Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Diabetic friendly beer trials and AE disscusion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Diabetic friendly beer trials and AE disscusion.

Hello,
I have seen this topic come up from time to time with no real evidence to prove things one way or another, I hope this thread will help someone else out as well as me and mine. I do understand that beer/sugar + substitutes do not effect ALL diabetics the same, as such I am not responsible for YOUR health.

HISTORY:
Last year my wife was diagnosed with diabetes. She is able to control it for now with diet and exercise. Part of this diet, she decided after multiple blood tests, that beer was causing her to have large sugar spikes. She loves craft beer and has had VERY few since then. She now drinks Jones Zilch Pomegranate and vodka on the rocks.

I researched and read up on some older tests done with diabetics and alternate sugars as well as held very in-depth technical questions with a nutritionist about different sugars, sugar substitutes and how these effect both diabetics and non-diabetics alike normally. (I was a PITA I am sure.)

Time elapses and I find myself reading on how to convert grains like corn without the use of barley using an enzyme found in saliva (I believe it is called chicha or something similar) A few recipes later and I find a brewer that uses Amylase Enzyme or AE which is very similar to the enzyme in saliva that breaks apart long chain sugars into simple, fermentable sugars.

I have read that Beano is NOT the same as AE and will never stop breaking the sugar chain where AE will eventually stop. I also discovered that AE becomes "inert" or is destroyed in the boil. For my purposes I have decided to use only AE.

MY PLAN:
I plan to use AE in a lower gravity beer. Starting gravity of about 1.046 as an example. Then add AE into my standard mash and into the runnings and allow the runnings to "rest" while the next runnings are collected, I will refer to this as an AE rest. (I batch sparge ) I let the last runnings rest as well for 30 minutes.

I drew up some conclusions and approached my wife with the idea of making a diabetic friendly beer. She was excited and has volunteered to take blood readings when she tries these beers with a "low carb food intake day" as if we were planning to have some drinks & fun that day.

The 1st 2 beers I have already brewed and are being carbed up now. The wife is very excited to try these beers.

The 1st beer is an "Irish Stout" nothing fancy but I thought I would attempt to counter the effects of the AE with a little Lactose. While "not to style typically" I only added a very small amount of Lactose and it seems to have done pretty well at "back sweetening" the stout to where it seems normal. It also adds a tiny bit of creaminess to it which I am hoping will make it seem like it was closer to being on a nitro tap. IMO it does not taste or resemble what I would call a "Milk Stout". Lactose in studies does not seem to raise blood sugar levels.

The 2nd beer is my "end of the year IPA" you know the one where you throw in all sorts of hop remnants and such. I was going to back sweeten this one with Xylitol but it really does not need it. Xylitol is Sugar Alcohol and can be eaten by diabetics, many sugar-free candy is made this way. This is my "ace in the hole" so to speak. When I create a beer that is "to dry" I will back sweeten with either of these 2 sugar substitutes or even a combo of them.

The warm flat samples were no joke and I am not be able to tell the difference from a non-diabetic friendly counterpart, at least at this point.

THE WAIT/TALK:
I will report back either after this weekend or the next, depending on when she wants to try it. (I will be having some on this weekend to see if it is carbed up.) FWIW I also force carb in kegs for this.

I am now planning future brews with the AE rest in mind. I am thinking about a Pilsner malt, Aramis hop, French Saison yeast SMaSH. Instead of adding in table sugar the AE should do the same but be better for me and my wife???

I do not think I would try a RIS this way but I think there are many styles that could really benefit from this.

Any thoughts??? Anyone else ever try this? or use AE in this way?

onthedot Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

nvm

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Okay, so here's the big kicker for you:

How do you prevent your wife's body from metabolizing the alcohol into sugar?
The way I understand it (and I can be WAY off here) is that there is sugars that are absorbed into the blood stream, there is carbs and there is calories, these are not the same thing but can overlap.

Alcohol, like vodka, is mostly calories with a low to no carbs or sugars. The "bad guy" in beer is the residual sugars left behind that do not ferment. This is why I am breaking apart some of these sugars, then back sweetening with things that are industry diabetic sweeteners.

Another part "diabetic friendly" NOT "diet" is another clue/key. The reality is that no beer is really good for a diabetic but these should be "better" than the average beer that is available.

My goal is not to allow the wife to get bombed on beer, rather to allow to intake some. She has tiny sips of mine and is filled with jealousy when sampling mine, she tells me so. My wife never really drank tons of beer in a sitting. I think at most she would have 5-7 an evening. If you are the type of drinker that has more than this, this may not be the ticket either. Think how your world would be living with a craft beer enthusiast/home brewer and you get to have soda and vodka... I imagine I would do just about anything to be able to have 1 or 2 beers in an evening vs. none at all.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
SaltyTX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Alcohol isn't the problem for a diabetic, it is the quickly metabolized sugar as indicated. That's why they can eat fibrous carbs (fruit, some whole grain bread, veggies)

I know many diabetics who suffer no ill effects from drinking too much red wine. White wine though, bad bad bad.

I will say some of those "diabetic friendly" sweetners will taste like crap as I am sure you've tried. This will be a big hurdle, IMO

Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTX View Post
I will say some of those "diabetic friendly" sweetners will taste like crap as I am sure you've tried. This will be a big hurdle, IMO
This is why I am using Xylitol. It seems to be the least offensive. Also remember that I am not trying to make the beer to be perceptibly sweet, I am only adding in small amounts in hopes to regain some of the flavors lost to the AE breaking down sugars that would have otherwise not been fermented.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Have you tried truvia? Best non-sugar for baking, by far.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Zamial,
I am very interested in your results and youre wife sugar readings. I am suffering from Kidney failure so I have to control all liquids, lower my phosphor and potasion and watch my diet closer than some diabetics. Please post up your results.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3683 Times on 2268 Posts
Likes Given: 3187

I used it. Works great. I did a quick test in a hydrometer jar, then added to my main fermenter (of oatmeal stout). Pics and stuff here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/esc...rescue-212926/

Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Interesting topic. Definitely interested in the results. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Default 1st results

I 1st will post up some tasting notes. I gave this to home brew club members and they said it was "to style" and very good. They did not think it was "diabetic" in anyway. My neighbors also had some and they think Beck's is a great beer...they also really enjoyed it...and we drank LOTS of it... (It should be noted that there LOTS of other beer was available but we all barley touched it.)

The wife had a low carb day as planned, she took her blood and for drinking as much and as long as she did her blood never went over 95 on her glucometer. She took a reading before, during the evening, at the end of the evening and this morning.

I think this is a "success" by every measurable way.

Quick Reply