Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Did I get a bad bottle of Delirium Tremens?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
I experianced that at a beer tasting on friday, the beer in question was a lambic though, and, we decided it was the bugs that make the beer sour, not yeast. Killer beer though.
I believe that is yeast too. To my knowledge, Lactobacillus does not form white clumps. There is a limited amount of brett in a lambic, so I doubt its the brett or its pellicle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
Which couldn't happen in this case because of the painted bottle.
Exactly.

(10chars)

Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
neuron555
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, we haven't heard from Curt656 in over 17 hours, but assuming he's still OK, it was probably yeast.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Neuron Nanobrewery

Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
JBStith
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the same thing happen with a bottle I had about a week ago. It was, without question, not yeast. Based on my drinking and brewing experience it looked like cold break, but I doubt that is what is was.

If it was yeast, it is unlike any that I have ever seen. It never settled, and stayed in suspension. Didn't seem to effect flavor and obviously didn't kill me.

But I had the same reaction, weird. I'm still not sure what it was. I bought only a single bottle, so I have nothing else to open and compare to at the moment.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 AM   #15
curt656
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron555 View Post
Well, we haven't heard from Curt656 in over 17 hours, but assuming he's still OK, it was probably yeast.
Sorry, lol. I am still alive. It is hard for me to say as I am not an expert on beer, though I have been drinking it for such a long time. I have learned more about beer in the couple of months on this board than I have in the 20 years I have been drinking it. I have seen yeast hundreds of times, but this looked nothing like anything I have ever seen before. I sent an e-mail to the Delirium Brewery in the hopes they can clear this up, so let's see if I get a reply.

I tried to collect some of these "snowflake" things with my finger and it seemed like they were kind of gooey. It was almost like really thin snot. I couldn't get any out because it just broke up into smaller pieces. I did not handle the bottle in any manner to disturb any yeast sediment. The bottle had been sitting undisturbed in my beer fridge for a few days. A friend of mine came over, so I thought we would split it. I pulled it out of the fridge, popped the cork and poured. The chunks came out right away. I looked on the bottle and there is nothing that says "expiration date." On the back label, there is what I assume to be a date code at the bottom with numbers labeled 1-12 and then numbers 08 through 12. There is a tick in the 01 box and a tick in the 08 box which would give a date of January 2008. I don't know if it is expiration date or born on date.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
Dr_Gordon_Freeman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know this is a necropost, but I just got a bottle of DT and it had the same floaties. Nevertheless it was one of the best beers I've ever had. (and it knocked me on my ass!)

Anyone find out what the blobs are?

Old 12-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #17
mplutodh1
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gordon_Freeman View Post
I know this is a necropost, but I just got a bottle of DT and it had the same floaties. Nevertheless it was one of the best beers I've ever had. (and it knocked me on my ass!)

Anyone find out what the blobs are?

Haha - guess it's a Christmas thing - we cracked a bottle of Delirium Noel tonight - same experience with floaters. Got to say, I don't mind Belgians but ... not a fan of this one, talk about tasting alcoholy ok hard to express but was not a fan!

- Matt
Shuksan Brewing | Plude Brewing | Our Brewery Build Thread - Single Tier HERMS | Our Brewery Build Plans | How-To: Draft Tower Assembly
Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #18
Ichi-Go
Recipes 

Both of the bottles I have purchased had these snowflate like floaties. One had tons and was cloudy from how much was floating around the other had 10-15 in it. I am pretty positive its just the yeast from the bottle breaking up and coming out when you pour. The bottle I had that was full of them was opened soon after riding in a car which might have upset more of the sediment.

Primary: Bavarian Hefe, American Amber
Secondary 1: Bavarian Apple cider/apfelwein
Drinking: SNPA Extract Clone, Red ale. Wannabe IPA, Apple/blueberry/pomegranate/rasberry/white grape.... cider

Old 12-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt656 View Post
...I did not handle the bottle in any manner to disturb any yeast sediment. The bottle had been sitting undisturbed in my beer fridge for a few days. A friend of mine came over, so I thought we would split it. I pulled it out of the fridge, popped the cork and poured. The chunks came out right away...
Exact same experience for me.

The floaties looked more like mold than yeast to me. Like the little white patches that grow on a bread crust.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #20
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know it may not look like your average yeast chunks in there, but I assure all of you that's all that it is. It is an odd strain of yeast that tends to do this, and it is commonly known and widely understood that it happens. I also believe that it happens with La'Chouffe beers as well.

Quick Reply