Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Did I just ruin my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
troutab81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I just ruin my beer?

Racked my IPA to a secondary for clearing and dry hopping, but my autosiphon wasn't making a good seal, or my muslin bag over the siphon was clogging. Anyways, I couldn't get a good flow completely going.

There were air bubbles going through the tube, and I had to restart the siphon several times.

I am afraid I may have oxygenated my beer, thus ruining what was an expensive and fantastic tasting batch before I siphoned.

Anybody have a similar experieince and can share what they know? RDWHAHB? I know I can't do much now, but I am taking this to a party with the expectation of it being a great beer and am now concerned.

Is there any product I can add to the secondary to limit the effects?

Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

No

P.S. I did not even read your entire post.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No and I did read your post.

It takes a heck of a lot of O2 to oxydize your beer...more than normal racking activity, or even most of our more common boneheaded moves/mistake that we all make...our beer is hardier than most new brewers give it credit. Besides, oxydation is more of a down the road problem, the effects don't show up overnight...and even if we did introduce enough ppm's of O2 to damage it, most of the time we finish drinking the batch before it develops.

You almost need to be pumping an entire bottle of pure O2 into your wort to do enough damage...Nowadays it's even encouraged in higher grav (1.070 +) to introduce more O2 into the wort between 10-12 hours after yeast pitching (according to Chris White of Whitelabs)...an idea that was considered verboten not to long ago, but ideas change.

In otherwords, take proper precautions but don't obsess/worry about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
troutab81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No and I did read your post.

It takes a heck of a lot of O2 to oxydize your beer...more than normal racking activity, or even most of our more common boneheaded moves/mistake that we all make...our beer is hardier than most new brewers give it credit. Besides, oxydation is more of a down the road problem, the effects don't show up overnight...and even if we did introduce enough ppm's of O2 to damage it, most of the time we finish drinking the batch before it develops.

You almost need to be pumping an entire bottle of pure O2 into your wort to do enough damage...Nowadays it's even encouraged in higher grav (1.070 +) to introduce more O2 into the wort between 10-12 hours after yeast pitching (according to Chris White of Whitelabs)...an idea that was considered verboten not to long ago, but ideas change.

In otherwords, take proper precautions but don't obsess/worry about it.
Brilliant! Agree witht he precautions but tough not to obsess! You guys always answer quickly enough so I dont waste my day over it.
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

Quick Reply