Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Did I just kill my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
Dogphish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

listen to me, redwings. lumpher doesn't understand what you are trying to say. he still thinks you mean 1.100 SG, not 1.1% potential alcohol (which is definitely what you are reading).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish View Post
listen to me, redwings. lumpher doesn't understand what you are trying to say. he still thinks you mean 1.100 SG, not 1.1% potential alcohol (which is definitely what you are reading).
i understand the possibilities and that either way is possible. what i'm implying is that it needs to be clear if it's alcohol % or gravity. i wasn't the 1 taking the reading, so i'm not going to assume he's wrong, dogphish. if it's 1.1%, let it go longer. if it's 1.100 gravity and has been racked, too much viable yeast has been removed, and more needs to be added. i don't see how it could be 1.100 with that recipe, either

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #13
redwings0102
Recipes 

Quote:
I'll double check again first thing in the morning I guess. I was pretty sure I was reading the gravity side not the alcohol but hey maybe I had too many

Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings0102 View Post
I'll double check again first thing in the morning I guess. I was pretty sure I was reading the gravity side not the alcohol but hey maybe I had too many
If you were reading the gravity side then...well, you need to recalibrate your hydrometer. NB lists the OG of the extract version of that kit at 1.065.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
jeremyc50
Recipes 

After checking again this morning I had a reading of 1.090. While pondering if I had any clue how to read one of these on my drive home from work today I decided to make a quick stop at my local brew supply store. With my new hydrometer sanitized and ready to role I check it again. My gravity now reads 1.024.

It is common for hydrometer to go bad? It is a $10 glass hydrometer, nothing fancy, its not cracked or anything.

After less than two weeks and only a few days in the primary my gravity is right on target for a finished batch. Is it possible that my beer has completed fermentation 3 weeks ahead of schedule? Did I lose flavor from pulling it off the primary cake too early? There appears to be no yeast cake in the secondary AT ALL.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

new username?

i have no idea about hydrometers going bad. i guess anything is possible. it IS a mechanical device. i was thinking that maybe your hydrometer was clinging to the side of the tube (assuming that you do your readings in a tube).

it it totally possible that your beer is done fermenting. i fermented a 5% beer in 3 days one time. but, your taste can suffer by doing it that way.

at higher temperatures, yeast ferments more quickly, but it also give off more esters (unwanted banana and clove taste). many advanced brewers leave their beer in the primary for a month and skip the secondary. many of them also try to gradually lower the temperature after fermentation starts so the can extend the fermentation over a full month. you can gauge the fermentation level by how fast the fermenter is bubbling.

always use a hydrometer to ensure that fermentation is done. the hydrometer should give you the same reading for 48 hours before you bottle.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #17
redwings0102
Recipes 

Quote:
new username?
Haha, my bad. I went over to a buddies who is brewing the same beer as me (he have me the idea). He is the one that got me into brewing. I wanted to see how his batch was going and have a home brew of course I went on his PC and didn't realize he was logged in until he told me. Oops

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
jeremyc50
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings0102 View Post
Haha, my bad. I went over to a buddies who is brewing the same beer as me (he have me the idea). He is the one that got me into brewing. I wanted to see how his batch was going and have a home brew of course I went on his PC and didn't realize he was logged in until he told me. Oops
He's a nice guy, he just isn't that bright

Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
jeremyc50
Recipes 

On another note, his hydrometer is clearly off. The OG of the kit is only 1.065. I'm sitting at 1.020 after 3 weeks and it has finally stalled. Amazingly Redwings0102 has a gravity of 1.024 after a week and a half. I even used a yeast starter.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #20
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i don't think that points toward an badly calibrated thermometer. it could be two things.

1. maybe he just fermented at a higher temperature than you did. you could finish fermentation in one day probably, but the higher temperatures would ruin your beer.

2. fermentation usually very active the first week. the fermenter bubbles a lot and the specific gravity falls very quickly. so, if you charted the drop in specific gravity of the batches on a graph, the curve would probably be the same.

Quick Reply