccoy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Check this guys recipe list.

http://www.brew365.com/recipes.php

"Good people drink good beer"- Hunter S. T

Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For what you are looking to do, you can probably get away with getting standard 2 row pale malt. If you want something lighter, you could get pilsner malt, but it will typically increase the length of your overall brew day. As for hops, I would suggest some cascade for what you are looking to do. But, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe (if you can find it) would probably all work as well. They all lend a general citrusy flavor/aroma. But Cascade is probably the cheapest and most readily available.

Additionally, you'll need wheat to do a wheat beer. Some guys like to add munich or vienna to their APA's. Carapils and some light to medium roast caramel malts are very versatile and can be used in lots of beers.

Quick Reply