Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Difference between Porter and Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Kegstand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Difference between Porter and Stout?

Can anyone help me out on this? Have always wondered what the difference was.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
5L1mm
Recipes 

i think porters are a bit sweeter, or carmely-er, and stouts wile plenty dark have a cleaner flavor, and sometimes a bit sour.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From what I understand there is little difference. In fact at one time there was only porter and a stout porter came out (strong porter), later shortened to just stout.

Some people will claim one has roasted barley while the other doesn't and that one will have crystal while the other doesn't. I think...and I could be wrong cause I am drunk...that they are pretty much the same at this point in time. Although maybe a stout is still considered a fuller bodied, darker, ale. Although porters are pretty full bodied and typical dark (near or at black colored). I guess a porter could be dark brown.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the main difference is that stouts use a larger portion of roasted barley. Though the line between the two styles is obviously pretty blurry. There are a few good threads in the "similar threads" box at the bottom of the page.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
5L1mm
Recipes 

beersmith lists porters at 6.1 abv. and stouts at 4.9
porter has a final grav of 1.012-1.016 SG
stout 1.010-1.018 SG
so according to the documents they have the same sweetness but porters start with more sugar so theyre higher in alcohol.
to me stouts taste a bit more sour, and porters taste a bit more like oatmeal. thats how i usually know.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 5

wait....theres a difference??? what....

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_eric View Post
I think the main difference is that stouts use a larger portion of roasted barley. Though the line between the two styles is obviously pretty blurry. There are a few good threads in the "similar threads" box at the bottom of the page.
Ding, thats what I would say.

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

The roasted barley vs black patent thing is bs. A british brewer would laugh at you if you told them that. Sierra Nevada was one of the first US brewers to make a stout and porter and they put black patent in the stout and roasted barley in the porter. I often invite people who believe that roasted barley makes a stout to call Sierra Nevada and tell them they are doing it wrong, but I don't think anyone as taken me up on that.

Anyway, that whole thing appears to have been completely fabricated. The only that that is true even generally is that if a brewery brews both, the stout is stronger.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For one, Porter can kill you. At least in 1894 England it could (a storage tank of porter ruptured and flooded its neighborhood and killed 8 people).

But seriously, from what I've read, they are similar beers. Porters fit between English brown ales and Stouts. One source that I read calls porters "A fairly substantial English dark ale with restrained roasty characteristics. It typically has a higher gravity and more roast flavor and aroma than English brown ales."

A stout is a darker beer that is commonly around ~30-35SRM but goes up to ~40SRM color, whereas porters are closer to 20-25SRM and can get up to ~35 depending on the style).

Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #10
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Best source I know of to answer questions like this is the BJCP style guidelines.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Take a look at categories 12 and 13. IIRC stout (aka "porter extra stout") began as a style of porter (I might have read that on Wikipedia once upon a time).

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply