Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Didn't expect the local ASDA to sell craft beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
venquessa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Didn't expect the local ASDA to sell craft beer...

... but they do!

Went to buy some random beers and was expecting just commerical mass brewed stuff. However they sell lots of little local microbrewery ales. So I ordered a few.

I just wasn't expecting a huge supermarket like ASDA to sell these kinds of beer.

Also spotted, though didn't order, Guinness "Black Lager". Sounds very strange!

Paul
UK (Northern Ireland)
Brew Log: http://www.campbell-multimedia.co.uk/wordpress/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
venquessa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A "Belfast Ale" from Whitewater Brewery in the Mourne Mountains.

Tastes like home brew amber ale to me. Quite bitter, but clear, clean, mature, well presented. Label meets all the local regs. Nicely done.

Second looks even more interesting.
Clotworthy Dobbin (same brewery)

Bizarre. Deep, deep red ale. Has a complete WTF moment just after tasting it! They call it a "russet coloured ale"... with "fruity aroma" Hmmm....

There's a big kick of something right after drinking, like wood or smoke, it's not entirely pleasant.

.. actually it's not unpleasant, just damned weird.

Paul
UK (Northern Ireland)
Brew Log: http://www.campbell-multimedia.co.uk/wordpress/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply