Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > differences in brewing costs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

US dollar growing weaker has changed a lot of the pricing structure in this industry. I know that the cost per bag we have been paying for milled grains has gone up a bit as well as hop and yeast costs.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Without trying to complain too much...

Pricing has been creeping up at my local store, which is a bit of a letdown. It's become a balancing act of should I buy something online and deal with the absurd $12 shipping fee (ie. for a pack of yeast, come on!) or feel like a sucker and pay a totally overpriced amount at the store, and only save a few dollars by walking instead of convenience of delivery.

However, while trying to put together a simple recipe with 11lbs of grain, 2 hop varieties and S-04, did a price comparison on 4 sites vs my local shop. It came out about ~$35-40 including shipping, or for the local price without shipping. So, I guess that's just "the price" for a batch, as there are no other options for my lack of storage space.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

The first shop I went to was through the roof. I didn't know any better at the time. They charge 17cents per ounce of grain. Sounds cheap huh? Until you do the math and figure there is 16 ounces to a pound and you need 10-14 pounds of grain. $20 for a hydrometer $12 for a smack pack $2.50ft for beer line. Thank god I found the shop I go to know before I got turned off from the hobby. Prices like that it would have been cheaper to stick to mr beer. It was ridiculous paying $70 for a 5 gallon batch of 5% beer

Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Hopper77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem
The most expensive AG 5 gallon batch I've made was a 1.074 IPA and that was only $30. If it cost me $90 for a batch I might not homebrew.
Agreed. The local microbreweries I've looked at to buy 5 gallon kegs are usually around $80-90 depending on the beer. If it was that high I'd rather just get my kegs filled

Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Hopper77
Recipes 

Another thing I'm concerned about is stepping up to 10 gallon batches. I have a few house brews I try to brew consistently. Usually never over $40. But if I have to double the ingredients I don't want to have to double the price. I'm reusing hop sacks and growing my own hops. Going to wash yeast for the first time at the end of this week. Trying to pinch every penny I can to keep this hobby viable. Last summer I was accepting donations from guys at work in exchange for growlers in which I would give them free beer. I was selling empty growlers at $12 a pop and filling them with whatever brew they wanted. I self 2-3 and that paid for my next batch. Currently looking into some other equipment to branch out to help pay for the hobby.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

This thread makes mefeel glad I live where I live - lots of local brewing tradition mean readily available sources if you're willing to buy bulk. A local microbrewery charges 1€ per kg of grain (pilsner, vienna, munich) - that translates to 45 cents (european) per pound. If I pick up a 50kg (=110lb) sack of the same malts at a local maltster, that'll cost me 30€. For a pound of Hallertauer Tradition the hop farmer charged me 3.60. Dry yeast is a couple bucks, even American produced liquid yeast is way cheaper online than what I read on here.
All in all, my latest 6g batch of an oatmeal porter cost me about 6-7€, including water.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I guess im cheap, i made only 2 batches with ingredients at regular prices and since then im getting much better at getting cost down ie next pale ale im making (10gal, og 1.055):
grain 21lb=$16 (base from group buy for around $0.6/lb+ 2lb of crystals)
Hops 5oz (1oz of magnum for bittering, 2oz cascade for late additions and 2oz for DH) ~$4, group buy
washed yeast+ starter from 2nd sparge running that i freeze=free
NG system= almost free
Looks like 10gal of good beer for $20

Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
cval
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i pay from $50 to $90 per 5.5G batch, this is buying mostly in bulk. Welcome to both the mexican industry of no-LHBS & the economy!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My beers are usually between 20-30$ for a 5 gal A/G batch. I find that it's not the grain that runs up the bill, for me it's the extra hop additions, oak coils, specialty yeast. I know these aren't required for all of my brews but when I want to get a little wild it hits my wallet first.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #20
rhoop
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Fair enough, I didnt think about all the fancy additions. I don't generally play around with anything but the basics, so spending $50 on cherries didn't cross my mind .

I usually bulk purchase base malts, then buy some specialty stuff by the lb. I buy hops in bulk online, and yeast from the LHBS.

I guess I've taken the availability and price of grains for granted! I will now appreciate it much more. I buy malt direct from Western Canadian malting. They have a warehouse about 45min north of where I live, so I make one trip a year and buy a few bags that I split with brew buddies.

Quick Reply