Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #31
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Then don't wait 2-3 months. I don't. AFAIAC, this beer is best within the first month after brewing.
Denny, you always know the perfect thing to say .

This is good to hear, because I am already chomping at the bit, and I've only had it in the fermenter since Monday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #32
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

ANY beer is ready to drink when your tastebuds tell you it is! It depends on flavor, not the calendar!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

People Like This 
Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #33
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

'tis very true. My APA is generally best at about 6-8 weeks but my Imperial Stout tastes great when it's coming out of the fermenter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #34
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10317592

That's what I've been using for a while now.
I've tried both Watkins Pure Vanilla Extract & Real Vanilla Beans. There really is no comparison IMO. The extract just leaves a bite & the beans are smooth.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #35
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Iam doing this batch this weekend. It is my first HG brew and have a question about the pitching rate. I see that it calls for an 1800ml starter. I only have a 1000ml flask. I do have a 1/2 growler but I do not think that the stir bar I have ( the small one) is going to work with the growler and stir plate.

Option 1 is make a 1800ml starter use the stir bar and hope it works. I can just aerate the crap out of it via direct O2 injection before adding yeast.

Option2 Just make a 1000ml starter

Option3 Use a dry yeast. If I go this route is one packet enough or go for 2? Rehydrate or not?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #36
dragon99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacker View Post
Here's where I got my beans . . very nice quality and decent price . . .

http://www.beanilla.com/vanilla-bean...la-c-1_17.html
Dropped my bean in last night. I only did a 3.5gal batch (6.5gal carboys were busy). Personally you just can't compare extract to real beans. And at the prices beanilla charges there's no reason not to use the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Then don't wait 2-3 months. I don't. AFAIAC, this beer is best within the first month after brewing.
Music to my ears

Homer: “I’m feelin’ low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?”
Apu: “Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it.”
Homer: “Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.”

Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #37
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Iam doing this batch this weekend. It is my first HG brew and have a question about the pitching rate. I see that it calls for an 1800ml starter. I only have a 1000ml flask. I do have a 1/2 growler but I do not think that the stir bar I have ( the small one) is going to work with the growler and stir plate.

Option 1 is make a 1800ml starter use the stir bar and hope it works. I can just aerate the crap out of it via direct O2 injection before adding yeast.

Option3 Use a dry yeast. If I go this route is one packet enough or go for 2? Rehydrate or not?
I vote option 1. If the stir bar doesn't work, it'll just take a bit longer.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #38
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

which liquid yeast? i would just use us05 or us04 or notty. one packet

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #39
dragon99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post

Assuming the stir bar doesn't work, Option 1 and 2 will yield about the same cell count. I can't find the chart now but a non-stirred starter requires about twice the volume to achieve the same cell count increase. The mrmalty.com calculator will tell you this (4.5L simple starter w/ oxygen or 2.25 L stir plate starter)

One suggestion is to use the growler and if the stir bar doesn't work just shake it as often as possible. This will give better results than just letting it sit.

Homer: “I’m feelin’ low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?”
Apu: “Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it.”
Homer: “Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.”

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #40
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

One thing I've been interested in trying, but have not (and I haven't heard of anyone else doing it) is making 2 starters and combining them.

If you need 1800 mL, you could make a 900 mL starter, then when you're confident the consumable sugars are gone, put that in a sterilized container (perhaps that growler) then make another 900 mL starter. You would only need 1/2 of your yeast packet/vial for each starter. It would take longer, and I don't think you'd be ready by this weekend, but I think it should work just fine.

What I did for this brew (I don't have a stirplate) is I used a (roughly) 3000 mL starter. I took a large jug I have, made my starter in that, and then everytime I walked by it in the kitchen, I opened it up, expelled the CO2 in the headspace out of it, let it fill back up with O2, then shook the crap out of it. I probably did this 10-15 times over a 2.5 day time period. I got VERY aggressive fermentation after I pitched. I have not taken FG yet, however.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Quick Reply