Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Disappointed!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Disappointed!

So I was at the Kunsan O'Club Friday night, and they had a locally brewed amber ale on tap. I tried it once before and thought it was pretty good, and everyone was raving about it. I grabbed a pitcher of it, poured a pint, took a nice big swig...and then it hit me...band aids and cardboard - REALLY strong.

So I started asking my friends if they noticed a weird flavor in the beer, and almost all of them said, "Well, it has a bit of a nasty aftertaste." I told them to think about cardboard and band aids, and taste it again. They got a bit put off by the beer and we quit drinking it for the evening.

I asked the bartender if the beer is brewed on site. He said that it's brewed up at Osan (80 miles away). Damn. I wish I could've talked to the brewer about his brewing process (or sat in on a brew day). This batch of beer suffered badly from some of the classic off flavors produced by phenols and oxidation. Fortunately, not every batch is bad - it was good the last time I tried it. Hopefully the next batch turns out better!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

That's a shame. The experience The Kaiser and I had at the Raleigh beerfest last year was that brewers don't like hearing about defects in their beers from "amateurs"! Even if they taste like boiled cabbage...bleah. Don't ever drink anything from Azalea Brewing Co (if they're even still in business).

Old 03-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Don't ever drink anything from Azalea Brewing Co (if they're even still in business).
LOL!!!!!!!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe the pub needs to clean their keg taps and lines. I have had ****ty beer because of this.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

We had a local brewer that had a gorgeous 15 barrel setup, but had no clue how to brew. Other than color all of his brews tasted the same and he REALLY did not take criticism, amateur or pro . He lasted 14 months.

Wouldn't hurt to send the brewery a letter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
We had a local brewer that had a gorgeous 15 barrel setup, but had no clue how to brew. Other than color all of his brews tasted the same and he REALLY did not take criticism, amateur or pro . He lasted 14 months.

Wouldn't hurt to send the brewery a letter.

Sounds likes an arrogant SOB or somebody who's really thin skinned.

One has to listen to the voice of the customer. Make what they want or are willing to buy.

If I was professional brewer I think I might have problem taking some criticism. Even if I had the experience, I don't think I would want the job. The reason I say that is by some of the comments made on my own brews. Some people just talk to be heard w/o knowing what they are really saying. Like the saying, "I don't like hoppy beers.", but will say they like a good IPA.

You have to be able to filter the comments I guess. I suppose entering tasting competitions, and placing, is proof of what you make is good, also seeing what sells, and matching food with the style.

I was reading an airline magazine how beer is becoming more like wine, where resturants are matching beer with food like wine lists. The article mentioned Belgian Ale and some really sophisticated food that I can't remember, it goes to mention English Ales, German Lagers, and the West Coast Brews. In a nutshell they stated beer has more complexity than wine and that ordering a beer in a fine resturant is not a social faux pas anymore.

Some criticism has to be taken with a grain of salt. Also the people serving the stuff need to know something about the product to know when something is really wrong.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply