Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Diabetes and Beer, Friends?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Diabetes and Beer, Friends?

Yo all. I am a type 1 diabetic, I am insulin dependent (using a pump), and I love beer and brewing. Was diagnosed at age 23, and got into brewing about age 25. I am now 30. I am totally in love with brewing/studying/drinking great beer. I compete with my beers very often, and I take everything about this hobby very seriously. I've brewed over 200 gallons this year so far and I'm still accelerating.
As far as health concerns, I find that while I keep myself in top physical shape, I find very little problem with drinking my own beer, or most others.

I guess I just wanted to see how many are here and like me: diabetic. If so, is there anything to you do especially to address your health issue? Like severe drinking limitations, or special low-carb recipes, etc. I just make whichever beer I want, although I can't sit and drink a couple thick chewy beers without compensating with at least a bit of insulin.

Anyway, I'm totally happy with how things are going and at this point I'm not feeling any real disadvantage.

Cheers to all, especially to you insulin-dependents

Holler back please if you have a similar situation or know someone who does

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Budzu, your not alone. I'm type 2 because I'm lazy but my wife and son (18 now) are both type 1 and pumpers as well.
Carb counting is easy but as you drink alcohol it holds in the liver and if you have one beer with X carbs, you cannot drink 10 and have 10 times X for the same carbs. It'll make you bottom out.
My wife like to drink beer and every once in a while she will have too many and I usually have to feed her in the middle of the night.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My dad is type 1 also and not sure if he compensates with extra insulin ever but I believe he generally just drinks less to make up for it. gl!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My wife is type 1 for 26 years now and has been on the pump for the last 7 years or so. She doesn't drink though. It's a shame she doesn't drive either or I'd have a built-in designated driver!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey
I am the father of 3 teenage daughters, all have Type 1 Diabetes. The 2 oldest are on the pump, my baby uses syringes. The oldest just started college and she likes to have a couple of beers every now and again, but she's pretty good about monitoring her blood when doing so.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

chronic high BS and alcohol consumption increases your risk for secondary complications to DM...hypertension/retinopathy/neuropathy.

Quick Reply