Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Designing Great Beers - not impressed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
mklawz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im glad some other people out there arent enamored with this book either. Seems to me a lot of just reciting statistics - in the second round we found this many samples..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #22
Duster72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
And that's the point. Rather than read through a gajillion recipes, he's condensed the gajillion recipes into a convenient, handy chart. Not only that, but he's told you things like award-winning bitters are brewed with, say, 80% pale malt, 10% mid-range L Crystal malt, and 10% sugar.
That's what the book is good for. It's a little bit dated and could use a 2nd edition, but it's still great.

It gives you the basic parameters of the most successful examples of the style. You may then take those commonalities and use them to DESIGN your own version of the recipe.

I am pretty sure Jamil formulated all his recipes off the Daniels book. Today, I would brew Jamil's recipe and if I didn't like it, go back to Daniels and see how I might be able to tweak it.

I really don't see how anyone could not like the book.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #23
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I really liked it, but I also really like having numbers at my disposal. I am pretty terrible at following any recipe, so things like 40-60% of people in the second round used X grain is really nice. Then also knowing how much they used, etc.

I don't think of it as a be all, end all, book. But its a nice resource to have around.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #24
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was mainly disappointed by the lack of many styles that I want to brew. It is very nice for the styles it covers, though, again, not complete by today's expectations. I also feel that the section on porters is woefully disappointing.

Quick Reply