Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Different tastes in different bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
bennyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Different tastes in different bottles?

This may sound strange.......but with my last couple of batches I've noticed that while I'm drinking my beer I can tell a difference in the taste depending on the type of bottle I used.

I've noticed that if I use a Corona bottle, the flavors seem to come together and if I use a Newcastle bottle, it tastes.....not bad.....just still green.

I know that this sounds silly and there's probably nothing to it. I also know that someone is going to say something about using clear bottles. They were free and I've always used clear bottles.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has ever noticed anything similar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

sounds like you need a blind taste test.

find a good lookin honey to pour the beers for ya in the other room. and if your married, that problems is already solved

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The bigger question is why you're using clear bottles? You may be tasting your beer starting to turn skunky, perhaps different rates due to the different shapes of your clear bottles?

I'm no beer expert, just my guess. I've never experienced a change in taste, and I use all kinds of different brown bottles (longnecks, shorties, etc)

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for the blind taste test.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by febbrewro View Post
The bigger question is why you're using clear bottles? You may be tasting your beer starting to turn skunky, perhaps different rates due to the different shapes of your clear bottles?

I'm no beer expert, just my guess. I've never experienced a change in taste, and I use all kinds of different brown bottles (longnecks, shorties, etc)
There is nothing wrong with using clear bottles. The skunkiness comes from exposure to light, not the fact that the bottle is clear. IF you store them in a dark area or just keep them covered, the skunks will leave them alone.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

My Theme Song: "I Like Beer"

Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
jdp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRageous View Post
There is nothing wrong with using clear bottles. The skunkiness comes from exposure to light, not the fact that the bottle is clear.
That would be my guess as well though, How many people that drink intentionally skunked beer think that's how beer is supposed to taste (as in corona, Stella, or any number of other "import" beers.)

Not Criticizing you at all bennyd, but with the info you gave it just seems suspect. Could the clear bottles have been cleaned better than the amber ones because you were able to see any junk left in there?

I really don't use any clear bottles at all, but I do use green bottles for my 5 and 10 day samples, just because I have a few and want them out of the way fairly quickly. If they work for you though, keep using them.

niedrige Klasse Braugesellschaft

Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have the same issue. Beers in my grolsch bottles just come out better, I think it's a carbonation issue, and I'm not capping my beers as well as I should be.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well.....I knew someone would say something about clear bottles (and thank you for the replies, by the way). They are all cleaned thoroughly. The cases carbonate in a black garbage bag in a dark room and then go directly to the fridge downstairs. No exposure to sun at all.

The different flavor that I was talking about is not skunkiness. It is a bit of a watered down taste where the other flavors in the aftertaste haven't mellowed as much as they should. Maybe I need to wait longer to put them in the fridge. I've always gone 3 weeks. Maybe I'll wait 4 next time.

Just trying to start a discussion. I think I will definitely do the blind taste test.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Larger bottles like pints and 22's tend to take a little longer to carb and condition than 12 ouncers, so it is quite common to have different rates of conditioning in various sized bottles. But also just a tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

Each little bottle is a seperate microcosm, so they will react slightly different to each other. But usually they all will balance out given enough time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply