Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Diagnosis Gout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Wellshooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Diagnosis Gout

Brewed with a sore foot weekend before last. Next day I went to the doctor. His diagnosis - gout. He listed a few things that should be removed from my diet. Shellfish - no problem, I'm 300 miles from a decent source, Red meat - a little harder, can I cook it till it's black? Beer - OMG BEER !! You can't be serious !! Yep he's serious, especially homebrew, it's the yeast intake, turns into purines, which begets uric acid, and don't forget the alcohol, that's not good either.

Sigh!!

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Sorry buddy.

There's a few thread discussing gout and homebrew. You might find some info in them. IIRC this is a pretty good one. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gout-homebrew-89524/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/got-...9/#post2357326

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gout-homebrew-89524/

If you google homebrew and gout you get some articles, and if you google beer and gout you get different articles, like this one,

http://arthritis.webmd.com/news/2004...ease-gout-risk

I'm no doctor, so I don't know, and I'm not sure how much of the "homebrew causes gout" stuff I believe either, but it's worth you doing some research on your own an/or with the doctor....but don't let him/her be an alarmist to you either, and make you do somethign you prolly don't want to do like stop drinking homebrew....like I said there's a lot of mixed info either way on this topic.

Though a lot of people say cherry juice seems to help them...

Good luck

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never had gout but it runs in the family, my relatives swear by black cherry juice for gout relief, you might try that.

Edit: I think you drink it as opposed to soaking in it?

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Sorry to hear this. Definitely heed the doctor's advice... Perhaps once it's under control you can re-introduce the homebrew later in small doses.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
clamflats
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pay attention to the things you eat and you will figure out what sets it off for you. Some of the things besides alcoholic beverages: spinach, clams, oysters, beans or any legume, fish although they say some are good for you, and red meat. Vegies that are not green are good, its the green ones that can cause trouble. Root vegies are a no no. All said and done when I have an attack its brown rice and corn for me until I get it under control. Good luck and eat some cherries or drink some cherry juice every day to keep it away.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is it just the yeast itself? A filter is a pretty cheap investment vs. not brewing.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Never had gout but it runs in the family, my relatives swear by black cherry juice for gout relief, you might try that.

Edit: I think you drink it as opposed to soaking in it?
I second this. I have had some real painful bouts and have taken the medicine that is prescribed-the one where the directions were to take a pill every hour until the pain goes away or you get the $hits and the results happen at the same damn time...

I love red meat, oysters and beer and didn't want to give up any of them.

I tried black cherry extract. The stuff works so well it should be illegal

If I feel a twing in my toe, I take a couple of teaspoons of the juice and it is almost instant relief.

Some people take it about once a week. I only take it when I feel a flare up coming on.

You can get it at GNC and keep it in the fridge. Give it a shot, it works for me.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I feel your pain, literally. You have the "disease of kings and the king of diseases." There are different types of Gout. Chronic, acute and pseudo. The earliest written evidence of the disease goes back to the Pharoahs. Ben Franklin suffered from it, too. I've been on every drug known to curb Gout. The only one that is working is Uloric 80 mg.. Alupurinol didn't help. Indomethacine helps knock down the swelling and pain, but it's tough on the stomach. Uloric, so far has been the best. I haven't had an attack since taking it. I've had Gout in my knees and toes. Sometimes in both legs at the same time. If you don't take care of it, you're looking at joint destruction and kidney failure. A high protien diet will cause flare ups. Stay away from red wine. If you like wine, drink a little white. Spinach and asparugus are on the no eat list, too. Stay away from whiskey, and slow down on beer. If your Dr. puts you on Alupurinol take it every day. If you get off of it you will induce Gout. If the Alupurinol doesn't help, ask him about Uloric. Hope you get well.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I would recommend trying the cherry juice before you get the drugs. I eat pretty much what I want and don't worry about it anymore.

It certainly can't hurt to give it a shot.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've heard about the cherry juice and went straight to the health food store for the concentrate. I've been drinking 2 oz of concentrated black cherry juice in a bottle of water almost every day. The pain is gone and the swelling has subsided. I just don't want to have a recurrence so have backed off the beer. Beer is my favorite food though so I may be testing my limits again soon.

I'm certainly glad to hear that there is some agreement on the black cherry juice. I find that an easy medicine to swallow.

Thanks for all the info. I will study it. I knew you guys would have some beer specific info on gout, and you did.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Quick Reply