*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Did I ruin my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
JMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I ruin my beer?

I'm new to homebrewing and I'm already addicted! I've got a quick question for anyone that can answer:

- I just racked my beer to my secondary carboy and had some issues with the siphoning process and introduced a LOT of air into the beer. Please tell me I didn't totally ruin the entire batch. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
uwmgdman

Recipes 

I had a similar problem with my second batch last year. My autosiphon kept losing the siphon (where the hose connects to racking cane). The beer in the line kept gurgling (sp?) and I had to restart the siphon probably 3 or 4 times. The beer turned out just fine. It was a tasty Pale Ale, the last bottle was about 6 months old and didn't show any ill effects of the process. The biggest concern with that is premature staling of the beer due to 02 exposure. Don't keep the beer around for a year and you'll likely be fine.

A side note, if you had the same problem as me, I fixed mine by buying 5/16" ID tubing instead of using the 3/8" ID tubing that came with my autosiphon. The 5/16" is a bit of a bitch to get on and off (generally run hot water over the end to losen it up a bit to get it off), but many batches later it is still working fine. My 3/8" got streched out after 1 batch and that's when my siphon keep leaking/being lost.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
JMO
Recipes 

Thanks for the good news. Next time I hit the homebrew store I'll have to pick up a new cane.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's ruined!

Disposal instructions;

Rack to secondary for 2 weeks, carbonate and bottle beer and then send to me.
I'll allow this only ONCE.

It is fine, don't worry about it.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply