Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Discuss: what kind of wine do you like ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #31
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1226 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Pinot!.....

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #32
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blueberry by far.

Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 03-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #33
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like a good dry Concord grape wine. Niagara, Pink Catawba wines are great too, as well as a good dry Riesling.

Raspberry wine is great too, if you can find it.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 03-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #34
G-pa
Recipes 

I would have to say a pinot grigio.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #35
yogensha
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My favorite varietal is probably tempranillo. I really like Italian varietals as well... sangiovese, nebbiolo, dolcetto. I drink quite a bit of zinfandel. I don't drink much white. The occasional chardonnay or viognier and riesling or gewurztraminer when I want something sweet.

I'm better at pairing wine with food than beer, but that's changing!

...and port. Fladgate.

Last edited by yogensha; 03-20-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: ...and port!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #36
l3agel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
"Wine is my love, and beer my mistress."

I used to be in the same situation but now that I am actually brewing my own beer (versus purchasing wine) I think that things are the other way around or perhaps I am a Polygamist

Same here! My first year of university was at Brock in St. Catherines for Oenology and Viticulture. I hated the school, loved wine, but in the course of that year I noticed just how much more complex and creative beer is! Now I'm at a different uni for Biochem.

IMHO when making wine you are left with a certain set of agricultural circumstances, none of it is up to you. Brewing just gives you so much more to control to creatively express what flavours you want in your product. (that being said there are some fantastically creative winemakers out there using different kinds of wood for aging and all sorts of interesting things)

My favourite white varietal would have to be a nice spicy dry Gewurtz. But I really enjoy a Sauv Blanc from NZ and I'm always a sucker for a barrel fermented Chardonnay, I just love that apple pie/butter smoothness soooo much.

I had one chance to try an aged Riesling while at Brock. Tasted fantastic, like a grassy diesel-y lemon-drop candy (they have to be high ABV and Sugar to age well) it was a deep sort of golden colour too...

As for reds, I'm always in awe of how dark Baco Noir can be, but I really love the flavours of Cabernet Franc and Sauv. I could take or leave Merlot.

I live in the growing Lake Erie North Shore appellation of Ontario so I always get to see some great new stuff every year (though last summer was a terrible season). I even worked at Colchester Ridge Estate Winery this past summer which was a great job. Not to mention I got to drink some pretty damn good wine on a regular basis.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I couldn't rank beer vs. wine. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the one, sometimes the other. However, since I've moved out to California wine has definitely been a more common purchase. I mean first you can buy it in supermarkets which CT forbids and second its so freaking cheap. A bomber of arrogant bastard runs about 5 bucks; a bottle of a decent california cab sauv or a chilean sauv black goes for 2.99.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #38
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A good (preferably inexpensive) red.

Anyone had Black Box? It's da BOMB

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Quick Reply