Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Diagnosis Gout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #11
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

It's probably beneficial as stated above to accomodate you diet by gettin more of and taking out of, but still being able to enjoy beer. If i had gotten this i definatly would do some eating changes and see if that works.
Im not shure where this fits into a gout diet but i do know that fresh pineapple is good for imflamation. Definatly look into it,its free because you need to eat anyway,just more specific things,good luck and let us know. A book called prescription for nutritunal healing probably has a specific food do's and donts to accomodate this.Ive learned a great deal of good-health through this book.Certain vegetables are healers,its medicine and if you get a juicer it can taste like medicine too,but you shure feel good.
If its from the beer yeast, i would skip out on drinking the yeast sediment if your drinking alot of homebrew, but there definatley is a balance when it comes to getting the right amounts of stuff or if your getting too much of something.
Specific food changes should help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I agree with the cherry extract. In my case it didn't help. I'd rather drink cherry juice than take drugs. I've had chronic Gout for a little over 30 years now, and had to go on medication. The attacks would last a week and come in three to four week intervals. It was debilitating. The pain and the depression from knowing what I was in for was getting to me. The funny part of the whole Gout thing with me, is that I had my first attack after brewing beer. I thought that I re-injured my broken foot while carrying filled carboys. Of course I didn't go to the Dr.. Only after my toe swelled up the size of a golfball and I couldn't stand the pressure of a bed sheet on it, did I go. I do eat red meat and even seafood once in a while, but in moderation. I lost weight, too. If you followed the diet that a person with Gout is supposed to, a rabbit would starve to death. Stay healthy! Because if you don't, you're wives or girlfriends may sell all your equipment or use them for flower pots.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

All im sayin a good rule of thumb is fill up your plate raw vegetables as much as possible most of the time,less cooked the easier it is on you less time to cook also.but eat what you want ocassionally and in moderation,its the majority of what you eat that matters really.There are people that live to eat and people that eat to live,when it comes to better health you have a choice.And there is a hell of a good world of tastey healty food too that most cheeto eating people may never know.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
morebeerpls
Recipes 

I am pretty much a vegetarian and I just got gout, I can only assume from beer. I drink 1-4 pints of beer a day. I eat no shellfish, no red meat, just chicken once a week or so and only cooked vegetables, and fish. (cooking makes things easier to digest, despite what paleo fads say). Another thing they said contributes is bran and lack of dairy. I hate dairy and eat tonnes of bran. Figures. I only drink water and alcohol, no pop or juice or any other drinks.

Pretty bummed out about it as I have been laid up for several days and have no one to blame but myself. I have been drinking like this for years and have just got it now. So I think it comes on the older you get. I am optimistic about trying the cherry juice. My wife did get me lots of cherries and I have been eating them. Perhaps the concentrate will work well for me.

Just wanted to add my two cents. You can think you are eating entirely right and get it. I have a steak on average once every 3 months. Makes me want to switch to homebrew of wine really. Wonder if i could add cherry juice to the brew at the kegging stage to negate these damn purines *sigh*

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 264

I am pretty much on a red meat and veggie diet (low carb+beer). I eat everything that they say not to eat, shellfish of all sorts, fatty rich meats and beer and wine, but I usually don't eat processed carbs and sugars.

I only get gout when I fall off the wagon and eat bread and sugars.

In my case, I'm pretty sure that sugars and wheat (things that spike my blood sugar) are what brings it on.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Quick Reply