Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Discuss: What is "Craft" Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Enggboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Discuss: What is "Craft" Beer?

Hello All,

A local (to me) beer blogger in Edmonton, Alberta has posted an interesting article attempting to define what a makes a particular beer (or company) "craft" or not.

http://www.onbeer.org/2012/10/around...efining-craft/

He does bring up a good point about the difficulties in trying to categorise something that is almost completely subjective.

What are your thoughts? What makes a beer (or beer company) a craft beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yes, it is subjective.

"Craft" beer is beer that's made with a focus on taste instead of volume or cost.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6335 Times on 5490 Posts
Likes Given: 853

They had to invent "craft" because some micros turned macro.

Sadly, it pretty much means non-BMC, though I'd argue churning out millions of barrels of light American lager is a craft in and of itself.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 529 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
They had to invent "craft" because some micros turned macro.

Sadly, it pretty much means non-BMC, though I'd argue churning out millions of barrels of light American lager is a craft in and of itself.
+1 to this. With the growth of companies like SA and SN they kind of broke the barrier. I personally dont drink BMC because Im not really a lager guy. But I highly respect what they do as far as size of operation and extensive quality control resulting in impeccable consistency.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
+1 to this. With the growth of companies like SA and SN they kind of broke the barrier. I personally dont drink BMC because Im not really a lager guy. But I highly respect what they do as far as size of operation and extensive quality control resulting in impeccable consistency.
I loathe AB, but I am constantly impressed with their QC and how tight the guidelines are across all their breweries worldwide. It defies logic to meet those tight a guideline but they have perfected it.

It is a craft at any level IMO, because consistent quality (good or bad) takes a certain level of science and art combined.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Are you selling beer or image?

If your marketing revolves around the flavor, ingredients, and process that goes into your beer, you're probably making craft beer.

If it revolves around how much fun you'll have with beach-volleyball-playing bikini models while watching bears play football without having to worry about the calorie count (or whatever... I may be conflating a couple different ad campaigns, here), it's probably not craft.

Yeah, yeah, sometimes they talk about rocky mountain water or triple-hopping or whatever, but the fact that you can't actually taste any of the things they talk about in the product reveals this apparent ingredient- or process-based marketing as a ruse.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

It has no real meaning in terms of a bright line test of breweries that fall in or out of the category. "Craft" is usually applied across many fields like "artisan" to mean a product produced on a small scale in a traditional craft-style production facility as opposed to a production line-style manufacturing facility but all or almost all of the mid to large craft brewers operate production line-style operations. It's really just become shorthand for breweries that make something other than an industrial light lager.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 132

We went to the Summit Brewery in Minneapolis a little bit ago and they claim under new 'guidelines' they are a microbrewery. Something about under 6 million barrels a year, is the new cutoff point. Up from a lot lot less.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

"Craft beer" is one of my least favorite terms in brewing. It's nonsense.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

I thought the 'definition' of craft beer had something to do with adjuncts being used for flavor (spices, fruit, whatever else), rather than lowering costs (rice and such).

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Quick Reply